Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb amp.

Make it loud here.
hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb amp.

Post by hexes » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:22 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:20 pm
I’ve had a few experiences with these so far…

…Since then, I’ve had a few backlined for me when I spec’d a DRRI, and this is the downside, to me—since they’re still badged as a Deluxe Reverb, it creates some confusion (or really, the opportunity for promoters to feign ignorance and save ten bucks from SIR).

In actual performance use, I was very slightly less-enamored than I was just demoing one alone. I’d be hard-pressed to articulate exactly why… it just doesn’t seem like the amp responds dynamically in exactly the same way as what I’m accustomed to.

Ever tried to play a classic NES game on the Nintendo Switch, using the Switch controller’s D-pad, and it just feels a little… different? I was kind of reminded of that sensation

Not a drastic difference, and definitely usable. It should also be said that this opinion is based on literally three shows with them (I’m sure I’ll involuntarily gain a larger sample size in due time!)

I’ve played shows on far worse! Still maybe not my ideal solution, and the confusing model name is a bummer. Many promoters/managers/etc will probably have no idea that there’s even a difference. Probably wise to add explicit “no tone master” language to the rider (for now)
the three backline companies I advance shows with won’t send one out unless very specifically asked for by me personally. two of them don’t even own one and would subrent until demand catches up if necessary.

I’d be surprised to see a band ask for one of these and get mad they got a real deluxe reverb instead. I can certainly see a guitarist being a little pissed if it were the other way around.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:34 pm

hexes wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:22 pm
øøøøøøø wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:20 pm
I’ve had a few experiences with these so far…

…Since then, I’ve had a few backlined for me when I spec’d a DRRI, and this is the downside, to me—since they’re still badged as a Deluxe Reverb, it creates some confusion (or really, the opportunity for promoters to feign ignorance and save ten bucks from SIR).

In actual performance use, I was very slightly less-enamored than I was just demoing one alone. I’d be hard-pressed to articulate exactly why… it just doesn’t seem like the amp responds dynamically in exactly the same way as what I’m accustomed to.

Ever tried to play a classic NES game on the Nintendo Switch, using the Switch controller’s D-pad, and it just feels a little… different? I was kind of reminded of that sensation

Not a drastic difference, and definitely usable. It should also be said that this opinion is based on literally three shows with them (I’m sure I’ll involuntarily gain a larger sample size in due time!)

I’ve played shows on far worse! Still maybe not my ideal solution, and the confusing model name is a bummer. Many promoters/managers/etc will probably have no idea that there’s even a difference. Probably wise to add explicit “no tone master” language to the rider (for now)
the three backline companies I advance shows with won’t send one out unless very specifically asked for by me personally. two of them don’t even own one and would subrent until demand catches up if necessary.

I’d be surprised to see a band ask for one of these and get mad they got a real deluxe reverb instead. I can certainly see a guitarist being a little pissed if it were the other way around.
It definitely happened to me in NYC and Washington DC last fall. It feels like once more, but I can't remember the third.

The one in DC might have been the house amp at the (medium-sized) venue (can disclose via PM if interested). The one in NYC was definitely a rental.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:29 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:34 pm
It definitely happened to me in NYC and Washington DC last fall. It feels like once more, but I can't remember the third.

The one in DC might have been the house amp at the (medium-sized) venue (can disclose via PM if interested). The one in NYC was definitely a rental.
oh I totally believe it! I only meant I make sure that we don’t get that happening in my venues. Since I approve spending for all rental gear, I scrutinize it heavily.

Backline is always a gamble and I want to make sure our musicians have what they need. $10 saved on the wrong amp rental can make for a very frustrating day (and more money trucking the right amp out before showtime, if we’re lucky)

I am familiar with my production managers in NYC using whatever SIR had to stay under budget. I promised myself not to let that happen again after leaving.

that said, i want to like these amps. that thing about the switch D-pad being off resonates SO much. These to me just… have this odd slow attack quality and unnatural decay. i feel the same about quilter amps. a lot of people get great sounds, but I need to double blind test myself. I want to be proven wrong, but so far no luck.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:23 pm

Yeah! I mean all things considered they’re very good.

If someone was like “can you use a tone master to help us stay under budget” I’d easily agree. If I can’t play a good show on one of those, the fault doesn’t lie with the amp.

Still, nobody likes surprises, and that’s where I sort of wish it were a bit less easy for someone to conflate the two and spec them interchangeably

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:04 pm

I have the Tone Master Twin Reverb Blonde edition. I really like it. It's just a good travel amp when I don't want to bring the big/expensive amps. I really wish it had an FX loop or a speaker cab out. But I imagine that the digital technology is designed for these amps and these speakers. I hope they make a Tone Master Princeton and or a Tone Master Showman head. I may pick up a Tone Master Deluxe though.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:54 pm

How is everyone feeling about their Tone Masters a couple years down the road?

At my current regular gig there isn’t a ton of room, and Ive been using my PR un-mic’d. i have an issue, it sounds good in the room, but monitoring can be a pain with bass, drums, another guitar, and keyboard. Basically I can’t hear myself unless I turn up, and if I do it drowns out everything else. Limited space and only one monitor, which is for the drummer.

My thought is to get a Deluxe, aim it at my head to monitor, and use the XLR out to go through the PA.

I tried a black one out a couple years ago and wasn’t impressed. I just tried a blond one a couple weeks ago and found it much better. Reverb and trem were great, overall tone was like a good sounding reissue. Not a great sounding one, but one with a middle of the road tone. With pedals I think it will be fine.

Anyway I just wanted to see how people feel about them after the honeymoon periods worn off. Im not looking for something to be the end all, just something that sounds good to play in front of an audience. The weight is attractive too. The aftermarket 100w Eminence speaker in my PR weighs a ton, and my AC15 and Mesa are worse. Not having a sore back after loading on is another plus in my book.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:38 am

I’m also considering one of these at the minute, might go and try one somewhere today so I’m interested to hear how people feel about them after some time. Alternatively, I’ve also read some good things about the Quilter Aviator Cub too, anyone tried one of them? I’ve got a mk2 HRD currently that I really still love to be fair, but the maintaining of it has became a wee bit of a drag when it comes to recording, etc.

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:41 am

shoule79 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:54 pm

At my current regular gig there isn’t a ton of room, and Ive been using my PR un-mic’d. i have an issue, it sounds good in the room, but monitoring can be a pain with bass, drums, another guitar, and keyboard. Basically I can’t hear myself unless I turn up, and if I do it drowns out everything else. Limited space and only one monitor, which is for the drummer.

My thought is to get a Deluxe, aim it at my head to monitor, and use the XLR out to go through the PA.

I tried a black one out a couple years ago and wasn’t impressed. I just tried a blond one a couple weeks ago and found it much better. Reverb and trem were great, overall tone was like a good sounding reissue. Not a great sounding one, but one with a middle of the road tone. With pedals I think it will be fine.

Anyway I just wanted to see how people feel about them after the honeymoon periods worn off. Im not looking for something to be the end all, just something that sounds good to play in front of an audience. The weight is attractive too. The aftermarket 100w Eminence speaker in my PR weighs a ton, and my AC15 and Mesa are worse. Not having a sore back after loading on is another plus in my book.

I've had the blonde Deluxe for almost 2 years now, still very happy with it.

I haven't played it out live so can't speak exactly for how you are wanting to use it, but I still very much enjoy the tone of it and its a great pedal platform. Hasn't had any issues apart from it did develop a weird buzz when playing certain low notes, but after tightening up all the screws that went away, so I guess something had just come slightly lose.
The DI has been great for quick and easy recording too.

I'd recommend the blonde one, for whatever thats worth. Never played the black one.

alfal013
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alfal013 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:07 pm

shoule79 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:54 pm
I have been pretty happy with mine. In fact, I have both the black and blonde versions. The Celestion speaker in the blonde version does sound quite a bit better than the Jensen in the black version, IMO. I swapped the speaker in the black one for an Eminence Cannabis Rex. They are plenty loud. I've done most of my gigging on the 5 watt setting. That seems to be loud enough for most applications. I haven't even used the 22 watt setting, to be honest. I feel like this is better than the Quilter amps I've owned/borrowed in the past.
"I'm sort of a beer joint player." - Merle Haggard

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:09 pm

Ah, aye think I’m going to give the black one I go. 30 day returns so no risk really. Is the consensus that it’s better with or without the firmware update?

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:19 am

I think i've decided on the blonde. I'm going to go to a shop where I know all the guys to shoot them out, and try them with some dirt pedals this week. They may let me take it out for a weekend to demo it, which would be ideal.

The down side is that my only playing out next week is filling in on bass for someone, so a real report will be a couple weeks out.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:41 pm

Tried out a black one... didn't like it. The store I went to sold their blonde one last week. The guy I know who works there said I could take it home for a week to try it with my rig. Going to try to find another blonde before I make up my mind on what I want to do.

On the flip side, I couldn't quite settle on a sound I liked out of the DR, but the Twin...oh my did it sound good. Its physically too big for my needs, but it sounded great. Its not what I need but I almost walked out with it. I don't know if its the 3 band eq or the 2 speakers, but it was more alive and easy to dial in.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:47 pm

I got the black one earlier today, only played through it for around an hour but I really like it so far. The reverb and vibrato sound great, in my opinion.

The fact there’s firmware updates for these amps is frying my heid a wee bit haha. I’m totally lost as to how it all works, but I still feel nervy when I’m opening up pedals for hidden buttons and that, so hopefully I can climb the mountain and see what the updates sound like.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:39 pm

So, I tried about a half dozen different TM Deluxes over the past week. I was out with my wife Thursday and tried out a black one… and it sounded really good. That led to hitting a few more stores and A/Bing black and blond ones. I went back and tried the first black one again, and it still sounded way worse than the others. Really muddy and had some buzz.

I ended up buying a black TMDR today. It won out over the blonde. I’ve actually been playing it straight in with my tele and no pedals all day, something I only do that with my PR, and previously only did with my 60’s twin. Good sign. My wife came with me and I tried one of the twins again. She preferred it too, and told me to get it, but I prefer the Deluxe as a grab and go.

First gig will be next week, so that will be the real test.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:06 pm

FWIW, I still have my blonde TM Twin Reverb that I bought back in September 2020 for $950 + $50 shipping. However, over time, I wasn't vibing with the Celestion Neo Creamback speakers. I've always been happy with Jensen speakers, so I hunted down some new Jensen N-12K speakers (the stock ones in the black TM Twin Reverb). They gave me that Fender tone I was missing.

Aesthetically, I much prefer the blonde over the black Tone Master. Now with the Jensen N-12K speakers, my blonde TM TR is a keeper. It's my bring out to play amp. 8)

I've no problem with Celestion speakers in general - the 12" Celestion 90W Alnico Cream 8ohm in my Milkman 1x12 cab and a Celestion G12M Greenback in my Vox AC15C1-TV Blue Cream Limited Edition sound great. I'll eventually find a place for the Celestion Neo Creamback speakers.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...