Late 70s Fender Pro Reverbs - what are they like?

Make it loud here.
Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Late 70s Fender Pro Reverbs - what are they like?

Post by Superfuzz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:14 am

nealescott wrote: i REALLY want a pro reverb, i mean REALLY!!   :(

i have been playing a great hotrod deluxe recently, and i'm getting hooked on that fender sound,
i think the pro is kinda similar spec to the deluxe, (apart from the modern channel switching gubbins)

40 watts, 2x12 inch speakers, 6L6 power, huge reverb, hmm, the only other amp i really want is one of these....

the hot rod deluxe is 1X12,
BTW I don't know, how a silverface sounds compared with a blackface but my hotrod doesn't sound as full as the blackface twin I used to play in the rearshall..less bass and less round sound..not bad anyway I'm going to stay with it for several years..
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:31 am

I'm pretty sure the HRDLX came as 2x12 as well....

I also saw a 4x10 version too that was rated at 60 watts.....
Resident Spartan.

Ahahah
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ahahah » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:39 am

zhivago wrote: I'm pretty sure the HRDLX came as 2x12 as well....

The HR DeVille is declined in both 212 and 410 configurations. Both are 60 W.
The HRDLX is only 112 and is rated @ 40 W.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:49 am

Ahahah wrote:
zhivago wrote: I'm pretty sure the HRDLX came as 2x12 as well....

The HR DeVille is declined in both 212 and 410 configurations. Both are 60 W.
The HRDLX is only 112 and is rated @ 40 W.
right you are sir!

:)
Resident Spartan.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:44 pm

...oh one more thing to note here - in Ted Weber's Hip Vintage Guitar Amp tech book, he actually gives some pretty easy little mods for Pro Reverbs including things as simple as removing one tube and replacing it with another existing tube in the back.  I can't remember which ones off the top of my head, but if you have a Pro Reverb and are interested in a few tweaks, let me know and I'll ping you with some of Weber's tips for tightening bottom end, getting a little more crunch, etc. 
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:56 am

glimmertwin wrote: ...oh one more thing to note here - in Ted Weber's Hip Vintage Guitar Amp tech book, he actually gives some pretty easy little mods for Pro Reverbs including things as simple as removing one tube and replacing it with another existing tube in the back.  I can't remember which ones off the top of my head, but if you have a Pro Reverb and are interested in a few tweaks, let me know and I'll ping you with some of Weber's tips for tightening bottom end, getting a little more crunch, etc. 
Funny you mention that - I just was flipping through that book last night (and BTW, it's not Ted Weber, but Gerald Weber - no idea if they are relatives, but Gerald runs Kendrick Amplifiers). One of those mods is to pull a tube from the regular (dry) channel - that forces the same tube on the reverb side to adjust automatically for higher gain. I have a 70s Pro Reverb but I haven't spent much time playing it so I can't say if it's lacking in any of those key areas, but it's nice to know. He also claims that if you know "which end of a soldering iron to hold" you can do those mods (and they're fully reversible).
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:42 am

Ted/Gerald - what's in a name?

...my bad.

;-)
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

nealescott
Expat
Expat

Post by nealescott » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:15 pm

yeah, i know how many speakers are in those amps, i was just saying ya know, they're kinda roughly similar, in that they, ya know, employ some kind of 12 inch speaker in some capacity....  :-\ obviously they're not exactly the same, but i figure a pro reverb would deliver even more!!! of the kind of sounds i love in this hotrod deluxe i've been playing.

the deluxe is one of the older 90's made in USA ones, and it belongs to my girlfriend's dad, it's in almost mint unused condition since he never really used it, it sounds really marvellous i have to say, unfortunately most of the fender amps i've come across have been the cheapo nasty solidstate variety, so it's nice to get to use a real one.
apocalypse is happenning.