NAD: '62 Fender Pro

Make it loud here.
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD: '62 Fender Pro

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:58 pm

Some gut shots, with death cap and now removed death cap.

I found a few marks on the speaker, but I still have no idea what it is - hopefully, someone on here might recognize it. No plans to change it out or anything, just curious as to what it is. Maybe a Warehouse or Weber?

I'll likely head over to Big Crunch Amp Repair this Saturday to have them replace the 2-prong power cord (saving it for historical posterity) with a 3-prong power cord and check the amp out for any problems (some of those leaked over components are concerning).
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:22 pm

Lovely!

The speaker looks too old to be a Weber or WGS to me, I'd look older.

I found a company on ebay called Vintage Wire Supply that sells parts for restoring vintage fans. But, they carry a variety of cloth covered, 3 strand wires for power cords that I really like to use for adding 3 prong to vintage amps while still maintaining some vintage flair. It always pains me to see a vintage amp with an orange or grey extension cord cut up to use as a power cord.

Just got in 10 ft of a lovely green and yellow striped wire for my new-to-me Supro that someone "added a 3 prong plug on" but didn't change the wire from a 2 conductor. The ground on the plug isn't wired to anything.

You can see a bit of the red/white candy stripe power cord wire in this pic of my drip edge Champ.

She/Her

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:13 pm

hulakatt wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:22 pm
Lovely!

I found a company on ebay called Vintage Wire Supply that sells parts for restoring vintage fans. But, they carry a variety of cloth covered, 3 strand wires for power cords that I really like to use for adding 3 prong to vintage amps while still maintaining some vintage flair. It always pains me to see a vintage amp with an orange or grey extension cord cut up to use as a power cord.

Just got in 10 ft of a lovely green and yellow striped wire for my new-to-me Supro that someone "added a 3 prong plug on" but didn't change the wire from a 2 conductor. The ground on the plug isn't wired to anything.

You can see a bit of the red/white candy stripe power cord wire in this pic of my drip edge Champ.

Cool, thanks, I'll check out Vintage Wire Supply - I love the red/white candy stripe power cord! 8)

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:31 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:13 pm
hulakatt wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:22 pm
Lovely!

Cool, thanks, I'll check out Vintage Wire Supply - I love the red/white candy stripe power cord! 8)
Just make sure you get the 3 wire as they also offer 2 wire. Also, it's sold by the foot.
She/Her

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:21 am

Sounds good, thanks! :)

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:33 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:56 pm
Surfysonic wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:24 pm
i love sharin foo wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:30 pm
That is one beautiful amp!

For my brown Princeton, I bought a new Fender foot switch. I sanded it down and painted it brown. Then I cut the ends off of an old brown, two conductor extension cord and attached it. Finally, I soldered on the old style RCA plug. It looks the part now and didn’t cost the several hundred that old brown ones do.
Thanks! I totally admire your ingenuity re: the footswitch. I'll probably just get a modern replica of the 1-button RCA input from Darren Riley Guitar Parts - https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-1- ... 994050000/.
That one will work, too! I went a bit overboard with mine but it was a fun little project and cost very little other than the time.
I received the modern replica of the 1-button RCA input from Darren Riley Guitar Parts today and it fits/works perfectly - just an FYI for folks with vintage amps that's looking for an RCA footswitch (for tremolo). 8)

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:44 pm

I picked up my '62 Fender Pro from Big Crunch Amp Repair today. Things done (and undone) to it per Brooks of Big Crunch:
Things of note:

The code on the tube chart has a June of 1962 production date.

This is a transitional circuit between the 6G5 and the 6G5-A. It has the bias supply of the 6G5 and the preamp layout of the 6G5-A. (6 preamp tubes vs 5 of the 6G5)

The output transformer has been replaced at some point. The replacement transformer has a 1966 date code.

All of the filter capacitors are original and some are visibly leaking.

All tubes are testing good with the exception of one dead 12AX7 in the preamp.

It looks like one of the power tube sockets burned and was replaced at some point. The work was done well.

There is a modification to the preamp – an extra gain stage was added after the two channels combine and before the phase invertor. This would add more gain to the amp. I haven’t powered the amp up yet so I don’t know how it sounds.

The speaker is testing good.

The transformers look good.

Recommended service:

The power cable obviously need to be replaced with a modern three-prong cable.

The amp needs all electrolytic filter capacitors replaced.

The one dead 12AX7 preamp tube needs to be replaced.

Optional service:

We can remove the modified extra gain stage and return the amplifier back to the stock Pro Amp circuit.

We can add an adjustable bias trim pot (like the later blackface designs) for more efficient power tube operation.
I said yes to everything. I have all the swapped out old/bad components and power cable for historical posterity.

Brooks loved the tremolo/vibrato. He thinks this was a transitional amp but I forget specifically why, it sounds cool to me. Really looking forward to spending some time with this beastie! :)

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:09 pm

Enjoy man. I decided to slow down on vintage amp buying and instead am converting a ‘72 Twin into a 1x15”. And anyway whatever money I could have possibly justified spending on a brown Pro just got spent on a vintage jag instead BOO!

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:25 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:09 pm
Enjoy man. I decided to slow down on vintage amp buying and instead am converting a ‘72 Twin into a 1x15”. And anyway whatever money I could have possibly justified spending on a brown Pro just got spent on a vintage jag instead BOO!
I saw that you bought Johnny's '65 Jag - what a great deal (considering current bloated prices out there)! Congrats! The '72 Twin conversion sounds awesome!

Just had a fun playthrough with the '62 Fender Pro with my Fender Japan Traditional ‘60s Jazzmaster - a guitar I have been considering moving on. I learned two things - 1) the Pro sounds awesome and plays well with my pedals, and 2) the Fender Japan Traditional ‘60s Jazzmaster is a fantastic guitar and a keeper. Which is a conumdrum for me. I have to think about moving a guitar or two on to make room for a custom Musikraft neck/MJT body build that I'll be putting together later on this summer. The neck is actually arriving tomorrow - I'm stoked! :w00t: The body may be another month or so before it gets shipped out to me.

FWIW, if/when I ever decide to move the '62 Fender Pro on, you got first dibs, my friend! Hopefully, long after you get your house! 8)