NAD - Vox AC15C1-TV

Make it loud here.
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NAD - Vox AC15C1-TV

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:04 pm

I've been on the lookout for a decent Vox amp for several years but other gear took priority. I've only had one other Vox amp in my life, the Vox Night Train 15W head & cab. I owned it for about 5 minutes before trading it in over 10 years ago. By then, I was (and still am) firmly entrenched in Fender amp glory.

Lately, though, I've been delving back into Brit new wave and punk stuff and after many YouTube demos on the Vox AC15 in its various iterations, I really like the look of the Vox AC15C1-TV. I found this used beastie in the Guitar Center Used Amp section.

It's true what they say about the weight of the Vox AC15 - oofa, it's a heavy mofo. :wtf:

I'm enjoying the Normal channel but some reviewers didn't care for the top boost - I enjoy both channels, with a bit more tonal adjustment available on the Top Boost channel. The amp is totally quiet with pedals, too.

It has the smaller Accutronics reverb tank and it sounds alright. I might swap it out with a larger tank one day. Lately, though, I tend to use some really good reverb pedals more often so I may leave the stock one in there.

It appears the stock speaker in these amps is the Celestion G12M Greenback. Mine came with the Celestion G12 Vintage 30, which was a pleasant surprise.

Finally, after all these years, I'm playing my guitars with the glorious Vox tone and its chimey goodness. I cranked out a little "Apache" by The Shadows and then "Lips Like Sugar" by Echo & The Bunnmen. Absolutely wonderful! 8)

The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD - Vox AC15C1-TV

Post by Jonesie » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:15 pm

I'm curious how much overlap the AC15 and Vaporizer have. I always thought they were kinda on the same wavelength.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:53 pm

Jonesie wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:15 pm
I'm curious how much overlap the AC15 and Vaporizer have. I always thought they were kinda on the same wavelength.
The AC15 is chimier (more Vox-like, as it were). However, the Vox's Normal channel and the Vaporizer both have just a Tone control, no treble and bass eq. So they are similar (to me, at least) for that. Oh, and both are loud amps (now that I replaced the Vaporizer's stock speakers with Jensen P10Q 40W speakers. 8)
Last edited by Surfysonic on Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:02 am

I had a similar arc with the AC15 that I picked up about a year ago. Always into the brit stuff but played Fender or Fender-derived amps for the longest time. When I got my AC15 it took a bit of getting used to, but once I was I realized how glorious they can be. Normal channel is definitely where it's at, and pushed by a compressor or a Rat and the tone is just delicious :)
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:30 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:02 am
I had a similar arc with the AC15 that I picked up about a year ago. Always into the brit stuff but played Fender or Fender-derived amps for the longest time. When I got my AC15 it took a bit of getting used to, but once I was I realized how glorious they can be. Normal channel is definitely where it's at, and pushed by a compressor or a Rat and the tone is just delicious :)
Nice! Yeah, it handles pedals very well - fuzz, od, distortion, delay, reverb, tremolo, etc. Pictured in my earlier post is my secondary pedalboard comprised mostly of Fender pedals. I haven't had the chance yet but I plan to run it through my primary pedalboard today at some point.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:46 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:30 am
stevejamsecono wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:02 am
Nice! Yeah, it handles pedals very well - fuzz, od, distortion, delay, reverb, tremolo, etc. Pictured in my earlier post is my secondary pedalboard comprised mostly of Fender pedals. I haven't had the chance yet but I plan to run it through my primary pedalboard today at some point.

Well you got quite a collection here! And this goes triple!
I like your enthusiasm for reverb! ;-)
Ampwise: the difference between Vaporizer/Fender and AC15 was interesting to hear for me too - I recently made my first serious steps into Vox territory with the Vox AC100 CPH - (I'm a head and cab guy - so the number of Vox amps I'd really consider really is limited - the Vaporizer is my only combo). It was one of my two top choices (aesthetically - out of the catalogue in about 2007 - the Fender Supersonic 60 in Blonde/Oxblood made it in the end) and as a friend got it cheap and doesn't need it - I'll get it :-) . Actually already had it already for a few weeks - but the power socket made some weird noises - and he's going to let someone fix this before I buy it... and yes I like the Vox chime. Good contrast to the Fenders I got. It's made in china and the Reverb is "just" a Belton Brick... but it's decent enough for some tunes and the gain section is actually usable and it also takes pedals well... the only downside is that all the switches and input jacks are on the "wrong" side! :-P

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:31 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:46 am
Ampwise: the difference between Vaporizer/Fender and AC15 was interesting to hear for me too - I recently made my first serious steps into Vox territory with the Vox AC100 CPH - (I'm a head and cab guy - so the number of Vox amps I'd really consider really is limited - the Vaporizer is my only combo). It was one of my two top choices (aesthetically - out of the catalogue in about 2007 - the Fender Supersonic 60 in Blonde/Oxblood made it in the end) and as a friend got it cheap and doesn't need it - I'll get it :-) . Actually already had it already for a few weeks - but the power socket made some weird noises - and he's going to let someone fix this before I buy it... and yes I like the Vox chime. Good contrast to the Fenders I got. It's made in china and the Reverb is "just" a Belton Brick... but it's decent enough for some tunes and the gain section is actually usable and it also takes pedals well... the only downside is that all the switches and input jacks are on the "wrong" side! :-P
Thanks! Yeah, these reverb pedals have various flavors of reverb - Mr. Black's Deluxe Plus and the Nocturne El Pescadoro have darker reverb tones that I'm loving.

The Vaporizer has issues for sure, especially some noise issues. I ended up replacing the speakers, reverb tank, reverb tank cables, tubes, and shielding the bottom of the reverb tank. I've got it pretty quiet, now. The "Vaporizer" pedal effect is still a hot mess (nothing like the official Fender YouTube demo). It would be nice to get that sorted someday.

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:58 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:31 pm
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:46 am
Thanks! Yeah, these reverb pedals have various flavors of reverb - Mr. Black's Deluxe Plus and the Nocturne El Pescadoro have darker reverb tones that I'm loving.

The Vaporizer has issues for sure, especially some noise issues. I ended up replacing the speakers, reverb tank, reverb tank cables, tubes, and shielding the bottom of the reverb tank. I've got it pretty quiet, now. The "Vaporizer" pedal effect is still a hot mess (nothing like the official Fender YouTube demo). It would be nice to get that sorted someday.
what do you recommend for a reverb tank replacement? I'd love to switch out mine for something a little more traditionally Fender.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:43 pm

Jonesie wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:58 pm
what do you recommend for a reverb tank replacement? I'd love to switch out mine for something a little more traditionally Fender.
For my Vaporizer, I went with the Accutronics Long Decay 2-spring reverb tank - https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products ... y-2-spring from AmplifiedParts.

I've had a MOD Long Decay 2-spring reverb tank in an outboard reverb unit and it was excellent - https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products ... y-2-spring - more discerning folks may prefer the MOD over the Accutronics. I might get a MOD Long Decay 2-spring reverb tank for the Vox at some point.

Features for both:
  • Replaces: 4AB3C1B
  • Solid, sturdy construction
  • Type: Long (2 Spring) tank
  • Decay: long decay
  • Input: 8 Ω
  • Output: 2,250 Ω
  • Connectors: Input insulated/output grounded
  • Locking: No lock
  • Mounting: Horizontal/open side down

Compatible amps include tube reverbs from 1963-1990 such as the Princeton Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Super Reverb, Pro Reverb, Twin Reverb, Quad Reverb, Super Six Reverb, Vibrosonic Reverb. This also includes all reissue equivalents. Also includes Fender® ’63 Reissue Reverb Unit, Fender® Concert II, Mesa Boogie® MK2C plus other models, LAB® Series L5, L7, L9, Koch® Powertone I, B-52® AT-100. Also compatible with some speaker-driven, type F, vintage Ampeg® amps such as B12X, B12XY, Echo Jet, Echo Twin.

There are two other long reverb tanks by these brands offered for Hot Rod Deville, Blues Deluxe (reissue only) and the Blues Deville (reissue only) that I wasn't interested in.

Features for both:
  • Replaces: 4EB3C1B
  • Solid, sturdy construction
  • Type: Long (2 Spring) tank
  • Decay: long decay
  • Input: 600 Ω
  • Output: 2,250 Ω
  • Connectors: Input insulated/output grounded
  • Locking: No lock
  • Mounting: Horizontal/open side down
Compatible amps include Fender® Hot Rod Deville, Hot Rod Deluxe, Blues Deluxe (reissue only), Blues Deville (reissue only). Replaces Fender® Part Number 0050394000. Also, fits Traynor™ YCV50 as well as some Music Man™ and Peavey™ models. Suitable upgrade/ replacement for the Vox™ AC30CC series amp.

From Amplified Parts for your consideration:

The MOD® Reverb Tanks are high quality upgrade units. Some of the major differences between the MOD®s and other reverb tanks are that the Transducers are wired directly to their respective RCA jacks as opposed to current production tanks where Transducers are connected by a detachable plug to their respective RCA jacks. This makes the tanks less receptive to any outside interference. The original Hammond Accutronics tanks from the 1960s were also wired directly to their respective RCA jacks. In addition, very close attention has been paid to the spacing and size of the lamination of the Transducers resulting in a more vintage like tone.
Last edited by Surfysonic on Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:56 pm

I'm definitely a normal channel guy. Top boost is cool for some stuff but I am borderline obsessed with the normal channel (brilliant of course). The reverb on all vox amps kind of sucks. I think the vintage units didn't have this feature so I just pretend the new ones don't either. Glad you're enjoying it. I find the look of that model a bit abhorrent but it's all good. I'm sure it sounds great.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:01 am

Thanks - while I'm not really a fan of the gray grille cloth for both the Vox and my Vaporizer, I actually find the two-tone blue/cream quite lovely. YMMV! 8)

I do respect the traditional Vox's color aesthetics and would've easily bought an AV15C1 with the Limited Edition British Racing Green if one were affordable/available over this one.

ElephantDNA
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ElephantDNA » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:33 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:01 am
Thanks - while I'm not really a fan of the gray grille cloth for both the Vox and my Vaporizer, I actually find the two-tone blue/cream quite lovely. YMMV! 8)

I do respect the traditional Vox's color aesthetics and would've easily bought an AV15C1 with the Limited Edition British Racing Green if one were affordable/available over this one.
I'm just a vox-obsessive. It's probably fine - great amp I just love that traditional look!

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:50 am

It's all good! Most importantly, the Vox sound is there in spades! Loving it! 8)