Amp Modeling For Rackmount Headphone Setup

Make it loud here.
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Amp Modeling For Rackmount Headphone Setup

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:52 am

(I apologize for any grammatical weirdness, as this was originally a part of a 2 year old thread, when I realized that it was different enough to warrant its own thread and possibly not take away from someone else's.)

Does anyone know of a headphone amp or something like the Strymon Iridium or Neunaber Iconoclast in a rackmount format? I'm working on changing my pedalboard setup (no more board for most stuff!) and would love to have something to just plug into on the rack that would with headphones for late at night.

After re-reading this thread a few times and checking out reviews, I have a couple questions.

My plan is that I'm changing my pedal setup for home, from a semi-static, series-wired pedalboard, to a rack setup with pedals on shelves and a few patchbays, so I can run guitars, bass, and synths with my pedals, and change the order at the drop of a hat. My plan is to have a little amp modeler or something like that, so I can play with headphones late at night or when Very-soon-to-be-Mrs. J is working.

The idea was to have the amp modeler run into a headphone amp, so if my buddy comes over to jam, we can both hear what's going on. With the modularity of the whole thing, I could change patch cables to make a little quick rig for him, and route it to one of my amps (so we each have one) or to the headphone amp, so we can both play and hear each other. What I'm thinking, it should be easy to do, except for decent tones with a modeler (the "except" here being that I'm not very familiar with the moder stuff, not that it's not possible). Here's what I'm wondering:

1) Are any of the modelers mentioned that have stereo in-outs (Strymon Iridium, Neunaber Iconoclast, DSM Humboldt Simplifier) able to use the stereo side as dual-mono, where the signals stay separate? I.E., does the left in and out cross to the right, or does left in only come out left out? Or would it make more sense in that case to get 2 of the Iridium/Iconoclast/Simplifier to have 2 independent channels?

2) I don't mind the idea of computer editing, but I'd prefer something that has multiple amp and speaker models ON the amp itself (Yamaha THR series seems to do this).

3) I'd prefer rackmount, but would almost consider the Yamaha, BUT I don't think it's a dual-mono thing. I would be ok with little devices on a shelf. I don't want a big (and expensive!) modeling setup like a Fractal Axe FX, or anything digital-only like the Amplitibe. Definitely prefer something hardware-based.

4) I don't really care about effects (Line 6 POD, etc.), more the amp stuff only.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Amp Modeling For Rackmount Headphone Setup

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat May 21, 2022 10:35 am

I just found that DSM makes a Simiplifier DLX that looks like it should do 2 separate mono signal paths simultaneously. I emailed them. I'd prefer having something like that rackmounted, but that could be the answer. I'll report back when they email me back.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sat May 28, 2022 3:33 am

I'm using a Walrus Audio ASC-1 ahead of my delay/reverb pedals, into a rack ART tube preamp and a Zoom tac-8 interface, which could double as a headphone amp for 2, in a pinch. I'm using it stereo, but I believe you could also do it mono/mono. it has its own headphone outs, but for some reason, it sounds terrible to me- it may be my headphones- I have Tascam TH-200X models, but I'm so smitten with how it sounds recorded, that I may never mic an amp again. It does sound a bit better through the TAC-8 and logic pro x.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon May 30, 2022 11:41 am

Thanks for the response dude!!

The more I think about it, the more I think I might just go with separate signal paths. I'm planning on a getting a rackmount headphone amp no matter what, and what I had in mind doesn't seem to exist. I emailed DSM about the Simplifier, and have yet to get a response. I'm honestly really tempted to try the new Universal Audio Dream '65 pedals and if I like it, save up for the others.

EDIT: I forgot that I also have a Darkglass Vintage Ultra. It'll be hooked up to the bass for the most part, but I could see how it sounds with cab sim on guitar just to see.