O h man, I really like this.. (a Reeves)

Make it loud here.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

O h man, I really like this.. (a Reeves)

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:30 pm

It is only 6 watts and runs class A from a single EL84. It's all point to point wired using a turret board also. It is $639 factory direct. You can get it in red, black or orange too  :)  They mention JTM and Plexi tones in the description, but in an interview with the builder, he said it still has the "classic Hiwatt tone". I seriously want to get one of these sometime. The link to the site is below. They're made in Ohio too  :) (I am originally from Ohio)

http://reevesamps.com/amp_custom_6.htm

Justin
Last edited by i love sharin foo on Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This isn’t some kind of metaphor
Goddamn this is real

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: O h man, I really like this.. (a Reeves)

Post by StevenO » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:41 pm

Those look very tasty.
I'd want one in blue, for some reason(but it makes sense considering I always want what doesn't exist).

Didn't you used to own a sound city head? If so, was it any good?
(very sorry about the off-topic-ness, so feel free to pm me)

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:58 am

StevenO wrote: Didn't you used to own a sound city head? If so, was it any good?
Yeah, I did have a Sound City head. It was a 50R, which is just a 50+, but with reverb. There is always a lot of hype saying that those SCs get the Hiwatt tone and essentially are Hiwatts, but dirt cheap. That is a load of crap. The earliest 100 watt SCs were closer to Hiwatts, but by the time they got around to the 50+s and 120s, there were no similarities at all. They do play loud and clean though, a little similarly to a Hiwatt I think, but they are pretty much impossible to break up. The active preamp is kind of weird to adjust also. Overall, I think they're really good amps, just not Hiwatt alternatives.

Justin
Goddamn this is real

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:22 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
StevenO wrote: Didn't you used to own a sound city head? If so, was it any good?
Yeah, I did have a Sound City head. It was a 50R, which is just a 50+, but with reverb. There is always a lot of hype saying that those SCs get the Hiwatt tone and essentially are Hiwatts, but dirt cheap. That is a load of crap. The earliest 100 watt SCs were closer to Hiwatts, but by the time they got around to the 50+s and 120s, there were no similarities at all. They do play loud and clean though, a little similarly to a Hiwatt I think, but they are pretty much impossible to break up. The active preamp is kind of weird to adjust also. Overall, I think they're really good amps, just not Hiwatt alternatives.

Justin
Hmm, I see.
Well I was just wondering because there is a soundcity 50R at a music store that I go to and it was being sold for $750cdn or so. Not really looking for the hiwatt sound, I just thought it looked interesting. Are the clean sounds any good? Fender-like?

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:37 am

Oh yeah, they're real good amps. The cleans were kind of fat and not too bright. It did remind me of my Bandmaster a little, but the SC was stiffer and not quite as dynamic.

Justin
Goddamn this is real

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:18 pm

I am in the process of purchasing a  "Custom 6 head (240v) in red"  .....  when it arrives I'll let you know what I think about it
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:44 pm

sookwinder wrote: I am in the process of purchasing a  "Custom 6 head (240v) in red"  .....  when it arrives I'll let you know what I think about it
Awesome!!

Definitely let me know! I like the red covering a lot, too  :?  After reading the info about it, it made it sound like red, black and orange were all standard colors, but then it said "custom colors" and mentioned those three. So, was the red actually a standard color and included in the base price? I really want to get the ehad and then the 2x12 cab to go with it. It is kind of absurd though that there is only a $75 USD price difference between an unloaded 2x12 and 4x12 cab. I don't NEED another 4x12, but for that small of a difference, I would have a hard time going for the 2x12. I know, I'm completely nuts....  ::)

Justin
Goddamn this is real

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:03 pm

the price, the standard price, was for the RED colour. I suspect the red, orange, black are std.  any other colours are custom

What I liked about this amp is that it has 4ohm, 8ohm, 16ohm outputs.  I plan to run it into my 2 x 10" blue pups.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:25 am

Just paid for the "Custom 6 head (240v) in red" .  It seems there are none "in stock" so they will be making it to order, should take about 2 weeks and then it can be shipped....

thinks ahead...  can't wait to here the 66 jaguar through this amp.... :)

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:28 am

I know prices are high in Australia but what's the shipping damage (and customs) going to be for this beast?
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:32 am

That's a really attractive price.  It would be hard to build anything similar for much less.  Especially once you factor in the time it takes just to acquire everything.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:29 pm

Michael,  I am buying it directly from REEVES web site in the USA, so the price is US$629  plus US$120 for postage.

I have actually asked the guy whether he can "lower the stated value , including postage" on the import form down to US$700  so I won't pay any additional import duty on it...  hopefully he'll do that  :)

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:34 pm

$120 to Australia? That seems more than fair. If they were sending it from the UK it would be more like £200 - I've never experienced higher shipping prices than in the UK.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:54 pm

sookwinder wrote: Just paid for the "Custom 6 head (240v) in red" .  It seems there are none "in stock" so they will be making it to order, should take about 2 weeks and then it can be shipped....

thinks ahead...  can't wait to here the 66 jaguar through this amp.... :)
Has it been shipped out yet? I can't wait to hear what you think of it as I still really, really want one.

Justin
Goddamn this is real

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:29 pm

what could one do with six Reeves watts?