Re: Advice on Vox amp..

Make it loud here.
Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Advice on Vox amp..

Post by Amber » Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:19 pm

After a while of finding an amp I'd like, it seems a VOX AC30 is want I've wanted for a while. Thick sounding with crunch and lots of clarity. I really love some of the sounds Foo Fighters, Swervedriver get. I can use pedals for super heavy stuff.

There seem to be different Vox amps on eBay. Some go for a lot of money and other pretty cheap. I take it some are tube and others SS?

Anyone have a Vox here? What are your experiences? Do you they break up easily or do any have a master volume?

I have a setting in Amplitube 2 I love called Hot AC. It's driven by a tubescreamer in the program. I love the way it sounds. I can get a lot of Mezcalhead sounds with it.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:10 pm

There are four basic categories of Vox amps:
60's british ($$$$$) - made by JMI, all tube. The gold standard.
60's US ($$$) - Made by Thomas, mostly SS but some are pretty cool.
Modern reissues ($$) - made by Korg - tube.  Great amps at good prices.
Modern modeling amps ($) - made by korg.  OK if you like that sort of thing.

The newest AC30 reissues are great amps for the money.  You can read all sorts of Vox minutia here:
http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewforum.php?f=2
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:30 pm

I have an AC15, one of the Korg reissues made in the UK before they switched over to Chinese production (the CC line). It does have a master volume, but I'm not sure that the earlier ones do. I like it 'cos it basically does the job of an AC30 but is smaller and quieter .. you can carry it one-handed and open it up in small pubs without deafening everyone in the room.

The new Vox CCs are generally fairly well thought of I believe. They did have some reliability issues but that seemed to be more with the earlier run from what I've heard. There's a AC30CC and an AC15CC in that line at least.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:31 pm

mezcalhead wrote:
The new Vox CCs are generally fairly well thought of I believe. They did have some reliability issues but that seemed to be more with the earlier run from what I've heard.
That's right on, from what I've heard. I have an AC30CC that I bought about a year ago. I have n't had any problems with it at all. It sounds really, realy nice with the stock tubes and speakers also. It is definitely a really versatile amp. The master volume is nice and responsive and actually useful. You can get a wide range of drive out of it. The reverb sounds pretty fair to me, in contrast to some of the reviews I have heard. But the tremelo isn't too great. Overall, I think they are a  good value and can cover a lot of ground tonally.

Justin
This isn’t some kind of metaphor
Goddamn this is real

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:44 pm

I had one. Loved it for the studio, got drowned by the bassist live. Always a good investment.
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

vapourtrail
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vapourtrail » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:37 am

i have 2 vox amps. love them. i currently gig with a reissue AC30CC. 6 piece band: drum, bass, keyboard/tambourine player and 3 guitars; 2 12-string players and me on a 6 doing the lead work. we're basically a loud, 60's-esque type group. i haven't had a problem cutting through/getting over top everyone with the AC30.

only problems i've had with it really have been the screws. i replaced most them the only time i went in to change out tubes. and i put paddles on the speakers so i can get to the tubes without having to desolder and solder the speaker wire every time i go in. oh, and i swapped out the reverb tank cos the stock one is crap. very dry, long tailed reverb. this amp is for amazing crunch/dirts and good cleans.

if you want that Swervedriver sound, this is it. you'll find the sound after playing around with it for a little. but the tremolo and reverb are almost useless imo without some modifications.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:16 am

Yeah, the trem/reverb on my AC15 (TBX) aren't great. That's not what Voxes are really about IMHO, although I'd be interested to know what improvement you got from a new reverb tank (and which one you used)?.

Wait, two 12-string guitars in your band? You guys must be jangle central .. how about some posting some links in the music section?

:)

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:34 pm

By all accounts, the CC series amps are great, though the reverb and trem are lacking, as already indicated.  I have a '65ish AC10, which is basically an AC15 (original, not reissue, which is more like a mini AC30), only with 2X10s and a simplified trem circuit.  The real beauty of this amp is the EF86 in the trem channel; imagine a 12AX7, but fatter and gainier and you have an EF86.  These amps are actually still a relative bargain, given that they still hover in the $1200 - $1500 range, which may sound like a lot, but trust me, it'll seem like a huge bargain in a few years, since prices on all vintage Voxes are steadily climbing and climbing. 
Thread killer

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:04 am

Yeah, there's some magic in those old vox's with the ef86.  Vox is actually reissuing the old AC15 with the ef86 channel later this year:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC15H1TV  The street price will be something like $1200 which is a steal for a hand wired amp.
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

vapourtrail
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vapourtrail » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:21 am

although I'd be interested to know what improvement you got from a new reverb tank (and which one you used)?
i put more of a medium accutronics tank in. the type # i forget. i just cross referenced the tank sizes for the one i needed.
when i took the stock tank out, which i did within 24 hours of getting the amp, i found that 2 of the springs were completely broken off.
which no doubt was part of the reason that i cringed the first time i activate the reverb. that and the long, shallow tail.
Wait, two 12-string guitars in your band? You guys must be jangle central
singer always plays a 12 string. 2nd rhythm guitar player will switch off between a 6 & 12 depending on the tune. they usually both play the relatively the same chords, just with different tones. predominantly clean.  i suppose we're jangley... it's always just loud as hell to me. but people seem to dig what we do so... i'm still learning the rules of the board (don't want to post things where i'm not supposed to). music section, i suppose i can post links there if you're interested.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:46 am

OK, thanks!
vapourtrail wrote: that and the long, shallow tail.
Yeah .. my AC15 has that as well .. kind of a flat zingy noise rather than the shimmering cloud you get from the good Fender reverbs.
vapourtrail wrote: music section, i suppose i can post links there if you're interested.
Links to people's stuff are always welcome and the music section is the place for it .. from time to time things get accidentally posted in the wrong place, that's OK, we just move them .. BWT there's a thread in the music section for upcoming gigs as well if you have any.