Talkin' Reverrrrrb...

Everyone needs a stompbox.
E Baxter Put
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Talkin' Reverrrrrb...

Post by E Baxter Put » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:58 am

Regarding the 63 tube reverb reissue…. I’ve had one for many years. I thought it was good and used it occasionally for deep reverb sounds. I had to take it in for an intermittent power light issue and my tech did a couple tweaks and put in some different old tubes. It returned a completely different unit. It sounds so good at any setting and alters the guitar sound for the better. It’s hard for me to not use it these days. I don’t know what he did, but I think the tubes make a massive difference.

I like the danelectro spring king as well for clangy bright short verb and slap delay.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:03 am

Played a modded '63 unit for years. Had the tone cap changed and ran on a NOS 6K6.
Loved it, sold it after the surf band I played in stopped.

I once sold the first version of EH Holy grail which I bought brand new in 2001, when they still came in a wooden box. (the one on page 1 of this thread)
It wasa pretty cool reverb. A while ago I got it back. Seams the guy I sold it to sold all his gear years ago and forgot about the grail.
So he asked if I wanted it back, free of charge. Nice

A weird one, but used it a ton at home. The Zoom G-1 multi Fx pedal. I really like the reverb(s) this thing has.
Records nicely as well. Not drippy per sé, but still nice reverb sounds and once you know how to dial it in, it's works nice with echo and other effects.
Not something I'd use live.

Another really weird one, a solid state stand alone reverb unit that was made for the Farfisa portable organ. I once bought this unit at a flea market (which is actually a pre-amp and reverb) and modded it for guitar. Superb sounding. I was drippy and quirky but not in a Fender way. It was a metal box that looked a bit like it was made to feed bullets to a German machine gun.
I had just the right lo-fi 60's surf sound and worked wonders with my Jaguar and BF Tremolux I had at the time. I got complemented on my sound a lot.
Sold to a friend who had the correct organ for it, but not the FAR unit to complement it.

Last summer I lusted for drippy spring reverb and I found a used Surfybear. I got to say it lives up to it's reputation.
I have the smaller one (less real estate) but it comes with a 3 spring reverb pan.
Sounds a lot like the Ri '63 unit to my ears, but it's more reliable. Love the drip on this thing. And the fact it's bypassed and has two switchable mix knobs and a volume knob, making it pretty versataile and works very, very good with my other stomp boxes. (even the cheap ones)

I recently bought a cheap old Dutch London City head (4xEL34/Marshall Plexi/Superlead clone from the early 70's) and had it overhauled by a real good tech in Antwerp and together with the Surfy bear and my 2x12" Jensen C-12 K cab, it sounds very Twin-ish...

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:37 pm

E Baxter Put wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:58 am
Regarding the 63 tube reverb reissue…. I’ve had one for many years. I thought it was good and used it occasionally for deep reverb sounds. I had to take it in for an intermittent power light issue and my tech did a couple tweaks and put in some different old tubes. It returned a completely different unit. It sounds so good at any setting and alters the guitar sound for the better. It’s hard for me to not use it these days. I don’t know what he did, but I think the tubes make a massive difference.
They do.

Most importantly, the originals used a 6K6 output, and the reissue used a 6V6. The substitution was for only one reason: there were no new production 6K6s being made when the reissue was introduced in the 1990s (still aren't in fact).

However, it's a direct drop-in, and NOS 6K6 singles are abundant and cheap, so there's really no reason not to make this unit run as it was designed. The tube is cathode-biased, and therefore can just plug right in without any adjustment.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:59 am

Help please!

I’ve long pined after some extra-extra pedals like Mr Black reverb (Eterna & Supermoon to be exact), but for the sake of probably only using them for 30 seconds in 1 song, I’ve held off pulling the trigger.

I’m using a Boss MS-3. Tried to create a verb with light tremolo but it didn’t sound great so stopped short of any more fiddling. Also, I use the boss like a pedalboard with 4 channels rather than patches for specific sounds so requires counter-intuitive thinking which my head probably can’t deal with in a live situation.

Come to decision that I don’t need 3 drive pedals in the loop as well as the amp drive. So got room for a pedal or two that have fun sounds on tap.

Any cheaper options for that type of shimmer or modulated ‘verbs?
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:40 am

sal paradise wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:59 am
Help please!

I’ve long pined after some extra-extra pedals like Mr Black reverb (Eterna & Supermoon to be exact), but for the sake of probably only using them for 30 seconds in 1 song, I’ve held off pulling the trigger.

I’m using a Boss MS-3. Tried to create a verb with light tremolo but it didn’t sound great so stopped short of any more fiddling. Also, I use the boss like a pedalboard with 4 channels rather than patches for specific sounds so requires counter-intuitive thinking which my head probably can’t deal with in a live situation.

Come to decision that I don’t need 3 drive pedals in the loop as well as the amp drive. So got room for a pedal or two that have fun sounds on tap.

I use a RV-6 for this. The shimmer requires rolling the tone control back quite a bit.

Not that cheap I guess, but not Strymon money.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:47 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:40 am
sal paradise wrote:
Help please!

I use a RV-6 for this. The shimmer requires rolling the tone control back quite a bit.

Not that cheap I guess, but not Strymon money.
A quick search of this has led me to the Joyo Atmosphere. Loads of functions, seems to sound pretty good & cheap. Thanks!

That said, maybe I should just actually spend some time with the MS-3 to build a bank of reverbs on my board: R+tremolo, R+chorus, R+delay, R+chorus+pitch shift.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

JagChat
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JagChat » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:28 am

Wow…..wow…..wow….wow….wow…wow…wow…wo…w..

You guys really love Reverb!
I recently bought a ‘65 6G15 as my old amps pre- date reverb. It’s always ‘On’ now as I really like the extra sound it gives to fill the room.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:23 pm

Timely thread for me as I just bought a new reverb pedal the other day!

I've never been a huge reverb user. I actually played dry for a lot of years (Tweed amp, no reverb pedal). I like amp spring reverb but I'm just now discovering some of the more interesting reverb sounds.

Boss FRV-1: I had this one for a few years. I liked it fine. It was a reverb that I set and just left it alone. Once I realized prices on them went nuts for some reason, I sold it.

Fender Tre-Verb: This was what I replaced the FRV-1 with. I figured I could get the same basic sounds out of it as the FRV-1 and on top of that I could ditch my trem pedal too. I did own a 1960 Super and the harmonic trem on the pedal just isn't quite the same. NOTHING sounds like the actual tube driven harmonic trem.

Fender Vibro-King: Yep, had the King and its built in 63 Reverb. Meh. It didn't sound bad, but this entire amp became a real albatross. It was unreliable and a total let down. I figured this was the Cadillac of Fender amps. Meanwhile the transformers are all Chinese made and the caps and resistors are the same cheap grade that go into their Hot Rod amps. Also it's HEAVY. Like Twin Reverb heavy. It was a pain (literally) to move around and I had a very difficult time selling it. NO ONE wants the big, heavy tube combos anymore.

Strymon Bluesky: Just bought this one used the other day! So far I love it! I've still got the Tre-Verb on my board and I plan to keep it there. I will use the Strymon for the more ethereal sounds. I am LOVING the sound of setting up an oscillating plate verb with the modulation turned on. Running it stereo out into two amps is an experience.

And of course I have amp reverb in my PRRI. And I've got a 6G16 63 Vibroverb that I built from a Mojotone kit. That is THE best spring reverb I've ever heard in an amp. It's got a darker reverb tone than the black panel amps and you can crank it up without it getting uselessly washy.

mikeymike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mikeymike » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:39 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Help please!

I relate to this. I had an Afterneath that was cool, but not regularly usable. I try to keep my board small, so I resist having a wild reverb and a “usable reverb.”

Plumerai
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plumerai » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:28 pm

Just received a prebuilt Mod the Wave reverb unit. I'm really liking it. My standalone spring reverb experience was an old Premier & the Vanamp Reverbmate. I never cared for the Reverbmate. I didn't care for the Premier either until the day I sold it. Somehow the guitar/amp combo I used to demo for a buyer just clicked. I regretted it afterwards.

I was really interested in the Anasound pedal/tank combo until I came across this Mod unit.

GGJaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GGJaguar » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:03 am

I mainly use on-board reverb if my amp has it, otherwise a Fender Rev Unit does the trick. I'm really thinking hard about getting a Strymon Flint, too. Although it's not a pedal, I use an old Alesis Nanoverb. It even does a useable rotary speaker emulation. Of course, it's not really practical for gigging, but I don't gig any more.
See my offset guitars at www.ggjaguar.com

Caddy65
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Caddy65 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:30 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:58 am

My next surfiest spring reverb pedal is without a doubt the classic Boss '63 Fender Reverb FRV-1 pedal. These can be found used on Reverb and eBay from $223 to $399 (prices subject to fluctuate). It's the closest effects pedal to approximate the Fender Reverb Unit to my ears.

Wow! That makes me very glad I got my FRV-1 when they were being discontinued and marked down, Got mine back then for $59. Turns out timing is everything.

tchshwaah
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tchshwaah » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:18 pm

I just received the brand new Oopegg ORV-1 Retro Reverb and it's fantastic. I've tried a ton of verbs: RV-6, FRV-1, Holy Grail Nano, Flint, Slo, Hermida, and probably more. This one is my fav, followed closely by the RV-6. It's a mix of spring and plate reverb with a single knob to control the reverb level. There are internal controls for dwell/decay and kill dry. Pricey at $250 but I highly recommend it for anyone in the market for a new reverb pedal that sounds excellent and is easy to dial in.
Last edited by tchshwaah on Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:43 pm

All I have at the moment is an FRV-1 on my home board, the short and slappy tank in my RE-201 and the on-board on the BF Vibrolux.

Honestly, the FRV does an amazing job of replicating the real Fender tanks. I think I paid £60 for it and I love it.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

DarnWeight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DarnWeight » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:31 pm

If you dig around enough you can find V1 Neunaber pedals (the standard 3-knobbers) for a reasonable price nowadays, as they don't come with all the extras of the latest versions. You can load 'em up with any of the Neunaber algos, they just don't do the tap/hold stuff that some of them can do. I've had a V1 Slate for ages, and it's usually loaded up with the Stereo Wet or Plate...although I have used switched things up and used it as a chorus in the past too. The Wet feels like home to me.

For stereo on the cheap, the Biyang Tri Reverb is solid. The gained up mode is a bit rough (it has its uses), but the core reverb sounds are good in a generic-but-trashy sort of way.