NAD - Fender '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton Edition

Make it loud here.
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NAD - Fender '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton Edition

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:54 pm

I've been on the lookout for a used hand-wired Fender '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton Edition that was decently priced for quite some time. When they do come up for sale, they usually go pretty fast. Recently, this one came up for sale on Reverb and I jumped on it. Seller shipped it via USPS Priority, so a delay was expected. Luckily, the delay time wasn't as bad as it has been and it arrived today! :w00t:

The box took a nasty hit during the shipment, so I was preparing myself for some damage. Fortunately, the seller packed the amp really well and I guess the Filson Rugged Twill fabric cover provided some decent protection, too. There was only one dent in the tolex on the back top of the amp:

I've done more damage to an amp when loading up for gigs in days gone by, so I'm not bothered by this ding. :whistle:

The amp fired up with no issues. From a variety of YouTube demos on this amp, I was concerned that the amp's tone was a little strident/harsh sounding. Happily, they were just bad recordings/settings, I guess. It sounds wonderful, exactly like my '64 Fender Princeton. The Tube-Biased Tremolo is lovely.

I've become a fan of Eminence. The Eminence 12” Special Design “CS” speaker sounds absolutely spot on in comparison to some of my old '60s speakers (Utah, Jensen, and JBL). This is my third amp that uses Eminence; the other two are my 90's Fender Vibro-King with the 3x10 Fender "Vintage Blue" Eminence speakers and my Fender Pawn Shop Excelsior Pro with the 1x15 Eminence Legend speaker.

Clearly, from the forthcoming photos, I'm insanely obsessed with brownface amps. :wacko:

If wondering, this amp is basically replacing my '64 Fender Princeton that eventually I'll have to put back up for sale unless I can move some other gear instead. :'(

Anyhoo, I can't recommend the hand-wired Fender '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton Edition enough if you want to dip your toes into Fender Brownface tones. It pairs wonderfully with my SurfyBear Classic Reverb Unit and pedals sound great, too. The list price for a new one is pretty close to or just under the cost of getting a vintage early '60s Princeton. That's why I kept on the lookout for a used one as they have been listed as low as $1600. I paid a little more than that but I still saved quite a bit under the cost of a new one.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD - Fender '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton Edition

Post by mekhem » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:57 am

I generally like amps with onboard reverb - but i have to admit I am very curious about this....

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:44 am

Congratulations!

I am very interested in the Stapleton Princeton.
How would you compare the sound to the larger brownface amps?

I have 62 Bandmaster, 62 Bassman, and 90's RI Vibroverb and would be interested in a smaller/quieter amp with comparable tone

I have home-built 6G3- Deluxe clone that is excellent for driven sounds but needs some circuit tuning for really good clean tones.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:43 am

mekhem wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:57 am
I generally like amps with onboard reverb - but i have to admit I am very curious about this....
I totally get the preference for onboard reverb, but they're typically on blackface tone amps - I have a couple - Princeton Reverb RI, TM Twin Reverb. I think there are a few exceptions, including the VIbro-King, which has the brownface tone with onboard reverb (that sounds just like an outboard one - great amp, but not light...). The other two that come to mind are the '90s '63 Reissue Vibroverb (used to gig with and own, sadly gone now) and the '90s "Custom" Vibrolux, which I currently have. It's a great 2x10 amp once Fromel Mod was applied to fix its production issues (hiss, muted reverb).

There are probably other non-blackface toned amps with onboard reverb that I'm not familiar with or simply forgot, heh.

I like outboard reverbs (Fender Reverb Unit, SurfyBear Classic, SurfyBear Compact) and get they're not the tone or convenience that an onboard reverb has. I never thought I'd get into Reverb pedals, but I love the variety of the several I've acquired over the years - for convenience sake, I'll prefer the pedals over onboard and outboard sometimes. I posted a topic on Reverb a while back in the Effects section - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=120681 for anyone interested.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:15 am

Igorilla wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:44 am
Congratulations!

I have 62 Bandmaster, 62 Bassman, and 90's RI Vibroverb and would be interested in a smaller/quieter amp with comparable tone

I have home-built 6G3- Deluxe clone that is excellent for driven sounds but needs some circuit tuning for really good clean tones.
Thanks very much! :) I'll say this - my '64 Princeton and the '62 Bassman (that I recently sold to OSG buddy DeathJag) tonally sounded the same to me (as in, glorious!). The added benefit is the Princeton's tremolo. The '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton Edition tonally sounds like my '64 Princeton. For my home use (and not to deafen our pups), I don't usually go any higher than 3 on the Volume control. Of course, when they're outside, the wife is out running errands, and I can remember to close my office door, I do go louder for the breakup tones. 8)

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:57 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:15 am
Igorilla wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:44 am
Congratulations!

Thanks very much! :) I'll say this - my '64 Princeton and the '62 Bassman (that I recently sold to OSG buddy DeathJag) tonally sounded the same to me (as in, glorious!). The added benefit is the Princeton's tremolo. The '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton Edition tonally sounds like my '64 Princeton. For my home use (and not to deafen our pups), I don't usually go any higher than 3 on the Volume control. Of course, when they're outside, the wife is out running errands, and I can remember to close my office door, I do go louder for the breakup tones. 8)
Thanks for the quick reply!

It seems very likely now that the next amp is a used Stapleton Princeton.

On this side of the pond, the original 6G2 Princeton are extremely rare.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:07 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:54 pm

Amazing collection there. Those Vibrolux Reverbs will always be a dream amp for me.

I'm actually surprised at how big that Stapleton Princeton cab is. It looks almost tweed deluxe sized. Maybe not as deep?

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:59 pm

Those Stapleton Princetons seem really nice. I have an old '62 6G2 that I really love. I run mine at about 8 on the volume dial most of the time. It's really responsive to input signal strength... depending on the guitar and how hard I am playing, it can be pretty clean or dirty without touching the amp. I really like that about it. The tremolo is indeed wonderful! Just make sure you turn the depth off when biasing it :D
A death’s head ring upon his finger

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:42 pm

Veitchy wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:07 pm
Surfysonic wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:54 pm

Amazing collection there. Those Vibrolux Reverbs will always be a dream amp for me.

I'm actually surprised at how big that Stapleton Princeton cab is. It looks almost tweed deluxe sized. Maybe not as deep?
Thanks very much! Full disclosure, it's the '90s "Custom" Vibrolux that normally sits in the black tolex/silver grill cloth cab. The original cab is quite thin from front to back. I swapped out the white cupcake knobs (stored away) for brown ones. I have the cab securely stored away if I ever decide to remove it from the current brown tolex/wheat grill cloth cab from Mojotone. I'll probably do that once I take the plunge and get a Vibroverb Kit to build from Mojotone. I first need to start on a beginner amp (maybe the tweed Princeton 5F2-A Style ) before tackling that one.

I just now took measurements to make sure - the '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton Edition cab's measurements are identical with my '64 Princeton cab. As well, the '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton Edition weighs in at 33.25 lbs. (15.08 kg), which also feels about the same weight as my '64 Princeton.
i love sharin foo wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:59 pm
Those Stapleton Princetons seem really nice. I have an old '62 6G2 that I really love. I run mine at about 8 on the volume dial most of the time. It's really responsive to input signal strength... depending on the guitar and how hard I am playing, it can be pretty clean or dirty without touching the amp. I really like that about it. The tremolo is indeed wonderful! Just make sure you turn the depth off when biasing it :D
Nice! Does it have the stock or replacement 10" speaker or has it been modified with the 12" speaker? The previous owner of my '64 Princeton had a new baffle put in for the 12" Utah speaker housed in the amp.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:56 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:42 pm

Nice! Does it have the stock or replacement 10" speaker or has it been modified with the 12" speaker? The previous owner of my '64 Princeton had a new baffle put in for the 12" Utah speaker housed in the amp.
It has a replacement speaker. I’m not even sure what it is exactly. It is still 10” though. Other than that it’s all stock. It had a few odd changes around the cap can and a few other things when I received it. But I recapped it and put everything back to stock. It even came with an original copy of the parts layout which to be as old as the amp itself.
A death’s head ring upon his finger

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:44 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:56 am
Surfysonic wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:42 pm

It has a replacement speaker. I’m not even sure what it is exactly. It is still 10” though. Other than that it’s all stock. It had a few odd changes around the cap can and a few other things when I received it. But I recapped it and put everything back to stock. It even came with an original copy of the parts layout which to be as old as the amp itself.
Cool! Several things were done by the previous owner(s) to the '64 Princeton along with my just getting new tubes and capacitor replaced by getting it serviced recently. My Princeton Reverb Ltd Edition Reissue has a 10" Jensen that I have no plans swapping out or trying to modify with a 12" speaker.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:56 am

Man, those are nice. :?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:41 pm

If I could buy a new Fender amp, it would be this one. In fact, I nearly went this route before settling on my Matchless Spitfire. Maybe I’ll grab one eventually.

Happy new amp day!

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:16 pm

Thanks, Maggieo & Unicorn Warrior! If you can find one used, it's an amazing deal for a non-vintage vintagey amp! 8)

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:32 am

That amp looks great. I think Fender has been knocking out out of the park with their high end hand wired amps. I've got one of their Edge Deluxe amps and it's pretty amazing.