O h man, I really like this.. (a Reeves)

Make it loud here.
sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Re: O h man, I really like this.. (a Reeves)

Post by sookwinder » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:36 am

Just found out today via email that the reeves 6 has finsihed being manufactured  (there were non in stock so Bill said it was "made" over the past 2 weeks)  and has been shipped today.  Should take about a week to get here....
daydreamdelay wrote: what could one do with six Reeves watts?
well  ...  the reasons I am getting it are ....  looks cute, is a different sounding amp to my fenders and nano, it is quiet enough to use as a practice amp  but also loud enough to record with.  I have often found that when rcording with large amps, the microphones don't handle the extreme dBs when you are pushing the amps to get the sound you want .... an amp like this can be pushed but still enable a decent microphone to capture the real sound...
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:24 pm

The amp arrived today (saturday... aussie post is working because of xmas)

It looks great, sounds great.... very quiet on the noise front,  nice mid sounds as well.... turning it up full there is a slight to minimal  distortion but essentially very little - nothing dirty or TOTALLY overloaded, especially when compared to the nanoamp.  But what there is is a great "crunch" sound when it is turned up high and play those power chords ...somewhat very reminiscent of the British sound.  Something I just have not had with my 4 fender amps.

The controls are very simple , but haven't had a chance to play with all combinations of the bass/mids/treble (as they are all interactive and affect each other when one is changed) but am very pleased with this amp.  And for a 6 watt amp, it gets pretty loud.

Only down side (minor) was there was no power cable when it arrived... so I grabbed one from an old PC

can't wait until my guitarist and I record next wednesday  :)

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:31 pm

sookwinder wrote:   But what there is is a great "crunch" sound when it is turned up high and play those power chords ...somewhat very reminiscent of the British sound.  Something I just have not had with my 4 fender amps.
I really like the idea of that! Also, tone controls that are effective would be really nice for a change  ::)  What kind of cab/speakers are you using it through?

Justin.
This isn’t some kind of metaphor
Goddamn this is real

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:44 pm

I have used my  2 x  10" WeberVST Alnico Blue Pup  tweed covered box ( 16ohm  ).  This is the same one I use when I am playing into the nanoamp and so it is a great comparison.

I have played the reeves 6 a bit more in the last 10 mintes and there is a great bass response ... string attacking, punchy.  The more I play this amp the more I hear and the happy I get  :) :) :)

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:50 pm

Now you're making me want one even more! If there is a nice bass response with two 10s, I bet some 12s or 15s would be really great. Normally I would think that it might not have enough wattage to really turn out some clean(er) lows, but from what you described, it sounds like that won't be a problem.

Justin
Goddamn this is real

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:59 pm

just for a joke, I have just plugged in my bass VI and played a couple of riffs and I am staggered.  clean strong bass vi sounds and it was that damn loud, items were vibrtating on my shelves not to mention the pictures on the wall  ... I had to turn down.  what can't this amp do  :D

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:52 pm

today we recorded with the REEVES 6.  This leaves for dead any VOX you may have heard or owned yourself.

It is hard to explain, but the sound and timbre of the notes make you feel as if you are standing next to the guitarist/amp when the music is being played.

Way beyond my expectations or dreams for this amp.

rabidhamster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rabidhamster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:45 am

if you want to see what it sounds like in hi-gain, just slap it in the front end with a nice clean boost pedal.  I've just come to the realization recently that low powered amps + boost pedal = the sex. 

Congrats on a great amp, and thanks a lot for making me want one so bad!!  >:(  :D

enormous
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by enormous » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:51 am

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but do you have any clips?

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:44 am

I am actually plugged into my reeves right now (trying to compose a melody line)  mind you as it's 3.30am must get some ZZZZZ

no I don't have anything I can put up right now, as the tracks we recorded were basically "scratch" takes rather than final versions  (effectively to allow me to have a skeletal framework to lay down some hammond).  But when we get back to that track and complete it, I'll put something up

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:20 pm

5 months later and I have still been thinking about these amps. At some point, I am definitely getting one... I think  :D

Justin
Goddamn this is real

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:27 pm

sookwinder, did you end up having to pay any import duties? Is it loud enough to gig with?
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:59 am

FireAarro  the Reeves 6 cost me (including shipping to australia) US$759, which at the exchange rate at the time = approx AU$1050, which would mean I would have to pay import duty because it was over the AU$1000 limit.

I asked Bill at Reeves whether he could state on the paperwork that the total cost was US$700, which would be just under the AU$1000 limit, which he did.  I also paid me in two lots via paypal, the first being US$700 and the second US$59

The amp arrived on my doorstep via normal post  and no import duties were required.

Given the Aussie $$$ is worth even more now, you really shouldn't have any problems.

Damn good amp, quiet, colourful... I use it each evening when I plug in.

mewithoutus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mewithoutus » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:19 am

how loud are we talking? loud and clean enough for gigging?

reeves 6 + marshall 1965b 4x10 =  :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :k :'( :? :? :? :? :? :k :k :k :k :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :o :o :o :o :k :? :? :? :o 8)
=--->christopher

myspace.com/foxestheband

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:46 am

gigging ??? well the reeves custom 6 only has  a single 12AX7 and single EL84 tube.  So it's some where between 6 - 8 watts, so I would not think it was suitable for a medium or large gig.  the custom 12 has 2 EL84 tubes .

But I have to say the reeves 6 is loud ... maybe ok for a small venue assuming your drummer isn't cozy powell. 

me ?  I don't gig and I bought it for recording purposes so I don't think about how it would sound at a venue...  but if I did, maybe I'd go for the reeves custom 12, just to give you that bit of head room.

I run my reeves 6 through a 2 x 10" WeberVST Alnico Blue Pup cab.
the variable 4, 8, 16 ohm input is great feature