what caps and resistors do you stock up on?

Make it loud here.
DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: what caps and resistors do you stock up on?

Post by DeathJag » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:59 am

I tried to start the Merlin book the other day, and was almost immediately lost in the maths. I need to take some basic electronics courses first. I can see how once one has the basics understood, that book is a Smorgasburg of answers. So I closed it for another day and picked up the Kuehnel Book instead. I also read Rob Rob‘s “ how tube amps work“ up until the long tail rectifier part which I could not really understand.

Wish I could just enroll in the college down the street that teaches automotive stuff and electronics. That would save so much time. I have so many dumb questions that a teacher would be able to answer very quickly. Instead I’m having to suss it out from reading multiple sources. But I guess that’s actually a lot during a pandemic!

When people were listing how they got started, none of them were during a pandemic. I wonder how many people just got started in total isolation? Also I have crippling tendinitis and cannot really use the computer so it’s all paper for me. I am able to dictate this on the phone, but mousing and pointing and searching around is impossible right now.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:58 am

I haven't bought any Vishay metal film resistors for a couple of years now (as you can see my stock is still OK), but the link below is to where I bought them here in OZ, you can see the Vishay part no. there as well.
Obviously use the filters on the LH side to select the ohmage you are looking for information about

https://au.rs-online.com/web/c/passive- ... 22:true%7D
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:59 am

Merlin's books are great … yeah if the maths is a little hard, just keep looking at the words/pictures and then look at various Fender schematics (large and small amps) and you will start to see how things work and go together. And DO NOT FORGET … you can ask questions here at OSG !
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:08 pm

sookwinder wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:58 am
I haven't bought any Vishay metal film resistors for a couple of years now (as you can see my stock is still OK), but the link below is to where I bought them here in OZ, you can see the Vishay part no. there as well.
Obviously use the filters on the LH side to select the ohmage you are looking for information about

https://au.rs-online.com/web/c/passive- ... 22:true%7D
Will do, thanks a lot!

Re Merlin: I like the approach he takes because it is a good match to my background. But the suggestion to look at the figures and the corresponding verbal explanations is a good one, if maths is a concern. In the end you want a qualitative knowledge that enables you to a) fix your amp and b) make it sound good to you . And math/physics/ee is not the one and only thing that helps in that department.