Make it loud here.
fenderheavy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Deluxe Reverb metallic rattle

Post by fenderheavy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:58 am

Appreciate all your ideas. Anyone want to come over?lol

Different guitars = same result.

Noise travels with amp = different rooms / venues is same old same old. So I’ve ruled out sympathetic vibrations from unrelated objects.

Rectifier is a 5u4gb and is NOS, just installed as part of the overhaul.

I’ve had the chassis removed, put it on a cradle, on a rug in my living room, using normal channel with v2-v5 preamp tubes removed, running to an independent speaker cabinet, nothing else connected but a guitar, and still have the noise.

Head scratcher. I’m sure it is something stupidly obvious, but I might be dead before I figure it out. Maybe an input, pot, micro cap, brass grounding strip? Ahhh good times

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:51 am

Ok it sounds like a valve internally rattling to me but if we ignore that maybe it is a solder joint opening up and the closing depending upon the volume or notes played
I had a situation where a solder joint looked perfect but it was actually a cracked dry joint and at high volumes or when the amp got hit the crack would open up
I discovered that issue using a long screw driver and while wearing safety gloves and the amp on I pushed down on each solder joint until I discovered the ability to make and break contact in the solder joint
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:45 am

Next step for me would be to run the amp as you are, with the minimum viable number of tubes installed, and then give a sharp flick to each tube in turn to see if any of them excites anything.

After that, I'd go poking around inside with a chopstick, ideally while a friend played in a manner that consistently excited the issue.

Poking around inside a live amp is dangerous, though, so standard safety disclaimers apply