Make it loud here.
seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Quilter making me QUIT T00BZ??

Post by seenoevil II » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:24 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:25 am
It will be interesting to see if you Quilter's will still be playing them in 5 years.. 3 or even 2....
First learned about quilter from a 2016 Deerhoof rig rundown. Saw them live not too long before lockdown and they were still rocking it. That's about 3ish years. Plus you gotta think they were using it before then.

I think they're likely here to stay.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:30 pm

I 100% started this thread in the honeymoon phase of owning this amp. I got a good deal on a Mini 101 that I intended to run as a headphone practice tool: guitar > board > Quilter > headphone output. Then I got curious and picked up a 1x10 Blockdock and really like the sound of this thing into a speaker. WAY better than into headphones at any rate.

A couple of subsequent gear flips and an unexpected paid speaking gig brought a Strymon Iridium into the house which does headphones SUBSTANTIALLY better than the Q. Now I'm going back and forth between the Quilter's flexibility and size/weight vs. the AC 10 and selling the Quilter off to just use the Iridium for headphone time and recording.

I feel like these amps definitely give the lie to the idea that solid state is sterile and brittle, but the bigger cabinet on the AC 10 gives it an airier sound, despite both being closed-back cabs. The accurate/honest power scaling on the Quilter is definitely better than the master volume on the Vox, but the Vox doesn't have a BAD master volume either.

Of course, I still really want to play a Tweed Harvard/clone and desperately wish I'd never gotten rid of the early 60s Magnavox or the brown Vibrolux I used to have, but well...ain't that just the way?

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:02 pm

Among my Tube Amps is a recent Vox AC10C1. I did not like the stock Speaker at all. I upgraded to a Celestion Greenback which was a big improvement. Then upgraded Tubes. First JJ's which sounded better. Then to Tung Sol which sound even better. Finally got a Weber Special Edition 10" spkr that sounds like a Celestion Alnico Blue.. Now I really like this little Amp.. It has a great Sound... I do switch to e Greenback once in a while as I do like that sound too... If I found a cheap used AC10 I'd buy it & put the Greenback & Tung Sols in it..

I've still have my Pods & occasionally use them & the Sans Amp in my Pro Tools.. But, I'm just not a fan of Modelling Amps sound..

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:02 pm
Among my Tube Amps is a recent Vox AC10C1. I did not like the stock Speaker at all. I upgraded to a Celestion Greenback which was a big improvement. Then upgraded Tubes. First JJ's which sounded better. Then to Tung Sol which sound even better. Finally got a Weber Special Edition 10" spkr that sounds like a Celestion Alnico Blue.. Now I really like this little Amp.. It has a great Sound... I do switch to e Greenback once in a while as I do like that sound too... If I found a cheap used AC10 I'd buy it & put the Greenback & Tung Sols in it..

I've still have my Pods & occasionally use them & the Sans Amp in my Pro Tools.. But, I'm just not a fan of Modelling Amps sound..
Yeah, I just plugged into the Vox again this afternoon and it is definitely better by far than the Iridium. I haven't spent much time dialing stuff in on the Iridium, so I think I can get a sound I'm happier with there. Now I'm looking at Weber and Celestion Gold 10" speakers, though.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:53 pm

peterherman wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:33 pm
Larsongs wrote:

Yeah, I just plugged into the Vox again this afternoon and it is definitely better by far than the Iridium. I haven't spent much time dialing stuff in on the Iridium, so I think I can get a sound I'm happier with there. Now I'm looking at Weber and Celestion Gold 10" speakers, though.
This is the Weber speaker I got for my AC10. It sounds 1000 times better now! The Celestion Greenback sounds great too but I prefer the Alnico Blue Sound... The Tung Soll Tubes make the Amp sound even better.. I like this little Amp as much as my AC15 with Celestion Alnico Blue..

I'm really curious about the Celestion Gold. I wasn't aware of one in a 10"?

Apologies for going off topic on this Thread...

LL

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:20 am

Larsongs wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:53 pm
peterherman wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:33 pm
Larsongs wrote:

This is the Weber speaker I got for my AC10. It sounds 1000 times better now! The Celestion Greenback sounds great too but I prefer the Alnico Blue Sound... The Tung Soll Tubes make the Amp sound even better.. I like this little Amp as much as my AC15 with Celestion Alnico Blue..

I'm really curious about the Celestion Gold. I wasn't aware of one in a 10"?

Apologies for going off topic on this Thread...

LL

Yeah, looking at the DT-10P now, which Weber says is made for the AC10.
Digging into the dimensions of things, I don't think that the Celestion Gold will fit in the AC10: too deep. It's over an inch deeper than the Weber.

I have a deep and abiding trust of Weber, having used their speakers from time to time since Ted was still alive. I used a California 12 in a Brown Vibrolux that could then shout down a 50W Marshall half-stack. It was amazing. I think I might have had 6550s or maybe even KT88s in there, too.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:28 pm

I wanted a Celestion Alnico Blue for my AC10, similar to my AC15, but they don't make them in 10" size. The depth was an issue which is why I went for the special design for AC-10 Weber DT-10P & the Celestion 10" Greenback.. Both are great Speakers for the AC-10 & fit perfect.. Also, it's an easy mod.. There are some YouTubes that are helpful if you decide to go for it... The JJ & or Tung Sol Tubes aren't expensive as there are only 4 Tubes in these Amps (another great feature) & are also a quick easy mod.. The Different Speakers & better Tubes make these into great Amps!

Like most new speakers they need some break in time but not much...

I love this little Amp with almost any Guitar. Particularly my AV65 Jag & AV65 JM....

LL

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:28 am

I gotta say if you guys want really great no-fuss tubes, find the pin- and electrically-compatible Russian military equivalent (6BQ1 for EL84 in the ACs). They're louder, have more headroom, and last a bit under twice as long, plus (on simple circuits, anyway) they just sound bigger -- kinda like the Supro vs. Fender midrange. They're a bit pricey, but for the amount of replacements you're cutting out on, you're still saving money in the long run.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:29 am

seenoevil II wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:19 pm
What you described did happen with tube amps for a long while, hence the progression from tweed to brown, black, silver etc. It's only in the long backward gaze of vintage gear fetishism that all have become equally valid flavors.
i love the evolution of fender amps from rough and raw tweed to cleaner, less midrange blackface. I've built a couple of tweeds and brownface amps and looking at the circuit evolution to blackface is fun. what is odd is seeing people seek out the ultra-linear high powered late silverface stuff. the prices on those is even nuts now.
seenoevil II wrote:
I get and also don't get vintage amps. In one hand, they are easy to service and repair and often cost about the same price as modern reissues. In the other, at a certain point, they're simply a compilation of parts that get replaced. So, what are you really buying, the chassis, the pine&tolex box?
agreed. i've had several vintage ampegs, even identical models. the component tolerances required by the schematics are huge: +/- 5%, or 20% in some places. that alone is a huge variant amp to amp all else identical to make them sound a bit different. I've recapped/tubed/cleaned vintage fenders with fresh modern components and they sound better than the old worn out stuff by miles.

it's very easy to build a fender amp clone. its the economical way for me to play every amp i've dreamed of owning for a fraction of the cost of buying vintage. (the hard part is finding a period correct chassis for a lot of those amps if you are trying to look like an original, so buying an original 1961 fender showman MAY be worth it.)

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:05 pm

hexes wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:29 am
seenoevil II wrote:
What you described did happen with tube amps for a long while, hence the progression from tweed to brown, black, silver etc. It's only in the long backward gaze of vintage gear fetishism that all have become equally valid flavors.
i love the evolution of fender amps from rough and raw tweed to cleaner, less midrange blackface. I've built a couple of tweeds and brownface amps and looking at the circuit evolution to blackface is fun. what is odd is seeing people seek out the ultra-linear high powered late silverface stuff. the prices on those is even nuts now.
seenoevil II wrote:
I get and also don't get vintage amps. In one hand, they are easy to service and repair and often cost about the same price as modern reissues. In the other, at a certain point, they're simply a compilation of parts that get replaced. So, what are you really buying, the chassis, the pine&tolex box?
agreed. i've had several vintage ampegs, even identical models. the component tolerances required by the schematics are huge: +/- 5%, or 20% in some places. that alone is a huge variant amp to amp all else identical to make them sound a bit different. I've recapped/tubed/cleaned vintage fenders with fresh modern components and they sound better than the old worn out stuff by miles.

it's very easy to build a fender amp clone. its the economical way for me to play every amp i've dreamed of owning for a fraction of the cost of buying vintage. (the hard part is finding a period correct chassis for a lot of those amps if you are trying to look like an original, so buying an original 1961 fender showman MAY be worth it.)
If I understand, you build clones of vintage Fender Amps that sound as good or better than a great vintage Fender Amp? Where do you get the correct spec Original Parts, Speakers, Tubes, Transformers, Circuit Boards etc?

I've played some really great vintage Fender Amps. A very wealthy friend of mine is a Collector. Non are For Sale.. Almost everyone is miles superior to any new Fender or to any new Boutique Amp I've played.. I've hundreds over the years... Maybe more.. I currently own a dozen higher end Fendets, Vox & Marshall varied size Reissue Amps small to XL... They're all xlnt sounding Amps but my friends vintage Amps sound better..

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:53 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:05 pm

If I understand, you build clones of vintage Fender Amps that sound as good or better than a great vintage Fender Amp? Where do you get the correct spec Original Parts, Speakers, Tubes, Transformers, Circuit Boards etc?

I've played some really great vintage Fender Amps. A very wealthy friend of mine is a Collector. Non are For Sale.. Almost everyone is miles superior to any new Fender or to any new Boutique Amp I've played.. I've hundreds over the years... Maybe more.. I currently own a dozen higher end Fendets, Vox & Marshall varied size Reissue Amps small to XL... They're all xlnt sounding Amps but my friends vintage Amps sound better..
I said that vintage amps with parts damaged or out of spec are significantly improved by replacing those failing parts. I have recapped and retubed several of my own fenders ampegs oranges and marshalls, and many others for friends.They always sound better when brought back up to spec, yes even with modern components. NOS components DO exist, however, and they're not hard to find (with the exception of the 4meg reverse audio taper pots found in the harmonic tremolo section of certain brownface fender amplifiers)

I build clones for myself because it's much cheaper to get a 100% handwired amp made with great components than buying a mass produced reissue. or it's drastically cheaper than finding an original one that costs upward of 4 grand and still winding up with a great sounding amp. PLUS I can modify as much as I want to without changing an original circuit. more important to me than fetishizing the correct circuit board material.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:14 pm

I misinterpreted what you said in your previous post.. I'd love to get to your skill level at some point...

There definitely are some really good modern built Amps..

The Vintage thing is it's own Quest....

Thanks,

LL

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:37 pm

Narrator: It did not make him quit tube amps.

Just re-tubed the AC 10 with Tung-Sol pre and JJ power tubes. Definite difference maker.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:10 pm

The irony of this thread title and its content is something I find highly amusing!

peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterherman » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:28 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:10 pm
The irony of this thread title and its content is something I find highly amusing!
Me too!

Also, it's a pretty good object lesson in the "honeymoon phase" of gear ownership.