What's with the PRRI price differences?

Make it loud here.
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's with the PRRI price differences?

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:04 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:48 pm
I ended up with this (I paid less), and the reason I bought that one was because it has a 12" speaker instead of the 10", and because it has a solid pine cabinet instead of the laminate.

The 12" speaker makes a big difference and it's fantastic sounding amp.

On a side note, I remember hearing somewhere, ages ago, that 10" is the "perfect" speaker size for guitar, for reasons to do with frequency range, as far as I recall.

It kind of made sense to me given that bass combos tend to have bigger speakers still, the standard being 15", suggesting that a larger diameter = more lows. The converse of that would be that a 10" would have less lows than a 12" and might just make the 10" cut through a band mix better.

I'm not sure I've ever owned a 10" combo, but part of the PRRI's appeal for me is the smaller form factor and giving a 10" speaker combo a try.

Interested to hear any facts/opinions on the diameter/frequency range thing, if only to debunk a possible internet myth.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:23 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:04 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:48 pm
I ended up with this (I paid less), and the reason I bought that one was because it has a 12" speaker instead of the 10", and because it has a solid pine cabinet instead of the laminate.

The 12" speaker makes a big difference and it's fantastic sounding amp.

On a side note, I remember hearing somewhere, ages ago, that 10" is the "perfect" speaker size for guitar, for reasons to do with frequency range, as far as I recall.

It kind of made sense to me given that bass combos tend to have bigger speakers still, the standard being 15", suggesting that a larger diameter = more lows. The converse of that would be that a 10" would have less lows than a 12" and might just make the 10" cut through a band mix better.

I'm not sure I've ever owned a 10" combo, but part of the PRRI's appeal for me is the smaller form factor and giving a 10" speaker combo a try.

Interested to hear any facts/opinions on the diameter/frequency range thing, if only to debunk a possible internet myth.
Internet myth for mine. There's way more to speaker construction (and resultant sound) than the size of the basket/cone.

And a few seriously bright 15" drivers (ie JBL D-130F) that sound most excellent for guitar, just ask the steel guys. And the flipside a truly enormous number of folks running bass rigs through <n>x10" speaker cabs.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

olliewtf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by olliewtf » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:21 am

to echo what others have said...

I went to a shop and heard the 68 and 65 side by side, hoping to love the 68 as it was a bit cheaper.

I walked out and found a 65 second hand. It sounded so much sweeter. The 68 didnt have that glassy, sweet quality to it.

Now the power valves have burnt out so it needs some love. I've also been tempted to swap out the speaker.

Look for a 65, you wont regret it - I paid 650 at the start of the pandemic, and organised a courier to collect and deliver.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:34 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:

I could see that, after all, chasing low frequencies on the guitar is not always worth it.

Regardless, you can hear the difference here, it's a pretty good shootout. At one point they demonstrate the smaller speaker not quite keeping up with the low notes, but make of it what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNcr6hLOJaE&t=998s
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:49 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:34 am
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:

I could see that, after all, chasing low frequencies on the guitar is not always worth it.

Regardless, you can hear the difference here, it's a pretty good shootout. At one point they demonstrate the smaller speaker not quite keeping up with the low notes, but make of it what you will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNcr6hLOJaE&t=998s
I looked on Sweetwater & did a comparison between your Tweed FSR Model & my 65 DRRI. The only differences I could see is the Tweed COvering & a Cannibis Rex speaker.. Does that sound right?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:56 pm

Well, plus mine is a Princeton, so it's a different amplifier in general, 12 watts versus the 22 watts in the Deluxe and probably a bunch of other differences I don't know.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:22 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:56 pm
Well, plus mine is a Princeton, so it's a different amplifier in general, 12 watts versus the 22 watts in the Deluxe and probably a bunch of other differences I don't know.
I also have a 65 PRRI… That’s what I was intending to refer to..

After watching this the only differences according to him is the Covering & the Speaker… But, he speaks very favorably of this Amp..

https://youtu.be/5ypAl4SGxhM

I’m curious about trying one like yours….

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:31 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:22 pm

I also have a 65 PRRI… That’s what I was intending to refer to..

After watching this the only differences according to him is the Covering & the Speaker… But, he speaks very favorably of this Amp..

https://youtu.be/5ypAl4SGxhM

I’m curious about trying one like yours….
Oh, got it. Yes, the only difference is the different size in speaker, mine is a ceramic speaker and yours might be Alnico, the covering and mine is solid pine wood and I think the reissues are laminate.