Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb amp.

Make it loud here.
wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb amp.

Post by wooderson » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:03 pm

I've been thinking of trading some stuff in for a TM Super Reverb, primarily for Wurlitzer and perhaps a Rhodes at some point in the near future.

The Twin and Deluxe didn't work for me with guitar but I chalked that up to the neo-whatever speakers (and style - the only Deluxe Reverb I kind of liked had a Greenback), the 4x10 Alnico Super Reverb seems interesting from that angle.

Bango_Rilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bango_Rilla » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:30 pm

Tangentially related to a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb, I picked up a Tonemaster Princeton - from a Tonemaster perspective, it's the same setup and ease of use as the Deluxe (which I already have). The only problem so far is that the amp is so light that it started walking around the stage as a result of the bass, which I never would have even thought of. I've already got a plan to address that without weighting down the amp (which defeats the purpose of having a lighter amp).
Lover of offsets (and bananas!)

https://thegogorillas.com
https://instagram.com/thegogorillas

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:04 pm

Bango_Rilla wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:30 pm
Tangentially related to a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb, I picked up a Tonemaster Princeton - from a Tonemaster perspective, it's the same setup and ease of use as the Deluxe (which I already have). The only problem so far is that the amp is so light that it started walking around the stage as a result of the bass, which I never would have even thought of. I've already got a plan to address that without weighting down the amp (which defeats the purpose of having a lighter amp).
I bet any decent venue would have a sandbag you could borrow to plunk on top.

If you're doing restaurant gigs and the like, maybe that's not a solution. But anywhere with a stage should have sandbags.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:59 am

I'm curious about how different the different models of these are on the inside. I remember hearing (and it might not be totally true) that all the digital EHX pedals are more or less the same hardware or guts, but with different amendments and additions that allow them to do all the things they do.

Seems it would be a very profitable way to make amps, if you had basically the same hardware and manufacturing processes, but with different softwares or additions to differentiate them.

I suppose if that were the case, it would only be a matter of time before someone worked out how to flash or hack them......
a total idiot jackass

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:15 am

An older gentleman was inspecting my amp this weekend. He asked me the year and told me about his old SF one. He then started looking for the tubes…

I told him to heft it after. I think Fender may have another sale incoming.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:40 am

sessylU wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:59 am
I'm curious about how different the different models of these are on the inside. I remember hearing (and it might not be totally true) that all the digital EHX pedals are more or less the same hardware or guts, but with different amendments and additions that allow them to do all the things they do.

Seems it would be a very profitable way to make amps, if you had basically the same hardware and manufacturing processes, but with different softwares or additions to differentiate them.

I suppose if that were the case, it would only be a matter of time before someone worked out how to flash or hack them......
I wouldn't be surprised, since the amps they're emulating largely did the exact same thing!

Many, many Fender tube amps of the 1960s used the same circuit and essentially the same eyelet board, just with different output tube complements, power supply details, (and in some cases a midrange control added or deleted).

Black panel Deluxe-amp, Deluxe Reverb, Bandmaster, Showman, Pro-amp, Pro Reverb, Twin Reverb, Super Reverb, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and Tremolux all used essentially the same board!

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:31 am

shoule79 wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:15 am
An older gentleman was inspecting my amp this weekend. He asked me the year and told me about his old SF one. He then started looking for the tubes…

I told him to heft it after. I think Fender may have another sale incoming.
After gigging with it a few times, I couldn't be happier. In addition to the weight, I've found the output power to be be one of the nicer features. I did a small club over the weekend on the 1w setting and it was plenty loud but retained all the drive I get when it's on full (I play with an especially heavy handed drummer).

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:18 pm

Been meaning to try out one of these next time I pop into my local shop, but from all I've seen online these things are . The idea of having a light twin reverb seems almost too good to be true. Probably going to wait a while for prices to come down before I seriously consider one though.

Bango_Rilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bango_Rilla » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:48 pm

One of the key things (besides size, weight, and ease of use) that I was interested in for the Princeton was a speaker swap - with the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb I was a little more wary sticking a 75w speaker in, was worried about blowing it - even though the risk was low. (I still have the TMDR)

The Tonemaster Princeton Reverb (to be TMPR from here on out) came with a Jensen C10R - which.....uh....is the same speaker that came in my PRRI.... Exactly the same speaker...so....yeah.

Anyway, I love Jupiter speakers so I swapped the Jupiter out of my PRRI and put it into my TMPR.

Sounds great! Gigged and sounds fantastic other than it bouncing around the stage.

I do have a plan that doesn't involve sandbags, I'm just adding some rubber feet on the bottom that match some reinforced wood on the crate that I usually use, which will give it more purchase over those slick metal stock feet.

GO APE!

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:01 am

I've been wanting to put a 15 inch into my Twin Reverb Tone Master but wasn't sure how a tone Master would handle a speaker swap.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:54 am

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:23 am
I ended up returning mine, difficult to put my finger on it, but just not what I was after. The reverb and tremolo are both sensational as I said previous, plenty loud too. It’ll be the wiring in my flat, but it was noisier than my already a wee bit noisy tube amp. Ill try the Twin version at some point, defo needing another amp soon.
Got a Twin for a pretty good price earlier today, should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to giving it a bash. I’ll have to look up the updates available, when I was looking into the TM Deluxe the upgrades seemed to be getting good reviews, that the same with the twin?

Bango_Rilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bango_Rilla » Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:58 am

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:01 am
I've been wanting to put a 15 inch into my Twin Reverb Tone Master but wasn't sure how a tone Master would handle a speaker swap.
It handles them fine but it doesn't sound exactly the way you think it will because of the tone shaping that's going on in the programming.
That may depend on the speaker though.

I have known folk who put an underpowered speaker into Quilters and cooked them, so there's the similar risk on the Tonemaster series - it's still just a digital/solid state output.

galaxy08
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by galaxy08 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:37 pm

I'm planning to sell/trade my 68 Princeton Reverb for this amp. The Princeton is a nice sound that's unto itself, but I love the 12" speaker and clear cleans in the Tone Master. Been struggling to get those from the Princeton. Also, my old house seems to make tube amps extra noisy, so I find I've been playing my Vox Pathfinder 15R lots more.