Good clanky solid state amps

Make it loud here.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Good clanky solid state amps

Post by MrShake » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:12 am

I'm no expert, but my "B-line" of the few amps I have include a ZT Lunchbox, which I love, esp pushing a second 1x15, and a Fender Deluxe 112 Plus from the 90s, which works for me, but does have a little bit of a plasticky sound at times, almost boxy when pushed hard.

But I've been refurbing a 1977 Peavey Classic 212 that I mentioned in another thread. Yes, it does Skynyrd, and it acquitted itself nicely for years in a garage/punk band as a loud "I need an amp" amp to blast with a pedal. I didn't know anything about amps OR tones back then. But I do now. Setting the preamp at 2 and scooping the mids keeps it clean and tilts toward the sounds my SF Bassman Ten makes, but that amp won't get that clanky grit this SS pre delivers.

But the guy I bought it from had owned it since the early 80s and gigged around in a band that he said was "very Gang of Four" back then. He said he used to set it for "maximum 'chank,'". I cleaned the pots yesterday (and it was like Lazarus) and have only been experimenting today, but geez, it might really suit anyone who's looking for this kind of thing. With the SS preamp set to "edge of breakup" at 3-4 depending on your pickups, it grazes that harsh clipping on those types of records and messing around with my wife's Strat definitely put me in that spiky post-punk rhythmic territory. A Dist+ set low and a Phase 90 only added to that. I lost like an hour this morning. And best of all, a few knob twiddles and I'm back in southern rock territory or clean pedal platform territory.

In my reading on these, this is the "vanilla" Classic hybrid from the "100 Series", and I keep reading Gill played the similar Classic VT for a while himself. Elvis Costello apparently played something similar too. Really anything in the "Mace/Deuce/Classic/Artist" group would have pretty much the same preamp, and I understand the VT Series version of those preamps (the ones with ICs) are pretty close. I can't vouch for the later, more advanced VTX Series, never tried one, but people seem to like 'em.

Seems like these Classics (NOT the all-tube ones) are cheap all day, I see them on craigslist, and 50w tube volume with a clanky/chanky/raspy front end seems like a good deal for (at this moment in time) under $200. And if you need more than 50w, upgrade to the 100w Deuce or *160w* Mace or Artist. But with the preamps being what they are, I'd heartily suggest these hybrids for exactly this type of tone search. If I were joining a band like that, I could even see myself going without pedals *gasp*! It's that clanky and throaty.

images hosting

Been enjoying the thread! Good luck with the Yamaha!

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:17 am

Please pardon my following my own post. Tasteless, I know. But Elvis Costello content is probably more relevant on OSG than anywhere else, right?

So, I adore Elvis Costello. Those first five or so, yikes. Huge for me in high school and college. I'd seen the ad he was in for the Peavey Deuce, but didn't think much of it. I figured Voxes or Fenders or Boogies or whatever was nice in the '70s. And I doubted he actually played them. Less than an hour after I posted, someone mentioned Peavey hybrids were his live sound for a while. That while was, like, '77-'79 or so, when he switched to Music Man. Like, the PRIME era. ELVIS. COSTELLO. I'd never given a thought to his amps, it was all about that Jazzmaster. How could I not have stumbled across that?

So I hit YouTube and have a moment like at the end of The Usual Suspects. Every live Costello clip I'd ever seen and loved. There it was. Like some time travel movie reveal. My jaw dropped. It wasn't a Deuce. It was a Classic 4x10. The logo is in script, not easily readable block lettering. No pedals. Just that sound. The whole time. I could hear it clear as day, that harsh rasp and clang. El Mocambo. That amazing Rockpalast set.

F@¢{!ng Saturday Night Live.

I'd have had a lot less gear shame in college had I known. (Thanks for not overusing the word "Classic", Peavey.). I had the "early Elvis Costello" amp. A '77 model even. Maybe in the same batch as EC's ;)

I never would have had Costello come to mind when thinking "postpunk guitar" but there are enough feedback jams I'd not noticed in hundreds of listens, and that tone's nasty. Good nasty.

So, if you're looking for a cheap, cool, offbeat, grindy, nasty solidstate that can do postpunky clang, check out the noise break of the Rockpalast or Live At El Mocambo version of "Watching The Detectives" and see if it suits you.

... AND it does Skynyrd.

"Watching The Detectives" Kõln, Germany, 1978
https://youtu.be/K--POHTLGY0

Live At The El Mocambo, 1978
https://youtu.be/wFUqxKFA-RQ

PS - please pardon all my Peavey Posts. I think I have it out my system now ;)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:22 am

Live At The El Mocambo, 1978 is fucking awesome.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:30 pm

MrShake wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:12 am
...... And if you need more than 50w, upgrade to the 100w Deuce or *160w* Mace or Artist. ....
I've owned a couple of the Mace amps. They are literal sonic paint strippers. Great for bass though
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MC5tooge » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:17 am

Old Roland JC with a proper spring reverb tank.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:36 am

There could be a hint of my preference in the pic. Maybe. :blush:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:55 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:36 am

even the tape echo :-*

but what's the non-HH thing with the rectangles? more echo?

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:39 pm

jorri wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:55 pm
]

even the tape echo :-*

but what's the non-HH thing with the rectangles? more echo?
That's an ancient Ace Tone drum machine. Trying out some sounds through some effects and filters...
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

JAGJazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JAGJazz » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:36 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:36 am
Now that is a cool collection! Jelly.

noctnikkor
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by noctnikkor » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:46 pm

Up until recently I was using an HH IC100 which really was an excellent amp for making these sort of noises. Plus the dials are backlit which is just so cool

VPO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by VPO » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:09 pm

Ibanez GX 100. Ugly but solid sound with nice spring reverb.