Help ID my new Mystery Cab?

Make it loud here.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Help ID my new Mystery Cab?

Post by MrShake » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:44 am

Okay, so I posted this to, uh, another forum, so please pardon the liberal copy/paste job, but it's got all the relevant info, below. Y'all know this is my real home.

Long story short, a buddy I really admire gave me the cab I used to see him slay with, it was sweet and has a lot of sentimental value for me.

I asked him about it and he said he'd bought it at Daddy’s Junky in Boston in the early 2000s and he used it for bass and guitar and keys for a million years before he knew about correct ohms and the like.

I was able to get the jack plate off, and there's a Celestion Vintage 30, 8ohms in there. I have no idea if it's original, but I know my buddy bought it like this, maybe even with the faceplates. The speaker has a UK address on it, so I'm assuming it's a pre-2002, which lines up with his timeline.

I was hoping that the somewhat distinctive covering -- unlike any I've noticed and unlike any of my other amps -- and the jack plate and serial sticker might be able to help. The exterior is very HARD (not very vinyl-y soft), for lack of a better term, and the thing's built like a rock. Almost feels fossilized.

I'm always so impressed watching these Cab Detective threads on OSG. Any idea what this mojo-soaked rawk cab started out as?

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help ID my new Mystery Cab?

Post by MrShake » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:49 am

Exhibit B- my phone settings must need twiddling, so I tried to fiddle with the pic to better position the 2 ports, one under the "B", one near the "E".

And the way this thing is so tightly screwed together, I'd be surprised if much modding had been done beyond aesthetics.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:33 pm

it might be an early Sonic cabinet, before they started using the ugly gray carpet. Those were all over Boston. I had a really nice 1x15" bass cab when I lived there. If not a Sonic, it's just some other small defunct company who made Boogie inspired cabinets.
But it could also just be some odd PA cabinet and someone added the V30 later.

You'd find all sorts of weird cabinets there because of Berklee students who needed portable cabinets & amps.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:37 pm

Thanks, man, that's kinda where I'm thinking I'll resolve. But I was unfamiliar with Sonic, so I'm gonna dig deeper. Figure since I'm so poorly versed in the world of amp offerings, somebody might have, "Oh, that's clearly a _____", even though I know with the way this town works, odds are stacked against me.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:40 pm

you never know! It looks like a cool cabinet tho, I love oversized 1x12" cabs.

When I left Boston in 2009, i sold my favorite cabinet to a friend. It's an early '80s Fender 112-OB, an open-back large-ish 1x12.
I can't find one to save my life here in LA.