Term for speaker wire "clips" that interface with speaker contact tabs?

Make it loud here.
bipedal2
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Term for speaker wire "clips" that interface with speaker contact tabs?

Post by bipedal2 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:38 am

Looking for some terminology clarification: I've decided to dust off my mid-70's silverface Fender Champ and give it a tune up, starting with replacing the speaker and the tubes.

Rather than the two signal wires connecting to the speaker's tabs via friction-fit crimped metal clips (which are more properly known as ____?), I see that the wires in my Champ are soldered directly to the speaker's cabs.

Skill-wise, I'm comfortable with soldering and can easily solder the wires directly to the new speaker's connection tabs when I replace the speaker, but I'm just wondering if those crimped metal clips have a special name, and if it's worth tracking down some of those clips and adding them to the wires rather than direct solder connections to the speaker tabs.

I don't anticipate swapping out speakers regularly on this little beast. Barring defects in the new speaker, it's going to stay put.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Term for speaker wire "clips" that interface with speaker contact tabs?

Post by JSett » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:47 am

"Spade Connectors" here in the UK
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:04 am

"Spade connectors"/"spade terminals" here in the US too, at least in the maintenance groups I've worked with.

As for the work, yes, soldered connections are more solid, but I think a properly crimped spade terminal is more than adequate. Soldered connections for a speaker is overkill, in my opinion.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:11 am

for what it's worth, I've always put a small amount of solder on the spade terminals after crimping for extra 'belt and braces' strength/reliability. Likely overkill but it makes me feel more secure about things. It wicks quite nicely and gives a real solid connection.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:57 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:11 am
for what it's worth, I've always put a small amount of solder on the spade terminals after crimping for extra 'belt and braces' strength/reliability. Likely overkill but it makes me feel more secure about things. It wicks quite nicely and gives a real solid connection.
You add solder to the wire and spade terminal, or between the male and female spade terminals? I could see adding a bit of solder to the wire and terminal, but I like the idea of quick-changing a speaker if it ever blew. Although, I don't often change speakers either...
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:08 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:57 pm
johnnysomersett wrote:
You add solder to the wire and spade terminal, or between the male and female spade terminals? I could see adding a bit of solder to the wire and terminal, but I like the idea of quick-changing a speaker if it ever blew. Although, I don't often change speakers either...
Yeah, to the wire and spade terminal then just slip them onto the speaker as usual, sorry I didn't make that particularly clear. I don't change speakers much either but I never trusted the crimps all that much (for no reason other than general paranoia) so the solder acts as a strain-relief of sorts for pulling them off.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:15 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:08 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
johnnysomersett wrote:
Yeah, to the wire and spade terminal then just slip them onto the speaker as usual, sorry I didn't make that particularly clear. I don't change speakers much either but I never trusted the crimps all that much (for no reason other than general paranoia) so the solder acts as a strain-relief of sorts for pulling them off.
I'm glad I asked. I actually figured you meant crimping a terminal to the wire and then soldering the terminal to the speaker terminal. I was thinking "that's gonna be solid as hell, but a bitch to remove if you need to change the speaker" :D I've worked around spade terminals a lot, and if they are crimped right, it isn't usually an issue, but a little solder between the wire and the terminal definitely won't hurt either!

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:53 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:08 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
johnnysomersett wrote:
I've actually been warned (by folks far more experienced than me) against doing this; rather than acting as a strain relief the solder wicking up the wire can create a brittle point where the wire strands flex against the now rigidly 'fixed' soldered section (causing breakages), instead of all strands being able to freely move as per normal. Probably not a huge issue when the speaker leads are at a perfect length, but they'll still move a little bit as the amp/cabinet is shifted around.

Basically either one or the other is fine (assuming a properly crimped connector), but not both.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:38 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:53 pm

I've actually been warned (by folks far more experienced than me) against doing this; rather than acting as a strain relief the solder wicking up the wire can create a brittle point where the wire strands flex against the now rigidly 'fixed' soldered section (causing breakages), instead of all strands being able to freely move as per normal. Probably not a huge issue when the speaker leads are at a perfect length, but they'll still move a little bit as the amp/cabinet is shifted around.

Basically either one or the other is fine (assuming a properly crimped connector), but not both.
That's a logical point, in fairness, never thought of it that way. I just started doing it years ago and never had anyone correct me. I've not had issues like you mention but I can see how that might happen (although, if crimped tightly then the wires shouldn't be moving anyway within the terminal). I have seen frayed wires on old connections, unsoldered ones, in cabs before but mostly where it's been sat somewhere a little damp or whatever and there has been corrosion on them.

Makes sense though.

bipedal2
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bipedal2 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:50 am

OP here: thanks all for helping on this one: spade connectors / terminals. Exactly what I needed.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:29 pm

:fp:
johnnysomersett wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:38 am
andy_tchp wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:53 pm

That's a logical point, in fairness, never thought of it that way. I just started doing it years ago and never had anyone correct me. I've not had issues like you mention but I can see how that might happen (although, if crimped tightly then the wires shouldn't be moving anyway within the terminal). I have seen frayed wires on old connections, unsoldered ones, in cabs before but mostly where it's been sat somewhere a little damp or whatever and there has been corrosion on them.

Makes sense though.
one step further, at least electrically and mechanically a “Properly” crimped terminal of the right gauge for the wire is the correct way to use terminals. i used to add a dot of solder too, but doing theatrical equipment installs taught me otherwise. the hard part is finding the correct spade sizes… some speakers have different size tabs.

I solder my speaker tabs once i’ve picked the right speaker for the circuit; though, I have never blown a driver on a guitar amp.