Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb amp.

Make it loud here.
badform
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb amp.

Post by badform » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:41 am

stilwel wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:41 am
Footswitch Two-button Tone Master (Part Number 7716005000)
Excellent! Thanks!!

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:30 pm

i tried the twin reverb one lately. it's 90% of the way to that classic twin sound.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

burgrluv
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by burgrluv » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:39 am

Jestapali wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:24 am
Nevets wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:48 am
These amps sound fantastic but I have to wonder. How well are they going to hold their value? Especially when Fender inevitably releases the Tonemaster V2?
I would think that due to the firmware updates being already available, V2's will have to wait a long time if they want to bring relevant changes.
By the way, to the owners, have you done any updates (bright cap, reverb, speaker ...)? how do you like them?
Tried the bright cap snip/reverb tamer update, ended up going back to original at some point but to be honest the different in tone was pretty darn subtle, maybe the equivalent of turning the treble down by 1/1.5, pretty useful mod if you treble's always hanging around 2-3. Reverb mod would be useful for anyone trying to calibrate more moderate verb levels.

I could definitely see myself doing the bright cap update again once I get a new speaker in there (got a c12q on the way, heard it's supposed to be fantastic in the TMDR).

What I'd really love to see is fender take the USB updates even further and give us slight variations in DRs. Got some overly bright single coils? Here's an update modelled after 1963 Deluxe Reverb with a grainy top end and a more pronounced midrange. Want the crystalline highs of 1969 silverface? Here's the update for that. A '64 Deluxe non-reverb for the normal channel? Update.

If you REALLY wanted to get freaky with it, imagine an algorithm designed to randomize the values of each "cap" (in a virtual sense, obviously) with a tolerance variation of 15%, giving you a completely unique and random DR each time you pushed a button.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:40 am

burgrluv wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:39 am
Jestapali wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:24 am
Nevets wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:48 am
These amps sound fantastic but I have to wonder. How well are they going to hold their value? Especially when Fender inevitably releases the Tonemaster V2?
I would think that due to the firmware updates being already available, V2's will have to wait a long time if they want to bring relevant changes.
By the way, to the owners, have you done any updates (bright cap, reverb, speaker ...)? how do you like them?

If you REALLY wanted to get freaky with it, imagine an algorithm designed to randomize the values of each "cap" (in a virtual sense, obviously) with a tolerance variation of 15%, giving you a completely unique and random DR each time you pushed a button.
Damn, what a fun idea.

I'm a cork sniffer when it comes to amps. But I keep watching videos of the Blonde Twin Reverb and really thinking about it. The tubes in my Studio Bass amp (converted to a head) and Super Reverb are going out and I'm like ... man ... not feeling driving 30 mins to my busy-ass amp tech. I know these modeling amps won't ever be 100 percent tube identical; but they sound good and are pretty convenient.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:48 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:30 pm
i tried the twin reverb one lately. it's 90% of the way to that classic twin sound.
Perfect review - and exactly why I’d want one and also not want one.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:44 am

every time I carry my Hot Rod Deluxe up and down the stairs to my house I think of this thread and get closer and closer to picking one of these up.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:05 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:44 am
every time I carry my Hot Rod Deluxe up and down the stairs to my house I think of this thread and get closer and closer to picking one of these up.
it's why we leave our amps in the practice space. because i live up 3 flights of stairs and moving a 70's twin is a 3 person job. let alone everything else.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:10 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:05 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
it's why we leave our amps in the practice space. because i live up 3 flights of stairs and moving a 70's twin is a 3 person job. let alone everything else.
For sure. I had one of the SF Twins with the orange JBLs about 10 years ago. Utter insanity. The rehearsal spot we use is not the sort of place you can leave stuff really unless you rent one of the secure cages. in my last band we had an 8x10 each for guitar and bass so it was worth renting.

I'm just getting old and lazy, for the most part, and my back is screwed 95% of the time thanks to my work.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:36 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:10 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:05 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
For sure. I had one of the SF Twins with the orange JBLs about 10 years ago. Utter insanity. The rehearsal spot we use is not the sort of place you can leave stuff really unless you rent one of the secure cages. in my last band we had an 8x10 each for guitar and bass so it was worth renting.

I'm just getting old and lazy, for the most part, and my back is screwed 95% of the time thanks to my work.
we got a locker in our space, but even still. it's getting the amps down. it's 5ft up and you can get em up and down but it's not easy. tbh we've already filled it. because i stay around the corner and my bandmate stays like 20 miles away and don't have a car, they get priority on what's left in there.

there's still a bit of space for 2 more guitars. but it beats trying to carry all that into the flat.

edit. that photo was taken by my bandmate who's only 5ft2.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:20 pm

I’ve had a few experiences with these so far.

The first time I heard one was when Fender sent one to a friend’s house for him to try out. I was quite impressed! It sounded pretty much like a Deluxe Reverb.

Things have really come a long way—these are not a joke, by any means. It sounds like a real amp, pretty much

Since then, I’ve had a few backlined for me when I spec’d a DRRI, and this is the downside, to me—since they’re still badged as a Deluxe Reverb, it creates some confusion (or really, the opportunity for promoters to feign ignorance and save ten bucks from SIR).

In actual performance use, I was very slightly less-enamored than I was just demoing one alone. I’d be hard-pressed to articulate exactly why… it just doesn’t seem like the amp responds dynamically in exactly the same way as what I’m accustomed to.

Ever tried to play a classic NES game on the Nintendo Switch, using the Switch controller’s D-pad, and it just feels a little… different? I was kind of reminded of that sensation

Not a drastic difference, and definitely usable. It should also be said that this opinion is based on literally three shows with them (I’m sure I’ll involuntarily gain a larger sample size in due time!)

I’ve played shows on far worse! Still maybe not my ideal solution, and the confusing model name is a bummer. Many promoters/managers/etc will probably have no idea that there’s even a difference. Probably wise to add explicit “no tone master” language to the rider (for now)

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:59 pm

I hear you… They seem to sound pretty good at lower volumes.. But, when you crank them up they lose it for me.. They start getting that brittle, harsh sound.. Not the worst I’ve heard but still a ways away from the sweet Tube sound I’m used to….

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:03 am

if i'm not mistaken, they have a solid state power output. my experience with hybrid amps (tube pre/solid state power) is they tend to sound more brittle when pushed harder. it's a sound to be sure but not for me.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:01 am

there are no tubes anywhere in it; it's a modeling amp

Jestapali
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jestapali » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:02 am

A couple of months ago I bought a Deluxe Tonemaster Blonde and have been quite happy with it. For home use is a no brainer, with the super useful output power selector with 5 different levels, and possibilities for silent recording. But honestly, I would not have bought it just for apartment use since my Vox Pathfinder has been more than enough for that.

I had been using my Vox AC30 for gigs, and in occasion my Blues Jr (Jensen version) for more informal things. In all honesty, I cannot see them leaving the house again any time soon. The AC 30's weight is well known, and I rarely have been able to take full advantage of its power. The Tonemaster is so easy to move around and it has plenty of power for any club gig with a decent PA. I actually have not been able to use it at the full 22 Watt power yet.
The Blues Jr is now just sadly forgotten, which is a little bit of a shame because I have one of those FSR sunburst ash which looks amazing , but it makes no sense, next to the tonemaster, really. With all its tubes and all.

I have heard some comments about harshness, and maybe I recall some of it during the first days while the speaker was breaking up. Also, mine does not have the bright cap and that possibly gets rid of any harshness when using overdriven tones. Maybe the Celestion helps a little too, being more mids oriented than the Jensen.

Anyway, it sounds like a great sounding amp, independently of the tube/not tube thing. That there are Deluxe reverbs that sound or feel better, I'm sure. That there are some that sound or feel worse, I'm also sure.

Give a try. Don't be shy.

Backdrop
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Backdrop » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:34 am

Bought a TMDR a couple months ago too. Loving it. It's my first guitar amp so I have nothing to really compare it to. Been playing bass for the last 30 years.
For home use it's been great so far. Done some recording with it. Mostly just playing at low volume or with headphones right now.
Haven't been able to really crank it yet. Hoping to use it in a possible new project coming up.