PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Surfy Industries “surfypan” reverb pan

Post by hexes » Mon May 16, 2022 11:29 am

ziess wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 2:57 am
øøøøøøø wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 11:09 am
I use it lots of different ways.

I don't struggle with ground loop hum, but I'm pretty careful about how I power my stuff (when using it for guitar I always plug the amp and the 6G15 into a single power drop going to the same place).

Less so these days, but when I had it in my NYC studio I'd often use it in conjunction with a Radial EXT-C patched to a send as a reverb effect in mix contexts... it's "what spring reverb should sound like" to me, probably just because it was the first really good spring reverb I knew.

I especially like it doing a pretty subtle thing on a clean archtop sound... dwell pretty far down, reverb tone really dark, mix pretty low as well (just a sniff of reverb)

It also works really, really well with Danelectro UB-2 baritone ("six string bass") and also just any time I want Fender-style spring reverb, really.

One thing it doesn't really love, in my experience, is to be used with amps that are overdriving on their own. I'm not normally putting reverb on overdriven sounds anyway, but "distorting the reverb" is very different from adding reverb to a distorted sound, and can tend to take up a lot of space, sonically (usually too much, for me)
Funnily I always preferred it with a distorting tweed Deluxe! I might pull it out of storage and try it with some other amps.

Tommy.
i adore the 6g15 with my tweed deluxe clone, but not when it’s fully cranked. they do sound great together, considering the reverb unit is basically a tweed champ.

I agree with op though, i find the 6g15 VERY versatile and I’m glad to read they were using it in a mix bus scenario too. I do that with mine when I can. a producer friend even asked for a stereo spring reverb unit.