Superfuzz treadle removal debacle

Everyone needs a stompbox.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Superfuzz treadle removal debacle

Post by JSett » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:57 pm

I've decided to go through some stuff and do some overdue maintenance.

This needs a new footswitch:

...but I can't for the life of me work out the best way to remove the treadle to replace it. The retaining rod seems to be press-fit into place and I can't see any obvious ways to remove/disengage it bar simply trying to knock out the pin with a hammer and punch. The rubber pad is pretty firmly in place and I don't want to tear it - but it doesn't look like it needs to come off regardless, just the whole treadle.

Any ideas or experience here? Before I crack out a hammer
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Superfuzz treadle removal debacle

Post by fever606 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:19 pm

Can you get a wrench/spanner in under the pad and around the nut on the switch? Then you could just remove the switch from "inside" the pedal. It'd be fiddly but probably less work than removing the foot pad...

I've not investigated doing this on mine - thankfully the switch is still going strong!

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:31 pm

fever606 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:19 pm
Can you get a wrench/spanner in under the pad and around the nut on the switch? Then you could just remove the switch from "inside" the pedal. It'd be fiddly but probably less work than removing the foot pad...

I've not investigated doing this on mine - thankfully the switch is still going strong!
Unfortunately not, it's in a little sunken 'pit' in the enclosure. The nut is totally obscured

fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fever606 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:44 pm

Harumph... clearly I've not looked that closely at mine! :fp:

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:03 pm

I actually, in the meantime, carried on googling and found someone on a page saying to just tap out the pin. A few swift hits and it popped free!

Now I've measured up the switch, and giving it a good lube and clean, I put it back together until I can find the right unit.

...putting it back together is also a massive pain :D :D :fp: :fp:

Fortunately it's working a lot better now. It's engaging 9/10 times, rather than 3/10 before. Maybe I'll leave it for the time being

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:37 am

Super jealous! I used to have one of these, and it sounded incredible. Unfortunately, it ended up sounding weak with almost no output, so I sent it away to be fixed and never got it back. :'(

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:25 am

CorporateDisguise wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:37 am
Super jealous! I used to have one of these, and it sounded incredible. Unfortunately, it ended up sounding weak with almost no output, so I sent it away to be fixed and never got it back. :'(
Wow, that really sucks! I'm sorry to hear about that. I've had that happen too with a Dunlop Roto-Vibe and I remember seeing it at the shop I sent it too. When I asked about it, they said their repair guy hadn't come by yet and that was the last time I saw it.
She/Her

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:57 am

hulakatt wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:25 am
CorporateDisguise wrote:
Wow, that really sucks! I'm sorry to hear about that. I've had that happen too with a Dunlop Roto-Vibe and I remember seeing it at the shop I sent it too. When I asked about it, they said their repair guy hadn't come by yet and that was the last time I saw it.
Thats a bummer.

I sent mine to another forum member. They worked for a company that made clones of the Superfuzz circuit. He left the company pretty soon after, and ghosted out on his forum accounts. He was friendly and seemed knowledgeable, and the company he worked for was reputable, but once I sent the pedal, he basically vanished. The company said they were unaware of the situation, but gave me a few more ways to contact him, but of course he never answered. As much my fault for not going through more secure channels. Lesson learned.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:17 pm

CorporateDisguise wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:57 am
hulakatt wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:25 am
CorporateDisguise wrote:
Thats a bummer.

I sent mine to another forum member. They worked for a company that made clones of the Superfuzz circuit. He left the company pretty soon after, and ghosted out on his forum accounts. He was friendly and seemed knowledgeable, and the company he worked for was reputable, but once I sent the pedal, he basically vanished. The company said they were unaware of the situation, but gave me a few more ways to contact him, but of course he never answered. As much my fault for not going through more secure channels. Lesson learned.
Man, that sucks! Sorry about that.

I remember when I worked in a (little M&P) guitar store years ago, there was a rival store a few storefronts down that the staffs were friendly with each other. One day, the other staff came in to open and the store was completely stripped empty. The owner skipped town in the middle of the night and took everything, even customer guitars in for repair work! I guess he was in some bad debt trouble.
She/Her