Woodson 2x12 Cab - CTS Speaker Info?

Make it loud here.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Woodson 2x12 Cab - CTS Speaker Info?

Post by MrShake » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:52 am

Hey, all, may have a new amp day coming up, but in the interim, I'm rewiring an old Woodson PA cab to suit the potential new member of the team. It seemed to be half a PA set, with 2 8ohm speakers wired for 16 ohms. It was given to me ages ago but I've mostly just had it stored. It sounded fine after re-wiring the jacks, which had a massive volume knob in the back. Now going straight in, 1/4" jack to speaker wire.

Can anyone help ID these speakers? They're 12" CTS (137 code), dated August '74?

Beyond that, I know little about speakers. Sound alright to me, didn't blow my mind, but I'd like to start learning more about this kind of stuff. Anything distinctive or notable about it, other than just being some OEM stuff for Woodson? (I *have* searched around before posting, but that first code isn't bringing anything up for me.)

Woodson, huh? Golly, I wonder what kind of head this would go well with.

I'm rewiring it for 4 ohms today, hopefully to suit the new arrival.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Woodson 2x12 Cab - CTS Speaker Info?

Post by MrShake » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:05 am

Ok, so I've been doing as much research as I can.

I was thinking all night about what this could be. The model number is 2-12WM. The 2-12 is self-explanatory, the W is clearly "Woodson", but the M was driving me crazy.

Then it hit me. The thing had a rheostat volume control in it. It was probably a PA monitor, right?

Since Woodson is basically a ghost brand, I had to do some searching and found buried in literature that Kustom's "Monitor Module" was rated at 100W. But it had more (and different) speakers. With the relationship between Woodson and Kustom, I have to imagine Woodson's monitor would be rated the same, but I don't know and I'd hate to blow out these speakers the first time I crank my new Kustom head through them.

The only relevant info seems like it might be kept at VintAxe.com, behind a paywall. Like, I've looked everywhere. That site has a 1973-1974 Woodson Catalog that I'm almost positive has specs for this 2-12WM cab, but the thumbnail is too blurred to find it.

Is there ANY chance someone here would be able to look up that spec and share? I've been trying to nail this info down for 15 years, it'd be a real nice win on this one.

(Please ignore the dreadful wiring, it was from a hamfisted early rewiring years ago. I'm feeling much better now.)