Russia war about to cut vacuum tube supply

Make it loud here.
fendertweed
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Russia war about to cut vacuum tube supply

Post by fendertweed » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:30 am

I stocked up in the late 1990s-early 2000s mostly, fortunately, with multiples of replacements for different amps.

I’m glad I did now, it’s still more than I’ll use but suddenly doesn’t look as deep a stock supply.

My retail prices paid back then are about wholesale today, so I can at least recoup some …

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:37 am

I saw a press release today from Tube Amp Doctor in Germany that they're bringing a new production facility in China online (not Shuguang)

https://audioxpress.com/news/update-reg ... amp-doctor
Without a doubt, the current situation on the tube market can be classified as dramatic. In any case, for years, there have been only three noteworthy manufacturers of audio amplifier tubes such as 12AX7 / ECC83, EL84, EL34 and 6L6GC.

In August 2019, the largest manufacturer Shuguang closed its factory in order to move to a larger and more modern location. Unfortunately, the new production facility has not been granted permission for two years now. In the meantime, leading employees have left or have been compensated. This probably means the end of the Shuguang Electron Tube Factory.

The second major manufacturer in Russia, known mainly for the Sovtek, Electro Harmonix, Tung-Sol and Gold-Lion brands, can no longer export tubes since the Russian sanctions came into force. This leaves only JJ as the smallest of the three big manufacturers. And their delivery time was already up to 18-20 months, even before the Russian sanctions.

As we anticipated the development with Shuguang at a very early stage, we had already intensified a new cooperation with a small manufacturer in China in 2020. We knew that they had acquired the production facilities of another tube manufacturing plant that had been closed in the early 2000s, but had not yet used them for the types of tubes we required so urgently after Shuguang ceased production.

Working closely together, we facilitated a massive expansion and modernization of the production facilities and started with the TAD 6L6GCM-STR REDBASE in spring 2021. This was followed by the TAD 6L6WGC-STR, the TAD EL34-STR, the TAD 12AU7A / ECC82 and the TAD GZ34-STR.

Currently, we are expecting the start of volume production of the new TAD ECC83WA, 7025WA, 12AX7A/7025, 12BH7A-STR and KT88-STR right now, followed by more models such as the 6V6GT-STR, 6550A-STR, 12AT7 / ECC81 and EL84-STR REDBASE series in the near future.

All REDBASE tubes are individually tested, listened to and, if necessary, matched at TAD in Germany, thus replacing the obsolete TAD-STR and TAD-BLACKPLATE tube models. The TAD REDBASE series is manufactured independently of the three previous manufacturers and will significantly ease the supply situation for the mentioned tube types within the next few months.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:26 pm

A member on another forum mentioned Psvane, so I'm guessing that may be it:

http://www.psvane.com/wap/en/aboutus.html

Here's an interesting update in the EHX online store that asks more questions than it answers:

https://shop.ehx.com/item/5881%20tungso ... -tung-sol/
EHX wrote:Attention All EHX Tube Customers

The export restriction on Russian tubes has been resolved for now. We are accepting new orders, processing backorders, and hoping to resume shipping in April. Priority will be given to the oldest orders.

Considering various economic pressures, we must raise our wholesale prices. This price increase will apply to all back- and new orders. Also, there will likely be a further price increase for tubes shipped from our NYC headquarters once the government implements heightened tariffs against Russian goods, akin to the 35% rate Canada is now imposing. Other territories, including EU, UK, and Japan, are expected to follow suit.

For all non-US customers facing such heightened tariffs and with combined Russian tube orders of $3K or more: Consider having our Russian warehouse directly ship such combined orders to the nearest international airport in your country. That will avoid our having to pass along the cost of the heightened US import tariff. Otherwise, you will, in effect, incur a double tariff on shipments imported first to NYC and then to a country with heightened tariffs.

You can cancel any backorder, but we do not recommend this; there is a tremendous shortage of tubes.
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:33 pm

Aw, man.

Guess I'll be sticking to JJ tubes for the foreseeable future, to the minimal extent that I need tubes. I can't in good conscience buy from Russia or China anymore.
This is an excellent rectangle

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:07 am

Was thinking about this over the past couple days and went to see what stock is looking like online, looks like eurotubes is straight up shut down right now:

"Our online store is temporarily closed due to an overwhelming numbers of orders placed after 3/10/2022. Do not worry! JJ Electronic is running at full capacity and we're processing existing orders as quickly as possible. Once we're caught up we will reopen the store."

I'm hoping to get on the road this summer and will want to take some backups just in case, but maybe it's smart to move to one of those Fender "tonemaster" series amps and just not worry about the hassle for the time being.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:08 pm

Oof, that figures that JJ's backed up to its eyeballs.

Good thing solid state amps can be very good sounding indeed. Jeez!
This is an excellent rectangle

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:39 am

I just have the same opinion, a fender tonemaster super reverb or twin could be something i will try if i was a touring musician ,now the price is silly you can find one for less than 1000€ new ,no hasle with tube ,waranty of 5 years , half weight ,ect ....
I just look at thé price of drri 65 tube Now it is 2000 € :derp:
For now i have my quilter pro block 200 and my cab (15 ),the tone master weight less in fact but could be a little more space invasive,last time i have play on stage ,a friend who use normally is twin (tube) use it instead cause he find the sound attractive and this way avoid the change of gear and the pain of moving it (you all know how painfull twin move is),and at the end he was satisfied with the sound ,and as listener i don t heard the différence too
I think the futur will be this ,tube gear will be only studio use du to rarities of tubes (and prices) and in live you can t hear difference plus the painless moving

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:10 am

Well, since everyone thinks tube amps are a thing of the past, it looks like nobody'll be wanting them. I volunteer to collect all tube amps you don't want anymore ― especially those old ones that need lots of tubes ― and recycle them into badly played music :D
Create art, not content

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:52 am

Had my small delivery of a couple of NOS tubes just in case then rummaged around in my boxes and dug out the whole reserve just to see how I stood. This should do me okay but I might grab a couple of extra power tubes just in case

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

ziess
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ziess » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:02 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:52 am
Had my small delivery of a couple of NOS tubes just in case then rummaged around in my boxes and dug out the whole reserve just to see how I stood. This should do me okay but I might grab a couple of extra power tubes just in case

I've got a big drawer of my toolbox filled with something similar! I've picked them up on and off for years, thinking about it now though reminds me that I haven't actually had to change a tube in about 15 years! In fact I've only ever had to replace one old stock tube ever.

Tommy.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:08 am

ziess wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:02 am
I've got a big drawer of my toolbox filled with something similar! I've picked them up on and off for years, thinking about it now though reminds me that I haven't actually had to change a tube in about 15 years! In fact I've only ever had to replace one old stock tube ever.

Tommy.
This was my thinking too. I have a box full of 'part worn' new tubes somewhere where I'd change them as a matter of course on my high-use amps and shove them in there for emergencies but really they could just be binned. I've got enough here to retube my main 3 amps a couple of times if needed. Those old rectifiers should see me into retirement :D

ziess
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ziess » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:29 am

I think last time I checked I had six spare Mullard GZ34s, so it's good to know my kids will be sorted too!

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:40 pm

An interesting update from Western Electric:

https://guitar.com/features/interviews/ ... pdfZzUhf9I
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:23 pm

BeeTL wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:40 pm

That is really, really good news

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:45 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:23 pm
BeeTL wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:40 pm

That is really, really good news
Before you get too excited, have a look at what the tube they currently produce sells for.
A death’s head ring upon his finger