Oops I did it again, Baby...(Formerly "It's Been A Looong Weekend...")

Make it loud here.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: It's Been A Looong Weekend...

Post by JSett » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:29 pm

I have been thinking about these a lot recently, what with getting older, weaker and lazier. That and my back is borked 95% of the time thanks to being hunched over in the shape of a prawn every day for work. I've yet to get the time to find somewhere to try one but the neo speakers are what's really speaking to me. I've never tried them on guitar (bass, yes) and I'm tempted to grab a pair to pop in my old-but-new-to-me Silverface Pro Reverb.

There seems to be a lot of options out there, and no real consensus as to which sound the most like a traditional Fender driver. Anyone here have any input? I loathe to take anything said on other forums, through Google searches, with anything more than a massive pinch of salt.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: It's Been A Looong Weekend...

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:28 pm

Welp. I'm now in a surf band with Matt22. Our drummer's home/rehearsal space is mid-way between us, so only about a 50-minute commute. First rehearsal, I brought my '62 Fender Bandmaster (40 watt) in my 2x10 combo cab. Sounded great as expected but was a bit overpowering for the rehearsal space even on 2-3 volume setting with the drummer. I'm a little paranoid about taking out vintage gear anyway (unless for a special occasion). My secondary pedalboard that I brought was a bit too large for my needs and space, so I'm now using my little 8-pedal capable pedalboard (with only 6 pedals) that was used for my bass rig.

Anyhoo, I traded in my old blonde/oxblood TM Twin Reverb @ Atomic Music for some gear swappage some time ago as I wasn't gigging and didn't see myself doing it going forward at the time. :whistle:

Now that I'll be gigging again in the near future, I would've really loved to get the TM Super but decided to go for another TM Twin Reverb because a Super is a bit too unwieldy size-wise and the cost of a used TM Twin Reverb is a lot less expensive (bonus that it's 3 lbs lighter than the TM Super, too. :D ) I got a used black/silver TM with stock Jensen N-12K neodymium speakers as I prefer them over the Celestion Neo Creamback speakers that come with the blonde/oxblood version.

If you remember from earlier in this old thread, I did order two Jensen N-12K neodymium speakers for the blonde/oxblood TM Twin Reverb. I still have them as I removed them from the blonde/oxblood TM Twin Reverb and re-installed the stock Celestion Neo Creamback speakers before trading it in. I'm going to put my set of Jensen N-12K neo speakers in my incoming Armadillo Ampwork-commissioned 2x12 speaker cabinet (cab arrives on Saturday, hopefully! Future update about that, forthcoming).

Of course, I got it for its light weight (33 lbs - tube version weighs 64 lbs. (29 kg)), attenuator, as well as the balanced XLR line output with impulse response (IR) cabinet simulations, level control, and ground switch. I'll use it on the 22-watt mode for band rehearsal. As it can be attenuated from 1-watt to 85-watts, it should be able to work for any venue, indoors and outdoors, down the road. Having been used to my '62 Bandmaster's 2x10 combo cab and smaller amps like my Fender '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton Editioni and Magnatone Twilighter for a while now, I forgot how huge the TM Twin combo cab is! :o

After updating the firmware with the 2 patches, it's good to go. Definitely has that Fender tone that I'm used to. I have to say, this one just sounds more like a tube amp than the last one. Sure, it will never be as good as a tube amp at this point, but this one's really close to me. There was a slight delay in sound (string strum/picking to amp output) in the last TM TR. I don't hear that delay in this beastie. The reverb sounds really great as it should so I don't need to bring one of my outboard reverb units. One less piece of gear to bring out is always a plus. In case anything goes wrong with the reverb, I've got Mr. Black Deluxe Plus Reverb & Tremolo pedal on my board. The onboard tremolo works great, too.

It plays great with my pedals - delay, overdrive, reverb (if needed), and boost. It's OK with the my SurfyBear SurfyFuzz pedal - it took some tweaking to get it to not be overly harsh. I'll keep making adjustments but it's alright for now. I won't even need fuzz with our current set of songs but ya never know down the road.

I'll work on a demo video tomorrow and add it to this post.

Here's my gig pedalboard, too.

2-part demo:

https://youtu.be/Ta0zzZvLdYA

https://youtu.be/zIOcD92kNCI
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

letterstoboddah
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Oops I did it again, Baby...(Formerly "It's Been A Looong Weekend...")

Post by letterstoboddah » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:28 am

i love your demo. it is very natural and seems honest not like other people on youtube. and you have a good collection

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:09 am

letterstoboddah wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:28 am
i love your demo. it is very natural and seems honest not like other people on youtube. and you have a good collection
Thanks very much! I do tend to ramble but then, I'm almost 60 (next month!). I clearly don't script it but I have some general points I try to cover (between rambles) and then kind of just let the sounds take me to wherever.

As mentioned in my previous post, my new head shell and extension cab arrived. I'll be making a video today of me installing the speakers into the cab and play through my '63 Bandmaster head...then do some other stuff. :whistle:
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

letterstoboddah
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by letterstoboddah » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:42 am

i enjoy the slower pace there are too many videos on youtube that are so fast i cannot understand well enough haha