I just revalved my Mesa...

Make it loud here.
marco_80
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I just revalved my Mesa...

Post by marco_80 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 pm

ok, I'm not a technician and I need my amp working perfectly before recording our next demo during Chirstmas holydays.

I needed to revalve it - it's a Rocket 44, with 4 EL84 and 4 12AX7 - for the first time in almost 10 years!!! I brought it to a technician and he replaced all the 8 valves. He put EL84 from Ruby and 12AX7 from Electro Harmonix. He told me my amp is in very good condition and it doesn't seem to be 10 years old. I naturally tried it while on the shop, and I thought everything was ok. He told me valves need a certain amount of hours (around 100 he said) to reach their best performances.
So I went back home and turned my amp on to let new valves running in, and while using distortion channel I noticed something strange: sometimes I hear a sensible gain augment, and then it lowers again. That's very strange and it didn't happen with old valves when I understood it was time for them to be replaced.
Is that normal? Do I just need to keep using my amp more, or are new valves failed? The Tech won't be here again until Saturday...

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I just revalved my Mesa...

Post by 1946dodge » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:43 pm

Either one of the valves is not too good or a capacitor is leaking and you B+ voltage is down. Take it back and ask him to check it.
On my twin reverb, the damn switch used to get shitty and do that too.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.