vibrato acting odd (reverb acting weird too)

Make it loud here.
jagermeister
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

vibrato acting odd (reverb acting weird too)

Post by jagermeister » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:24 pm

...ok. So I just managed to solder dummy RCA plugs that I could supposedly plug into the footpedal jacks of my Libra to get vibrato and reverb working without bankrupting myself for a footswitch.

Well... for some reason, the reverb works fine WITHOUT the dummy plug (and sounds ungodly, mushy, squishy, springy... the most beautiful reverb ever) while the vibrato doesn't work at all... whether the plug is in or out. (And I don't get tremolo either )

Might this latter problem have something to with me using only 2 speakers in a cab? though when I think about it, that doesn't make sense... though what does? Any ideas?

And SHOULDN'T the reverb not work unless the dummy plug's in?

thanks

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: vibrato acting odd (reverb acting weird too)

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:32 pm

I wouldn't worry about the reverb. Depending on the footswitch, some amp reverbs are on with an open connection, some if it's closed. This way, you don't need your RCA plug .. if you don't want reverb, just turn it to zero.

Not sure what you mean by saying the vibrato and tremolo don't work. Fender amps AFAIK only have tremolo (varying volume), even though they call it vibrato (which is varying pitch). Some amps do have a true vibrato, like the old Magnatones.

The problem with the tremolo could be anything .. checking that the tubes are all in place and look OK might be a start. I can't imagine the speakers would affect it, although they might damage the amp in other ways by presenting it with an impedance it doesn't like.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

jagermeister
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jagermeister » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:15 pm

alright... makes sense on the reverb end.

anyway, I was joking about the vib/trem thing. Called for a smiley, or a better sense of humor.

This amp has no tubes in fact  8) it's a solid state 4x12 100 watt fender made for about 5 minutes in 1970. Any other way to go about fixing the vibrato on something solid state? (err... tremolo) I've got it in the 4 ohm stereo spot on a mesa 4x12 cab, because the amp is designed for 4 ohms. This is temporary, til I get 4 16 ohm speakers.
Last edited by jagermeister on Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:25 am

jagermeister wrote: anyway, I was joking about the vib/trem thing.
Sorry, I should've picked that up!

:)
jagermeister wrote: it's a solid state
Of course it is, I should have remembered that from your other thread. I used to use a solid state Fender copy many years ago and it still lives in my parents' attic .. unfortunately I have no idea how to maintain them, sorry.

:(
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.