Make it loud here.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: what was your game changer?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:16 pm

budda12ax7 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:16 pm
Budda phatman tube overdrive pedal....into my Mesa mark 3 head....
Is that where your username originated?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

BMWRider
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BMWRider » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:22 pm

The amp that really shaped my search for tone was the purchase of a brownface Fender Super with the 2x10" setup. Before that point, the amps I owned didn't impress me with their tremolo output, and the amps I could find with clean output were far too loud! If it wasn't for the amp's habit of eating caps on a regular basis, I would still own it. My Strymon Flint gets me close to the tone of that Super, but I am surprised that no manufacturer has tried to clone that amp. I would definitely put it on my 'Buy' list.

The second amp on this list would be the original Carr Mercury I owned for several years. It would take pedals beautifully, and the clean tone I heard with that single EL34 was fantastic. The only reason I sold it was because it was far too nice to gig, and I couldn't justify having an extra guitar amp kicking around the house.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:29 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:16 pm
budda12ax7 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:16 pm
Budda phatman tube overdrive pedal....into my Mesa mark 3 head....
Is that where your username originated?
Yes

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:11 pm

BMWRider wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:22 pm
The amp that really shaped my search for tone was the purchase of a brownface Fender Super with the 2x10" setup. Before that point, the amps I owned didn't impress me with their tremolo output, and the amps I could find with clean output were far too loud! If it wasn't for the amp's habit of eating caps on a regular basis, I would still own it. My Strymon Flint gets me close to the tone of that Super, but I am surprised that no manufacturer has tried to clone that amp. I would definitely put it on my 'Buy' list.
Your description is everything I love about the Silvertone 1484. 28 screaming, ambitious watts with the swampiest trem I've ever heard in an amp. It's just the perfect volume and that tremolo is so addicting. I didn't realize til after I sold it how rare it was to have any trem sound like that and wasted so much money on pedals and even other amps until I just ended up buying another 1484.

Also, it looks like Marsh offers a Brownface 2x10 Super here
She/Her

BMWRider
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BMWRider » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:13 pm

Your description is everything I love about the Silvertone 1484. 28 screaming, ambitious watts with the swampiest trem I've ever heard in an amp. It's just the perfect volume and that tremolo is so addicting. I didn't realize til after I sold it how rare it was to have any trem sound like that and wasted so much money on pedals and even other amps until I just ended up buying another 1484.

[/quote]

Thank you for letting me know about the Marsh; I will be looking into them once I can justify that second amp. The Silvertone 1484 also sounds interesting, but it's been a while since I have seen any Silvertone amps (amp-in-case units excepted). I may have to stroll through YouTube to find a demo...

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:07 am

BMWRider wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:13 pm

Thank you for letting me know about the Marsh; I will be looking into them once I can justify that second amp. The Silvertone 1484 also sounds interesting, but it's been a while since I have seen any Silvertone amps (amp-in-case units excepted). I may have to stroll through YouTube to find a demo...
[/quote]

For clarity sake, what Marsh is offering is a 2x10 '63 Vibroverb (handwired, 6G16 circuit (approx. 35 watts) with onboard reverb), not the Super, which is without onboard reverb and 40 watts. I'm a big fan of both the Vibroverb and Super. The Marsh's HW Vibroverb clone is very enticing and has been on my radar for a few years.

I found a '62 Bandmaster head that was in an export Showman shell. Turns out, the Bandmaster chassis has the same measurements as a Fender Super chassis. I commissioned Will of Armadillo Ampworks to build me a 2x10 combo cab. The Bandmaster dropped in perfectly into my Armadillo Ampworks 2x10 combo cab.

The Bandmaster and Super have different Model/Circuit numbers but someone with far more knowledge than I can likely explain the differences, if any. The Super's Model/Circuit numbers are is 6G4 ('60-'62?) and 6G4A ('63?) and the Bandmaster is 6G7-A ('61-'63) and both have 40 watts. Sounds amazing! FWIW, there are a lot of Bandmasters on Reverb and Guitar Center's Used section - deals can be had. I also ended up getting a '63 Bandmaster head and now have it paired up with a 2x12 cab for the more traditional Bandmaster sound. Also sounds amazing.

Saved the original blonde shell and commissioned Will @ Armadillo Ampworks again to build me a brown tolex head & cab to match my '63 Fender Showman (because I'm completely bonkers).

A guy was selling a Super chassis a few weeks back on Reverb for a great price but was without some key components (transformers and tubes removed)...https://reverb.com/item/77871958-vintag ... _sold=true
Vintage Original 1963 Fender Brownface Super Amp Chassis Project

Only the parts shown in the pics are included. The tubes and transformers have been removed. 2 of the pots have also been replaced, and need to be wired up. Prior to all this, the amp was in working condition.

The electrolytic capacitors have been replaced, the new filter caps were placed inside the housing of the original caps. The chassis still retains its original 2 prong cord.

The chassis appears to be very original, with only a few small component changes besides the caps.

This would be a great start to your next restoration project or custom build!

This chassis will need additional parts and labor to be functional again. Sold as as.
I was sorely tempted but I waited too long and someone bought it. Should make for a fantastic restoration project. 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:53 am

I was watching that chassis too but it was pretty steep for what it was missing. I keep an open search for Fender amp chassis and see stuff like that pretty regularly, at least bf/sf chassis.
She/Her

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:09 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:53 am
I was watching that chassis too but it was pretty steep for what it was missing. I keep an open search for Fender amp chassis and see stuff like that pretty regularly, at least bf/sf chassis.
Yeah, I think the missing components held me off. I'm not experienced enough to source the correct components and install them (well, the tubes are no problem) and I'd end up taking it to BIg Crunch Amp Repair in Baltimore to put it together (and replace the original 2-prong cord with a 3-prong cord).
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:02 am

Honestly, I pretty much nailed it on my first/second try. My first amp was a late 70s Marshall JMP 2203, and to this day that is still my benchmark overdrive sound. I did however want a bit more versatility with the use of pedals, so I sold it and got an early 70s Hiwatt DR103.
In hindsight, there was nothing more I could ever have needed beyond those two amps, but being young and restless, I kept on changing amps until about 16 years ago when I got my Ceriatone DR103. I’ve modded that one to be able to do both the Hiwatt thing and a more Marshall-esque mid gain overdrive, and I’m super happy with it. I still feel like I have to get a 2203 style amp too at some point, but I’m in no rush.