You Win Again, Nostalgia...NAD

Make it loud here.
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

You Win Again, Nostalgia...NAD

Post by Surfysonic » Sat May 28, 2022 8:29 pm

Yes, nostalgia won over common sense. Practicality-wise, I have more than a couple of amps that cover the same territory as this one. Sentimality-wise, I've been pining away for one of these for far too long ever since I sold my previous one that I used when I gigged with my old surf punk band.

I previously owned a used '90s Fender '63 Vibroverb Reissue. I bought it from Atomic Music for the hefty price of $800 back in (I think) 2014. I eventually traded it back in (if I remember right) to Atomic Music some years later for other gear after I acquired my first Fender Vibro-King, thinking at the time, well, now I've upgraded from a 2x10 to a 3x10. Both are obviously awesome, I just didn't appreciate it at the time. :fp:

Not too long ago, I bought a Mojotone replica cab on Reverb and put my Fender "Custom" Vibrolux in it. After a while, I concluded it just wasn't the same. I was lying to myself. Also, I felt I was doing a disservice to the "Custom" Vibrolux by taking it out of its lovely original cabinet. So I put it back in its original cabinet. I felt the balance in the Universe had been restored. :P

I thought about getting the Mojotone kit to make a handwired Vibroverb clone. However, I need to take baby steps and get one of Mojotone's simpler Tweed builds before attempting a Vibroverb kit build. I put this idea on the backburner and one day I'll go for it as I am keen to learn. One day I'll build it and call it the Surfysonicverb...or something like that. :derp:

I'm guilty of having a handwired amp preference over pcb amps, even though I do have a few pcb amps that have all been great. Then I saw this video a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPFOdDWVgjI

This made me realize that I all I really wanted was what I once had (or close to it). Karma eventually responded with me getting a decent "Make an Offer" deal on Reverb for this early '90s Fender '63 Vibroverb Reissue (40-Watt, 2x10).

It has a few mods. First, the original cab was replaced with a Mojotone cab. I stll have the other Mojotone cab - likely I'll use it with the Mojotone kit build one day.

The Polarity switch was removed and replaced with a bias pot:

Original speakers have been swapped out for a pair of 10" Eminence Legend speakers.

I don't recall specifically if the speakers in my first '63 Vibroverb Reissue were Oxford speakers or if they had been swapped out by the previous owner with Jensens. I thought they were Jensens, which I usually like, however, my memory is a bit fuzzy. In any case, the speakers in that amp were a bit wooly - like a wool blanket was placed over the cabinet at low volumes at home. It sounded great when cranked for gigs, though.

It never occurred to me at the time (before I became interested in guitar/amp tech geekery) to swap out the speakers. What I read back then, was the Fender '63 Vibroverb Reissue needed the Fromel mod (or Moyer mod?), which I actually had gotten applied to my "Custom" Vibrolux to fix it's well known issues (hissing, hum, lack of reverb from reverb tank). My Vibroverb '63 RI didn't have those issues, though, so I didn't move forward with getting a mod at the time.

I like Eminence speakers as I have other Eminence speakers (15" Eminence Legend in my Fender Pawn Shop Excelsior Pro and 12" Eminence Special Design "CS" in my Fender '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton Edition).

Happily, my new '63 Vibroverb Reissue sounds great at any volume.

Here with my other '90s Fender, the Vibro-King. Along with the 90's "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb, I'm accruing quite the '90s era amps. I doubt I'll get the "Custom" Vibrasonic as I've already got a couple other 1x15 Fender amps and the Custom Vibrasonic's 100 watts is more than I'll ever need at this point in my life.

The serial number on my first '63 Vibroverb Reissue was AB01181, (A=1990, B=February according to Fender Product Dating) making it a February 1990 amp:

Interestingly, my new amp's serial number is actually only a little bit earlier than my previous VIbroverb. SN# AB00410 - also a February 1990 amp.

Well, that's one less obsession to scratch off the list! :whistle:
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: You Win Again, Nostalgia...NAD

Post by Veitchy » Sun May 29, 2022 3:03 am

Those brown Vibroverb amps are pretty close to a desert island amp for me. Glad you got one back in your life, and it matches the decor.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun May 29, 2022 9:00 am

Cheers, Veitchy! Hope you get one when possible! Not gonna lie, I'm completely infatuated with brown tolex amps! :?

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Tue May 31, 2022 5:25 pm

Nostalgia is a helluva drug. I'm glad mine was tempered relatively cheaply with an old 1484.
She/Her

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:11 pm

You always have some crazy bad ass amps around 8)

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:22 pm

congrats. the 90s vibroverb was stunning. jonny from Jonny and the Shamen used one and his live tone was drippy as all get out with his japan mosrite and 63RI reverb unit.

I wanted one but thought it wouldn’t be loud enough, so I bought a vibro king. cool amp, but I kinda wish I had the VV.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:37 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:11 pm
You always have some crazy bad ass amps around 8)
Thanks! It comes at a cost. :D

I just did a big amp purge today to put a healthy dent in the ol' gear debt. Anyone relatively near Maryland might want to visit Atomic Music in Beltsville, MD in 30 days if they have any interest in some of my gear. I sold them my '64 Fender Princeton (Tuxedo), '94 Fender Vibro-King, Fender Pawn Shop Vaporizer, Fender Pawn Shop Excelsior Pro, and my Fender Princeton Reverb Ltd Edition Reissue. There's a 30-day wait before they're put out on the floor for sale because I didn't have receipts for them (owned them too long, bought locally, bought used and lost receipts, etc.). Saves me the hassle of shipping (damage risk) to the amps and I don't have to deal with Reverb fees/tax stuff.

I was on the fence about selling the Vibro-King as this is the 2nd one I've owned and I love them. However, after carrying this beast from the mancave to the garage and loading it up in the car, I decided it was time to move it on. I was also on the fence re: the Princeton Reverb Reissue - great little 1x10 blackface amp, but I'm just a brownface guy at heart and it wasn't getting any use.