Silverface Twin Reverb vs. 65 RI

Make it loud here.
mjet
Expat
Expat

Re: Silverface Twin Reverb vs. 65 RI

Post by mjet » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:57 am

eggwheat wrote: I use to have two super six's in stereo..great sound and looked really cool running 12 ten inch speakers!
That's criminal.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Felix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Felix » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:16 am

I owned a SF Twin Reverb (was a 74 or 75) and the amp was nice. I don't know how it stacks up against the original blackface tone, but I don't worry about it. If you like the sound, then who cares if it is the original or not. I bought mine for $500, and it only required a few filter caps and a set of power tubes. The only unfortunate thing about the latter is that it is expensive when you retube a Twin with quality power tubes.
I wouldn't discount the reissue either. I nearly purchased one a few months ago when I was looking for a second amp, and I would have if not for a great deal I found on a vibroverb. The reissue sounded really deep to my ears, and it worked well with just about any guitar I put through it. I didn't demo a lot of guitars with the SF, which was my JM and my tele at the time, but it did work well with them.

I'd say grab a SF and be prepared to spend some initial maintenance money, if necessary of course, on bringing the amp back up to spec. Otherwise, buy the reissue and play it as is.
"That's just Dorian"
- Dr. Cox

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

I may have found the one!!  I just saw it on Craigslist, and it's only 20 miles away!  I called him today.

It's a 73, with no master volume.  He says it's clean, and complete.  The guy wants a little more than I want to spend, but it's just been serviced and is still at the shop.  Seems like a good guy, too.  He replaced the grill cloth 2 years ago, so hopefully it's pretty...  I'm going to look at it on Wednesday.  Wish me luck!   8)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:26 pm

good luck!

if it's just been serviced, then it's worth paying a bit extra :)
Resident Spartan.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:27 pm

zhivago wrote: good luck!

if it's just been serviced, then it's worth paying a bit extra :)
I hope I'm not getting hosed....They seem to be about the same on the 'Bay.
He's asking 900, I'm going to offer 800 I think, but we'll see.  I'm pretty nervous :-[
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:29 pm

hopefully it'll all go well...if you get a bad feeling walk away from it though...there are loads around :)
Resident Spartan.