Make it loud here.
zhivago
Mods
Mods

Amp techs in London...

Post by zhivago » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:32 am

hey guys,

a bit of a longshot, as there are not that many London forumites,

I wanna get my '65 Tremolux fixed up ASAP, as I've left it broken at the rehearsal space for months now, and I got some gigs coming up.

I have used Angel music (Denmark street) in the past, but their tech services have been on the expensive side, so i was wondering if someone knows any other tech, in London that can fix blackface Fenders?

many thanks

Yannis
Resident Spartan.

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Amp techs in London...

Post by Amber » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:49 am

How do you get your amp around London? Must be a pain on the tube. Unless you drive of course.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:51 am

I don't drive....we hire taxis, or vans, stuff like that.
Resident Spartan.

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:17 am

Might be moving there by summer so curious to see how other live a musicians life. This is OT but is it really hard to drive in London? Or even worth it?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:10 am

I lived there for two years and never bothered to buy a car .. for the rare occasions you can't make a trip by tube, a taxi or hire car will suffice. I do need a car up this end of the country though (Lancs).

Zhiv, I'm in the same boat as you .. there's a really good tech here but he's become so busy with his day job that my little tweed Champ has been in the shop for over 6 months!
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:24 am

yeah, I need to get my Tremolux fixed soon...the '61 project took quite a bit of my attention (and money)....lost focus on the amp...it's been at the rehearsal space for months (and I'm paying for storage for it too! - doh!)

gotta sort the amp ASAP!

I've also posted on Plexi Palace, and The Gear Page...maybe someone will post some details....if they do, I'll pass them on here as well :)
Resident Spartan.

thew ebow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by thew ebow » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:35 pm

I know someone great in Angel..and probs a bit cheaper..

i bought my custom/maverick in angels music.. they have another one in at the moment of you are interested  ( £1350)..

i would give you the number straight away but the site i go to get the number is down @ present.

Give me 24 hours! and i'll post it! 8)

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:45 pm

Ever hear of Theo Argiriadis? I saw a link to him on Ted Weber's site. He's in North London - Muswell Hill (N22)

http://www.tube-electronics.co.uk/ampservice.htm
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:09 pm

mjet260 wrote: Ever hear of Theo Argiriadis? I saw a link to him on Ted Weber's site. He's in North London - Muswell Hill (N22)

http://www.tube-electronics.co.uk/ampservice.htm
I saw his website a while back....he sounds Greek!

maybe I should talk to him...he is miles away from where I live, but it could be worth it :)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:11 pm

thew ebow wrote: I know someone great in Angel..and probs a bit cheaper..

i bought my custom/maverick in angels music.. they have another one in at the moment of you are interested  ( £1350)..

i would give you the number straight away but the site i go to get the number is down @ present.

Give me 24 hours! and i'll post it! 8)
hey there, the guy at Angel Music is the one I've used before...he took me to the cleaners when he re-wired my '61 Jazzmaster (£50 to wire it up with just the 2 pups and the toggle into the vol and tone pot)  :o ??? :(
Resident Spartan.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:21 pm

I still wish you could've let me do that .. I would've done it free just for the fun of it.

The offer stands if you need anything similar on the current project as well, just PM me.

:)
zhivago wrote: ....he sounds Greek!
Sounds like a good contact .. !
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:51 pm

zhivago wrote:
hey there, the guy at Angel Music is the one I've used before...he took me to the cleaners when he re-wired my '61 Jazzmaster (£50 to wire it up with just the 2 pups and the toggle into the vol and tone pot)  :o ??? :(

Sounds like a "minimum bench fee" situation - if so a more complex job that fills up the hour better doesn't cost any more than a 10 minute solder job.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:35 am

mezcalhead wrote: I still wish you could've let me do that .. I would've done it free just for the fun of it.

The offer stands if you need anything similar on the current project as well, just PM me.

zhivago wrote: ....he sounds Greek!
Sounds like a good contact .. !

I'll have a go at doing it myself, but I'll let you know....I really need to learn how to do this, and I guess working with new pots etc will make me a bit more comfortable with it all...

I was real paranoid I'd ruin my '61 pots on Blondie...I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:38 am

mjet260 wrote:
zhivago wrote:

Sounds like a "minimum bench fee" situation - if so a more complex job that fills up the hour better doesn't cost any more than a 10 minute solder job.
I agree.....it just really took me by surprise...I had £30 on me and thought I was gonna get change from that!

...once I clreared up the difference between "fifteen" and "fifty" (the repair guy had a heavy French accent), I nervously said "I need to go to the cash machine again, sorry about this" and walked off numb....

it was during the time I was super-low on cash too, so I had to have a drink afterwards to calm my nerves!!  :o  :(
Resident Spartan.