17%

Total votes: 36

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Help Me Pick an Amp for my Bandmate!

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:56 am

Hey Gang,

So my new band is starting to plan some tour dates for the fall and are due to purchase some gear for the excursion. We'll be touring in my bandmate Liz's compact SUV, so space is at a premium. I am planning on picking up a lunchboxish head and cab to suit my current fancy, so either a Victory Copper 35 or a Sheriff 44 with a Mojotone Lite 1x12 cab. Nice and compact, but with enough wattage to give me some headroom as I use my volume knob a lot and would like that sound to not be totally anemic when I do.

Liz is not much of a gearhead, but we've arrived that she needs a 'pushed' Fender type of sound as a counterpoint to my more blatant Marshally/Voxy britrock sounds. I'd ideally love something for her where she can just kind of turn it up and go, but am slightly concerned at drowning her out. My amp choices have Master Volumes so we have some control there, but I'd love to arrive at a thing that gets her what she wants without much fuss but also would not take up a ton of space in this car.

So! Three choices there, also open to more. Blues Jr was my first thought, but I'm concerned that 15 watts might get too dirty for her up against a 30/40 watt amp. I'm well aware that 15 watts cranked up is still quite loud, but am going back and forth on whether the DRRI might be a better choice and worth the slight increase in size.

Thoughts? Options? Other suggestions? Hit me.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help Me Pick an Amp for my Bandmate!

Post by JSett » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:18 am

My vote would likely go to HRD as they are reliable (despite what the internet says), have plenty of volume on tap, good cleans and sound good overdriven. A Used Hot Rod Deluxe can be picked up for peanuts and $20 will get you one of those master volume things that goes in the FX loop so you can push it into overdrive at any volume.

They're the biggest selling amp of the last 25 years for a reason. I have one as a backup and would happily tour it without worry.

DRRI are loud for their size but you might still come across a situation where it isn't quite enough. The HRD will do pretty much anything you want it to and, after just checking on Reverb, can be snagged used for about $300-400
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:51 am

I concur with the HRD. A Peavy Classic 30 is also a good, loud & inexpensive option with a clean Fenderish sound.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:05 am

I was watching a repair video on the Blues Jr. the other day pre and post removing the bright cap. Gotta say it sounded so much better without.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:07 am

If you aren't putting a microphone on her amp through the gig's soundboard, she is going to want at least 35-40 watts of power to keep up with your drummer (assuming you use a drummer) and your guitar/amp.

Among your choices in your poll, I agree with Johnny - the HRD will get the job done @ 40 watts and they're fairly reasonable used on Reverb (even less than a used Blues Junior III or IV). Another option is a Fender Blues Deluxe, the 40 watt 1x12 sibling to the Blues Junior.

Good luck! 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:17 am

The Traynor YGL1 looks kinda neat. No spring tank though.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:03 am

beauzooka wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:51 am
I concur with the HRD. A Peavy Classic 30 is also a good, loud & inexpensive option with a clean Fenderish sound.
If you're considering that route, don't count out a Peavy Delta Blues, especially one with a single 15" speaker. They are essentially a Classic 30, but I think they sound a little bit different (in a good way!).
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:53 pm

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:20 pm

My favorite of the modern Fenders is the Pro Jr.
Not particularly Fenderish tonally. Loud little buggers though.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:49 pm

A Peavey Bandit, set clean, with a Joyo American Sound pedal to get any Fender Tube Amp tone you like.
Loud, durable for gigging, and sounds great.

There are players using the Joyo AS direct to a gig PA system so they can pack their 'amp' in the guitar gig bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TU_bY3LOOI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwoTIRPkfhE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uo6gmOIduM

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:48 pm

I’m regards to Fender gigging amps, I love a good Deluxe Reverb. Nothing sounds sweeter IMO.

I know some are tossing around the idea that sub 35 watts won’t keep up with a drummer, but it’s really hard for me to buy that.

I’ve played exclusively with 15 watt vox and matchless amps over the last few years. I’ve yet to be in a situation where I was over powered by a drummer or my amp volume wasn’t cutting it in any venue. Granted, anytime we were in a large venue, I was mic’d as was everyone else regardless of amp wattage. I will say I have never had to have my volume too far past noon for any of these situations.

I guess if volume is your concern, and you’re not going to be micing, go with the HRD or Blues deluxe. Plenty of bands use them all the time and for a reason.

But, if you have DR money, might as well get the super light weight Fender twin (not tube) but supposedly sounds magical. Will be slightly larger than a HRD, but significantly lighter and louder. Beautiful tone to boot. And I think there’s the fancy line out and all that on those. Though I’m not sure

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:02 am

Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb would safe you from a lot of trouble if the tube supply stays difficult. They sound great and have a attenuator built in, so any required level can be matched easily.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:05 am

Thanks for all the weigh-in, folks. I'm surprised how many people went for the HR Deluxe in this but then again they are ubiquitous for a reason, I suppose.
Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:48 pm
I know some are tossing around the idea that sub 35 watts won’t keep up with a drummer, but it’s really hard for me to buy that.

I’ve played exclusively with 15 watt vox and matchless amps over the last few years. I’ve yet to be in a situation where I was over powered by a drummer or my amp volume wasn’t cutting it in any venue. Granted, anytime we were in a large venue, I was mic’d as was everyone else regardless of amp wattage. I will say I have never had to have my volume too far past noon for any of these situations.

I guess if volume is your concern, and you’re not going to be micing, go with the HRD or Blues deluxe. Plenty of bands use them all the time and for a reason.

But, if you have DR money, might as well get the super light weight Fender twin (not tube) but supposedly sounds magical. Will be slightly larger than a HRD, but significantly lighter and louder. Beautiful tone to boot. And I think there’s the fancy line out and all that on those. Though I’m not sure
Yeah I'm a little surprised about this too, because I played micro heads (Tiny Terror, Avatar 18, Mesa Mini Rec) for years in my last band and volume was rarely an issue, even un-mic'd. Dynamics were in a way I'm trying to solve this time around with something a bit heftier, but for my bandmate's purposes that wouldn't bother her.

And honestly we've played those new Tonemaster Twins both at shows and in our old practice space and I don't buy the hype on them at all. They sound just as solid-statey to me as anything Fender has tried in that regard before and not in a way that I personally find pleasing the ear. Fun as hell to lift, though!
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:37 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:18 am
My vote would likely go to HRD as they are reliable
I'm sorry but I would place a hard disagree on that statement. They have a *very* well known failure point where the tube socket solder joints break due to heat and mechanical stress. I've repaired that issue on more of them than I can count on two hands and unless you're replacing the sockets with proper wired ones, its only temporary. That's also ignoring the board mounted sockets and pots which are prone to solder joint failure as well. Reliable is not a word I would use to describe any of the Blues/HotRod series.

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:18 am
They're the biggest selling amp of the last 25 years for a reason.
They're widely available, economical, and sound good. Which of course is nothing to balk at, they DO check a lot of boxes, but they're not perfect. That said, for the price a better option might not be available.
Instagram: thetonyballs

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:30 am

HRD man, they are the best bang for your buck in the Fender tone world and they are built like tanks.
If you were going lower wattage I would say the Pro-Jr
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.