I scored an HH VS Musician 100 watts Guitar Head

Make it loud here.
zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: I scored an HH VS Musician 100 watts Guitar Head

Post by zhivago » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:25 pm

I reckon it's all down to the speakers.

if the cab has decent speakers then it's fine by me....

to be quite honest, I draw the line at really knit-picking with cabs, cables etc...if something sounds good, it just does....I looked into speakers etc last year, and I gave up before that can of worms was truly open!  :o

If I were you, I'd just get a 70s Marshall cab...that should have decent speakers in it.
Resident Spartan.

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:40 pm

The thing is 70s Marshall cabs are quite rare here and the guys selling some know that so they're expensive...
And It's even more rare to come accross a 2x12 cab (a 4x12 will really be too complicated to move around... ).

Aah I wish I had bidded on the vintage vox cab I saw on eBay before buying the HH !  ::)
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:03 am

I actually think that wood matters a bit. Most 1970s cabs (especially ones made in the UK) just seem to be made more solidly than modern cabs. And if you look on eBay you can find lots of options (WEM, Carlsbro, HH, Laney, Burman etc) from that era going for next to nothing. I recently scored a Carlsbro 2x12 from 1972 for £5 (!!) and a Burman 2x12 from the mid-70s for £19 (!!). Shipping a cab up to 30 kg with Parcel2Go.com costs around £30 each from the UK to Prague in 3-4 days. Marshall stuff attracts higher prices just because of the name, but there were lots of lesser-known Marshall contemporaries whose stuff is in the same category (or even better).

You could also look for old German stuff - lots of Dynacord & Echolette cabs on eBay.de, with shipping prices to France even cheaper than from the UK (then again, everything is cheaper than in the UK!).
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:09 am

Thanks for these infos.. 5£ is my exact budget !  :D
I'll watch for those brands.
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:24 am

k o y l wrote: Thanks for these infos.. 5£ is my exact budget !  :D
I'll watch for those brands.
Here's my £5 cab:  ;D

It's pretty compact and manageable. The Burman that I got is a bigger chunk of mass to carry around (zhivago can confirm this - he received it and stored it for me!)

I also picked up a Gallien Krueger 2x12" a few months back in Berlin for €100 - the auction ended with no bidders (Berlin seller) and I was planning a trip there. I wrote him, he agreed to sell it, and I collected it on the way. So you certainly don't have to pay a lot for a good cab if you look carefully enough.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:30 am

mjet260 wrote: Here's my £5 cab:  ;D
Cool. As you may remember from another thread, I used to have a Carlsbro TR-100 head. The cosmetics of that thing matched your cab exactly... I wonder it they were intended to go together.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:37 am

mjet260 wrote:
It's pretty compact and manageable. The Burman that I got is a bigger chunk of mass to carry around (zhivago can confirm this - he received it and stored it for me!)
hehe...it was a monster!! ;D
Resident Spartan.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:38 am

Orang Goreng wrote:
mjet260 wrote: Here's my £5 cab:  ;D
Cool. As you may remember from another thread, I used to have a Carlsbro TR-100 head. The cosmetics of that thing matched your cab exactly... I wonder it they were intended to go together.
Probably so. My cab was originally meant to be used with a PA head (the 15ohm speakers are wired in series, resulting in 30ohms). I'll just rewire it parallel (or have it wired, I should say, since I'm a technical accident waiting to happen) to drop it to 7.5ohms.

I have a 100 TC head from around 1970 - Carlsbro made really good stuff and it's available for a fraction of bigger-name stuff like Marshall etc.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:47 am

Yeah, that looks a lot like my TR-100 as well; only the control panel is different.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am

I love Carlsbro stuff too - I have a '70s Cobra Lead which was given to me for free, and it has some cool features - a weird fuzz circuit, and a parametric midrange control which is really useful. My first amp was a little GLX30 which I still love. They're a very underrated company.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:01 pm

I got something to say that's a little bit embarassing for me...  :-\ ...
I try my new DBA Interstellar OD with the same cable I used when I tried to plug the HH from the line out to my computer soundcard... and... my guitar made no sound at all...  :-[ ... Yep, what I'm painfully trying to say is the cable is dead and I was not clever enough to try the HH with another cab..  :-X ... On a positive side, it's a confirmation I was right to not become a sound engineer !  ;D

So I try with a good cable and the HH does work well... but the sound was not very.. mmm.. nice.
It was OK when use alone in clean setting but really horrid when I tried it with any distortion device I have .  :k

I guess I really have to try it with a cab !

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:48 am

hehehe koyl!!!

Glad to hear it's working. Have you thought about using a speaker cabinet emulator or something between the amp and the laptop? It might make the thing sound a bit nicer. I've got a Hughes and Kettner Redbox hanging around the house that I've been meaning to use for ages, never found the time to try it out.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:25 am

Yes I should buy one of these I guess. It will be usefull with any amp if I want to plug directly in the computer..