Top Hat

Make it loud here.
BenHagerty

Top Hat

Post by BenHagerty » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:45 pm

Anyone try one? I was looking on Boston Guitar Work's website and they look very neat. I might have to go try one out this weekend

Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: Top Hat

Post by Jay » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:19 pm

My main amp has been a top hat since early '95.  It's a T35-TB head (later became known as the King Royale)—essentially an AC30 knockoff with an added mid control, pull defeat master volume, and no trem.  It's just a fantastic sounding amp, very similar but much better sounding then my Korg AC30 through the same set of speakers.  If you can find an older one like it you'd be very pleased however its best to be careful because at some point before changing away from the script logo, he went to a solid state rectifier and circuit board construction and the amp suffered.  I'm think he's back to doing it the old way but I still think some of the 90's stuff can be had for a better price then the new ones.

http://www.tophatamps.com/king_royale.htm

The latest has a GZ34 rectifier but it doesn't say if it's a point ot point.  It's $2600 for a head though... I paid $1100 for mine 13 years ago.
Last edited by Jay on Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:01 pm

Don't buy anything from BGW!  I used to work for Heath.  There's no telling what has happened with any of his gear...  unless it's brand new.

Top Hat amps are great though.  My friend Anthony uses one.  He was the American replacement in The Libertines and is now in The Dirty Pretty Things.  He's a star in the UK... hell, Kate Moss threw herself at him in a bathroom... 

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:25 pm

Yeah, I ordered an Orange Micro-Crush and it came in pieces, luckily it is a town over and I just got a new one