Make it loud here.
Snake Hips
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Talk to me about Attenuators

Post by Snake Hips » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:18 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:40 am
2 x 6V6 OR/OD 120 clone with a pentode/triode switch would be 1) 15/7 watts and sound proper, and 2) awesome.

Yeah, that would be awesome, however, time and money would be too much.

stevemac100
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by stevemac100 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:45 am

I used a THD Hotplate for use with my 68 Princeton - it worked pretty well for bringing it down to bedroom levels and it was not expensive. Have since swapped the Princeton & Hotplate for a Tone Master Deluxe with no need for attenuation.

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Racing » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:39 pm

Most attenuators out there are NOT made to turn a roar into a whisper.
Doing so is using them WRONG. They are NOT designed to handle this.
Yes, there are exceptions but they are few and far apart.

IMO if you can live with a MINOR difference in behavior what you need is for a tech to install a WELL DESIGNED so called PPIMV setup. It´ll always be there, that thing CAN turn a roar into a whisper and it adds no additional cost - apart from the install.

What´s more, attenuators.. "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long". Simple fact.

That said i´ve by now installed hundreds of PPIMV´s and have yet to have someone come back and ask me to revert their amp.

PPIMV for Post Phase Inverter Master Volume.

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:16 am

I use an attenuator on my Marshall SV20H (aka 20 watt Plexi) when I'm playing it at home, even in 5 watt mode into a 2x12 cab. This controls the level and still allows the power amp to distort. I don't care that it might shorten the life of the valves since it's not something I do on a daily basis. I also use the attenuator to control the overall level and still allow power amp distortion. It does slightly change the tone, but nothing that I can't adjust out using the presence control or the treble raised slightly.

Some owner use a volume control in the loop, but it's not the same sound as when the output valves distort, so I've not gone down that route myself. I think the key thing is (mostly) using the attenuator to slightly reduce levels rather than squashing them completely. It's a more extreme setting at home, but as said it's fairly rare (I tend to practice on another amp anyway).

You might have to chose an attenuator that matches your amplifier/speaker load too: I'm using a 16ohm Palmer model myself, so it means I can't use it on some of my other amps with 8ohm speakers/outputs.