I think it's time I got a new amp... advice? (noob alert)

Make it loud here.
garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I think it's time I got a new amp... advice? (noob alert)

Post by garyptaszek » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:12 pm

So I've been using the same am since 2010, a Blackstar Series One 45 (and a 50 watt head version).
I've recently been having some latency issues with the channel switcher, there's a software reset (yeah, its one of those kinda amps).

I'm so used to my amp and its 4 channels (bright clean, warm clean, crunch, super crunch), I don't really have a clue what I want going forward.
I don't have any overdrive pedals (or any idea what overdrive pedals I like), but I was considering maybe a single channel amp and do my gain stages with pedals instead
I'm gonna try my best to resolve the latency issue, but if I can't I still have the head version to use. so maybe I should just buy a cab instead?

... help.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I think it's time I got a new amp... advice? (noob alert)

Post by JSett » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:53 pm

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:00 pm

Jokes aside, you can get away with a 2 channel amp and a boost.

Bright clean = bridge pickup, CH1
Warm Clean = neck pickup, CH1
Crunch = CH2 set slightly dirty
Super crunch = CH2 plus MXR Micro Amp

I know you, and your tone extremely well. My recommendation is a Fender Supersonic Twin (because I know you prefer a 2x12)
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:11 pm

Oh crap, I forgot the Series one had emulated speaker out & that ISF stuff. I guess it was early for that kinda software.

Damn great sounding amps though.

I’d be tempted to say you could get a great Marshall in a box from the Friedman BE-OD, keep it mid gain & then use a TS to boost it into higher gain territory. Or use something like the LovePedal JMP with a TS as boost would sound really nice, just not quite a much gain on tap.

I guess you could use the tubescreamer to get a broken clean too. But you’d probably need to tweak the tone between the gain stages. And maybe then you’d need something with more flexibility, like an OCD. Although I don’t know any non-fulltone alternatvies :k

*edit* forgot that you could use an amp for drive :fp: - Friedman Runt 20 & TS9. That’ll sort you out.

Or get the Marshall SC20 & use your volume control. Less fun.

Both quite expensive options though. The Marshal DSL20 isn’t a terrible sounding thing.

Or if you want all the channels- JCM2000 TSL50… although you could just get another Blackstar for cheaper…
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:45 pm

...maybe I should just buy another combo, or a 212 cab for the Series One 50 watt head I have.
I like the way it sounds, I think part of me wants to try something new, but I honestly am a creature of habit.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:53 pm

Just checked out the Friedman runt, sounds pretty "up my street", thanks for the heads up.

doctor_capleson
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by doctor_capleson » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:20 pm

Someone else recommended a Fender Supersonic. I cannot recommend those amps enough if you can find one. The clean section is very sonically similar to a Deluxe Reverb. The gain channel is *okay* but certainly usable. If nothing else, I'd take one as a discount DRRI.

I know the guts are different and it's not *exactly* a DRRI, but it's pretty damn close. And the Gain channel is certainly usable and some people really like it. I was surprised to learn that Division of Laura Lee's guitar players both use the Supersonic for their live setups. For me personally, that's a pretty huge endorsement.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:30 pm

garyptaszek wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:45 pm
...maybe I should just buy another combo, or a 212 cab for the Series One 50 watt head I have.
I like the way it sounds, I think part of me wants to try something new, but I honestly am a creature of habit.
I sold a closed back Laney Ironheart 2x12 the other day for not a lot of cash. Sorry. Cabs seem cheaper than ever right now post-lockdown. if you can find one used, the Harley Benton G212 with Celestine V30s would be my bet for best value. *edit* checked reverb & no decent deals on there.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:29 am

sal paradise wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:30 pm
garyptaszek wrote:
I sold a closed back Laney Ironheart 2x12 the other day for not a lot of cash. Sorry. Cabs seem cheaper than ever right now post-lockdown. if you can find one used, the Harley Benton G212 with Celestine V30s would be my bet for best value. *edit* checked reverb & no decent deals on there.
I've been messing about today with an Orange Micro Terror though the 212 (in my combo), actually sounds great for a tiny backup rig partnered with a MXR Micro Amp and Boss Super Overdrive.

I'm a carpenter and my buddy is a set builder with a workshop so I might make a 212 cab and nab the speakers out my combo until I get it fixed. I wanna make one with an angled baffle so the speakers point upwards.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:49 am

garyptaszek wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:29 am
sal paradise wrote:
garyptaszek wrote:
I've been messing about today with an Orange Micro Terror though the 212 (in my combo), actually sounds great for a tiny backup rig partnered with a MXR Micro Amp and Boss Super Overdrive.

I'm a carpenter and my buddy is a set builder with a workshop so I might make a 212 cab and nab the speakers out my combo until I get it fixed. I wanna make one with an angled baffle so the speakers point upwards.
Boom, sounds like the perfect solution.

Make sure you post about building the cab if you do it! Forever in awe of people’s skills that get posted on here 8)

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:18 am

sal paradise wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:49 am
garyptaszek wrote:
sal paradise wrote:

Boom, sounds like the perfect solution.

Make sure you post about building the cab if you do it! Forever in awe of people’s skills that get posted on here 8)
yeah I will try to document it, although it would probably be easier to just buy a 2nd hand cab it doesn't seem as fun.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:42 am

garyptaszek wrote:
sal paradise wrote:
garyptaszek wrote:

That’s a rad idea! Tip: check out the Jim Lil videoabout cabs before you start chopping wood.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:41 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:42 am
garyptaszek wrote:
sal paradise wrote:

That’s a rad idea! Tip: check out the Jim Lil videoabout cabs before you start chopping wood.
pretty interesting stuff. I was just gonna use birch ply and attempt to make the cab as close to my combo as possible. I could just yank the chassis from the combo I guess :shifty:

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:48 am

Or you could do a Ritual burning? Then sell it to Johnny as a ‘project amp’.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:02 am

sal paradise wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:48 am
Or you could do a Ritual burning? Then sell it to Johnny as a ‘project amp’.
this amp has been my safe space since 2010... how dare you.
I still intend to attempt to fix it, although backstair have yet to respond to me with any advice (even tho I'm still apparently one of their "artists".
I think I just want to try to move away from relying on a particular piece of gear to play a good show, and get a bit more comfortable with making stuff work. Also it will make those mid week gigs a little less stressful if I can easily carry my rig without lugging a great big combo.
I've started putting together a mini rig, a delay, couple of gain stages and a tuner.
A pedaltrain nano, an Orange micro terror, and a couple guitars is travelling as light as I think possible.