FENDER BLUES DELUXE REISSUE

Make it loud here.
ynglve
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

FENDER BLUES DELUXE REISSUE

Post by ynglve » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi Everyone.
Has anyone modified a FENDER BLUES DELUXE REISSUE? I'm looking for a cleaner, richer tone than the stock amp has?. Any suggestions

Moz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: FENDER BLUES DELUXE REISSUE

Post by Moz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:14 am

You may find more joy going for a reissue 65 delux reverb or twin. The last few blues deluxes I have played have sounded dead in comparrison. I'm not sure what you could do to liven them up by modding.

I got a 65 delux a few years back and can't fault it.

musicmatty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by musicmatty » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:10 am

Great amp in my opinion with a few simple modifications and here is what I have done..I swapped out the stock speaker for a Jensen C12-K 100 watt speaker... this is the same speaker that is used in the George Benson signature Fender Deluxe. Also, I changed out two of the three preamp tubes for lower gain values instead of all being 12ax7 tubes. 12ay7 in the V1 slot..this is the tube furthest away to the right of the big 6l6 tubes. 12at7 preamp tube closest to the big 6L6 tubes..this is known as the phase inverter. These few changes will yield a very classic sounding Fender amp. the stock speaker is way down on power and is virtually non responsive to the EQ settings. Changing out 2 of the 3 preamp tubes for lower gain values will take the jitters out of the amp as the volume comes up and allow the volume to come up in respectable increments and let the power of the phase inverter yield a smoother signal transferring over to the big 6l6 tubes. $100. for the speaker & approx $40. For 2 preamp tubes. I have made these changes to my Blues tweed deluxe reissue and hot rod Deville 212 and both are fantastic sounding. I hope this helps answer your question. The sum of any amp to start with, is the speakers that are used in it. Fender knows that most people will change out the speakers in most amps, as they do with guitar strings/pickups..etc..players have their own preference for these things. Speaker changes along with a few preamp tube changes, is a given with most amps as is with guitars with regards to strings and pickups as I have stated...not a big deal

ynglve
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ynglve » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:47 pm

[quote="musicmatty"]Great amp in my opinion with a few simple modifications and here is what I have done..I swapped out the stock speaker for a Jensen C12-K 100 watt speaker... this is the same speaker that is used in the George Benson signature Fender Deluxe. Also, I changed out two of the three preamp tubes for lower gain values instead of all being 12ax7 tubes. 12ay7 in the V1 slot..this is the tube furthest away to the right of the big 6l6 tubes. 12at7 preamp tube closest to the big 6L6 tubes..this is known as the phase inverter.

awesome will give this a go
;D

musicmatty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by musicmatty » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:38 pm

ynglve wrote:
musicmatty wrote:Great amp in my opinion with a few simple modifications and here is what I have done..I swapped out the stock speaker for a Jensen C12-K 100 watt speaker... this is the same speaker that is used in the George Benson signature Fender Deluxe. Also, I changed out two of the three preamp tubes for lower gain values instead of all being 12ax7 tubes. 12ay7 in the V1 slot..this is the tube furthest away to the right of the big 6l6 tubes. 12at7 preamp tube closest to the big 6L6 tubes..this is known as the phase inverter.

If you are serious about giving this a go then please give us an update and let us know how it worked out for you.

MJG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MJG » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:19 am

musicmatty wrote:
ynglve wrote:
musicmatty wrote:Great amp in my opinion with a few simple modifications and here is what I have done..I swapped out the stock speaker for a Jensen C12-K 100 watt speaker... this is the same speaker that is used in the George Benson signature Fender Deluxe. Also, I changed out two of the three preamp tubes for lower gain values instead of all being 12ax7 tubes. 12ay7 in the V1 slot..this is the tube furthest away to the right of the big 6l6 tubes. 12at7 preamp tube closest to the big 6L6 tubes..this is known as the phase inverter.

If you are serious about giving this a go then please give us an update and let us know how it worked out for you.
Having been previously unaware of this thread, I've basically just performed this^ mod on my Mexican BD RI - EHX 12ay7 in V1 & V2, EHX 12at7 in V3, and a Jensen C12-K 100 watt speaker. It is the single best thing I've ever done to an amp. I've played around with different pre amp valve combinations before hand, even changing the power amp valves over to 6v6 & re-biasing. I'd got to the stage where I was considering the various other mods some people swear by (changing pots etc) however this combination of valves (inc 6L6s) and the speaker is simply amazing. The low end is so clearly defined now & the EQ is now infinitely more responsive than it was previously, & the volume is more controllable. It sounds like I always thought the amp should/could sound, but could never quite hit on it. Best 140€ I could have spent. Wish I found this thread months back!!
"The music is like life, only better." - Derek Bailey

musicmatty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by musicmatty » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:46 pm

I truly feel these few changes made a world of difference with this amp. For my single coil guitars being the Telecaster and Jazzmaster, I run the amp with the bright switch off ..the presence at 5 ..the middle at 3.. the Bass at 6 and the treble at 5 and boy does this render a fat nice warm sound with a touch of sparkle. .The Telecasters are using 500k volume pots..so this definitely adds a bit of sparkle and spank to my sound. This amp pairs very well with my zoom multi effects pedal which I use for the reverb ..delay.. tremolo and gain for whichever sound I'm going for.

Fender made the right move with outfitting the Hot Rod amps with the Celestion speakers.. it's about time they upgrade the stock speaker in the Blues Deluxe.

I should note that I am now celebrating 3 years with the Blues deluxe reissue and it has been a workhorse with zero issues.

mastermorya
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mastermorya » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:04 am

musicmatty wrote:
Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:10 am
Great amp in my opinion with a few simple modifications and here is what I have done..I swapped out the stock speaker for a Jensen C12-K 100 watt speaker... this is the same speaker that is used in the George Benson signature Fender Deluxe. Also, I changed out two of the three preamp tubes for lower gain values instead of all being 12ax7 tubes. 12ay7 in the V1 slot..this is the tube furthest away to the right of the big 6l6 tubes. 12at7 preamp tube closest to the big 6L6 tubes..this is known as the phase inverter. These few changes will yield a very classic sounding Fender amp. the stock speaker is way down on power and is virtually non responsive to the EQ settings. Changing out 2 of the 3 preamp tubes for lower gain values will take the jitters out of the amp as the volume comes up and allow the volume to come up in respectable increments and let the power of the phase inverter yield a smoother signal transferring over to the big 6l6 tubes. $100. for the speaker & approx $40. For 2 preamp tubes. I have made these changes to my Blues tweed deluxe reissue and hot rod Deville 212 and both are fantastic sounding. I hope this helps answer your question. The sum of any amp to start with, is the speakers that are used in it. Fender knows that most people will change out the speakers in most amps, as they do with guitar strings/pickups..etc..players have their own preference for these things. Speaker changes along with a few preamp tube changes, is a given with most amps as is with guitars with regards to strings and pickups as I have stated...not a big deal
I recently got a Blues Deluxe, the "Black Western" edition which has black tolex and Celestion G12H65 speaker. Swapped out those two preamp tubes as recommended, and it made a noticeable and fine difference. Gonna let this speaker break in for a while but I'm very happy with this relatively cheap and very easy modification.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:41 am

I did a great mod on a Hot Rod Deville.
Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:04 am

Instagram: thetonyballs

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:53 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:41 am
Just what the doctor ordered :-* :D
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:52 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:41 am

So what is it now?? 5E3 Neil Young style? I've always thought about doing something like this.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:01 pm

I think that's one of Tonys own manifestations of a generic Blackface amp into a Hot Rod Deluxe (not Deville).

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:10 pm

JSett wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:01 pm
I think that's one of Tonys own manifestations of a generic Blackface amp into a Hot Rod Deluxe (not Deville).
Yep, but cathode biased not fixed.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:17 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:10 pm
JSett wrote:
So the tone control of a BF but the sag and squish of a tweed Bassman?

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:23 pm

JSett wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:17 pm
Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:10 pm
JSett wrote:
So the tone control of a BF but the sag and squish of a tweed Bassman?
ISH....

A tweed Bassman, at least the only ones that people talk about, is Fixed bias. Cathode bias provides a little more sag/squish. Also this is solid state rectified which is a bit stiffer than the tube rectification of a tweed Bassman. So more sag/squish in one area, less in the other.