A Cry for Help: WTF Am I Looking For?

Make it loud here.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: A Cry for Help: WTF Am I Looking For?

Post by Embenny » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:19 pm

I believe you about the volume - single-ended class A amps can be crazy loud.

To be honest, I never once was happy with tube amps while I was living in an apartment. They don't need to be hearing-damagingly loud to sound good, but getting one to sound truly good at apartment levels is a tall order.

I got into modeling amps during that phase, and never outgrew them. One of those Fender "tone master" amps might actually be up your alley, as a clean base/pedal platform. The first amp that I truly enjoyed in an apartment was the Fender Mustang modeling combo - its Fender cleans were great (and only its Fender cleans), so I'd have a high level of confidence in the Tone Master series sounding even better.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Nico
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nico » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:10 pm

I have this Vox MV50 Clean and it sounds really good with cleans, dirtied up and with plays really nice with pedals... and they go for cheap used.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:14 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:19 pm
I believe you about the volume - single-ended class A amps can be crazy loud.

To be honest, I never once was happy with tube amps while I was living in an apartment. They don't need to be hearing-damagingly loud to sound good, but getting one to sound truly good at apartment levels is a tall order.

I got into modeling amps during that phase, and never outgrew them. One of those Fender "tone master" amps might actually be up your alley, as a clean base/pedal platform. The first amp that I truly enjoyed in an apartment was the Fender Mustang modeling combo - its Fender cleans were great (and only its Fender cleans), so I'd have a high level of confidence in the Tone Master series sounding even better.
Yeah, that Fender Princeton tone master gets down to .3 of a watt, so that could be useful.

I honestly can't wrap my mind around that amp at all.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:28 pm

I figured it was probably something to do with the Amp.

I read on another earlier about a guy with a similar problem about his Amp being to loud in his small Apt.. And too loud playing at night, etc.. And he has a Super Reverb.. Talk about Loud!

He said, he could dial his Amp in at a Volume level, Set his Tone, etc., where he likes, then on his Pedal board engage his Distortion Pedal & turn the level on the Pedal to almost 0. The overall volume isn’t too loud & his Tone & FX sound great..

He said, it’s am alternate way to attenuate his Amp… Another Guy said, he was actually attenuating his Guitar..

Whatever. If it works that’s great..

I haven’t tried it yet but will tomorrow.. I’m curious..

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:40 pm

Roland cube series are good. Also the new JC40 and 22 although I’ve not tried either are on my radar. I really kindof want a JC40 myself.

Cannot discount other good clean ss amps. It’s not a very complicated sound to achieve really. Any good clean amp will do. Sometimes strat pickups and hbuckers are also used in that guthrie sound.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:29 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:40 pm
Roland cube series are good. Also the new JC40 and 22 although I’ve not tried either are on my radar. I really kindof want a JC40 myself.

Cannot discount other good clean ss amps. It’s not a very complicated sound to achieve really. Any good clean amp will do. Sometimes strat pickups and hbuckers are also used in that guthrie sound.
If you like SS Amps which not everyone does..

Some are better than others but I have yet to hear an SS Amp I think sounds as good as Tube Amps.. I guess “good” is subjective…

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:48 am

There are a lot of Marshall in a box, amp foundation type pedals out there simulating different Marshall tones. Box of Rock, Angry Charlie, a vintage Rat, I would look at a clean oriented amp as a base and use pedals to augment the tone.

As an alternative to the Roland suggestions, the Vox Pathfinder series were a good basic clean amp, and relatively cheap. Add a Marshall type pedal for some crunch and maybe a Hot Cake for similar overdriven Vox tones.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:06 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:29 am
Unicorn Warrior wrote:

Some are better than others but I have yet to hear an SS Amp I think sounds as good as Tube Amps.. I guess “good” is subjective…
I didn’t really say he needed a SS amp. Just that the ones I mentioned would likely fit the bill if he wants to get in Guthrie territory. I would also wager that a lot of Good SS amps sound better than a lot of entry level tube amps on the market. Not going to get into the weeds of that, but all of those amps would sound better than the class 5 for what he’s wanting. I’ve owned one and I know how they behave. FWIW, I play a Matchless tube amp myself and have a Roland Cube as a back-up. And as a big Cocteau Twins fan, im confident he’ll get close to that tone in my suggestions.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:35 pm

Princeton Reverb is always the answer.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:24 am

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:35 pm
Princeton Reverb is always the answer.
I agree..

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:28 am

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:06 pm
Larsongs wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:29 am
Unicorn Warrior wrote:

I didn’t really say he needed a SS amp. Just that the ones I mentioned would likely fit the bill if he wants to get in Guthrie territory. I would also wager that a lot of Good SS amps sound better than a lot of entry level tube amps on the market. Not going to get into the weeds of that, but all of those amps would sound better than the class 5 for what he’s wanting. I’ve owned one and I know how they behave. FWIW, I play a Matchless tube amp myself and have a Roland Cube as a back-up. And as a big Cocteau Twins fan, im confident he’ll get close to that tone in my suggestions.
By the same thinking a good Tube Amp sounds better than an Entry level SS Amp.. Actually any SS Amp….

But, If you’re going for a SS Sound a SS Amp is the way to go…

I dig your Matchless though!