hmm.. I just got another free cab

Make it loud here.
daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

hmm.. I just got another free cab

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:22 am

what the hell is going on here?!  am I not aware that people just throw cabs away.. should I shun them?  am I fool for taking them in?  ???

so I'm now the owner of another empty 4x12 cab, this time there's no question what it is.. a 1967 Marshall!

ok it's a obviously a Peavey, I'd guess somewhere from the 80's-90's it looks like it's MDF but seems pretty solid and the cab is very deep almost like a Bass cab. I looked through ebay and google but can't find another one like it. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about Peavey cabs and if they're worth loading, if so I might re grill it with Vox style cloth and use it next year when I hope to get a Hayseed 30 head

UPDATE:

I just finished this up tonight.. built the frame this past week and ordered the cloth and rubber feet which came in this afternoon. I rushed it a bit (i'm so damn impatient ::) ) so the lines don't run perfectly straight throughout but overall I'm happy with the result.. I think it looks pretty good, especially for my first time

before..

and after..

Last edited by daydreamdelay on Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: hmm.. I just got another free cab

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:29 am

What are you, some kind of cab magnet?

:)

It doesn't look quite as nice a cab as your other one. I've heard good things about Hayseed and that cab would definitely work with Vox grill cloth .. but isn't that quite hard to come by?
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:09 am

I guess so.. I suppose it's better to attract stray empty cabs than stray empty women

or not

I got it from the neighbor who gave me the other one and he said this one actually sounds better to his ears because of the partition in the middle.. he also liked it better because the other one is beat up but I prefer it beat up as I'm a little weird that way. you've ruined my day telling me the vox cloth is hard to come by  :(

mVI
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mVI » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:12 am

I love that cab... There is nothing better for a Bass VI. I guess the closed back and the partition really do help this out. Ive played guitars through it and it is nice but it shines with the VI. Great score. Free is good :)

-Mike

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:28 am

hmm.. I plan to build a USACG Bass VI  ???

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:46 am

daydreamdelay wrote: you've ruined my day telling me the vox cloth is hard to come by
Sorry .. I think Vox don't sell it separately or allow others to sell it, to try and keep the forgeries down. For example, Hayseed doesn't offer Vox diamond grille cloth, they're not allowed - I presume under threat of legal action by Vox, or maybe they just can't buy it. Whether Hayseed will put on grille cloth that you supply them is a different question.

Having said that, every time I search "Vox" on ebay I turn up a couple of auctions for grille cloth. So "hard to come by" is a relative term ..

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:54 am

hmm all of the Hayseeds I've seen have it.. I've heard he's been talked to by Vox though so we'll see. hopefully I can get ahold of it somehow

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:09 pm

Heh, I've just done a quick ebay search and found a guy selling black and brown Vox grille cloth, just down the road from my house.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:51 pm

not so hard to find eh?!  ;D

Stereordinary
Expat
Expat

Post by Stereordinary » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:07 pm

Waitaminnit, you mean a 4x12" cab is the best cab for a VI?  Or specifically Justin's new Peavey cab?  And if a 4x12" cab really is the best cab for a VI, I should probably keep my Marchall 1960B huh?
Rhoney Guitars, 2010-2017.

mVI
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mVI » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:12 pm

Its just my opinion but I think that particular peavy cab sounds awesome with a Bass VI Its something about the larger size of the box.

-Mike

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:19 am

just looked on ebay.. $95 a yard!?!?!  :o

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:03 am

Get it direct from Northcoast - they are a Vox certified dealer, and sell licensed cabs and parts:

http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/v ... cloth.html

$35 a yard for an ac30-sized piece.

-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:58 pm

that's fairly expensive as well for the bigger size.. i'm thinking about just going with Fender style cloth and using this with the Bassman since it'll be cheaper, this cab needs far less work than the slant, I prefer straight cabs, and it'll be at least a year until I can afford the Hayseed anyway.

I removed the horrible ball casters that only worked going in a diagonal direction ::)  and pulled the silver peavey handles, roughed up the clear acrylic covering the name with some sandpaper, and spray painted it black to match the rest of the handles housing. it should look pretty good when all is said and done  8)
Last edited by daydreamdelay on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:04 pm

bump for update