Re: adding a reverb tank...

Make it loud here.
berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

adding a reverb tank...

Post by berlinbetty » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:13 am

I have a Vox Valvetronix that I think the world of that has a great reverb, just not "spring" reverb.  I see reverb tanks on ebay for really cheap.  Does anyone know if it's possible to add a reverb tank to just any amp and, if so, what would be involved?  Thanks...
One more guitar, then I'll practice!

Terry Wright
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Terry Wright » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:42 am

I don't think it would be a do it yourself progect to add a spring reverb tank to an amp that didn't come with it.  The tank Has input and output impedence ratings that have to match with the reverb driver circuit, ( which you also won't have ) and the reverb return circuit, ( same situation ). Having said that there are people who make add on spring reverb systems that include these circuits. Gerald Weber at Kendrick amplifiers is one. www.kendrick-amplifiers.com  Or call him at 512 932-3130  He's a real nice guy and probably will be the one to answer the phone. He is in Texas near Austin.

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:08 am

It's definitely not plug and play, but there are some great spring reverb pedals out there like the the Spring King. And if you have the AD100vt then you have an effects loop, which you could plug that into and get a great sound.

Theres a discussion on Reverb units over in the effects area.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 272#p18272
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:53 am

It's funny you send me the link for that thread.  I actually posted there asking if anybody had ever tried the Spring King! :D  But it's the thought that counts, Pullover ;)

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:45 pm

Hehe, I guess I should pay more attention huh?
berlinbetty wrote:   Early last year, I was on a big "spring reverb" kick.  I love my amp (Vox Valvetronix) but that seems to be the one effect it doesn't have.  So, I went around to all the local music stores and tried what I think is just about every reverb pedal out there.  I finally settled on the Verbzilla, because I thought it had the most realistic spring reverb sound out of all of them.  But, I too found myself using the plate setting more.  That's a great sound! 
  Lately I've been playing around with the delay settings on my amp to get pretty close to a spring sound and I haven't been using the Verbzilla, so you can probably look for that on eBay in the near future.
  Has anyone tried the Danelectro Spring King?  That's the only one I couldn't find in a local store and I'm still curious about it...

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:43 pm

So which valvetronics do you have and how is the build quality? I was thinking of getting one a few years back, but the reviews on Harmony Central scared me away. Basically they said, "sounds great I love it I wish it still worked!" or "First one broke, the second sounds great though!" I tried out one of the little Vox DA15's and I thought it sounded really farty at loud volumes, but I only played with it for about 15 minutes. I was able to get some very cool sounds out of it but I still have concerns about their quality.

Infliktor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Infliktor » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:22 pm

Last edited by mezcalhead on Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:06 am

That review is right on, actually!  My first AD15 started playing funky one day, like it wouldn't sustain.  The note wouldn't ring, it would fizzle out.  I thought it was the tube, so I replaced it and same deal.  Luckily, I bought it at Guitar Center with an extended warranty (guitars I can fix, amps and pedals get the warranty) that it was still under.  I then went with the DA15 which, technically, isn't a Vavletronix cuz it doesn't have a pre-amp tube.  But, even without the pre-amp tube, it sounded exactly the same to me.  I haven't tried it at loud volumes, but I do marvel at how loud it is at just around 3 or 4.  I've only had it for about seven months, so we'll see.  If this one cracks up on me, I might have to consider a new favorite amp... :(

momunist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by momunist » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:05 am

that stuff on that vintone site looks SERIOUS. 

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:52 am

momunist wrote: that stuff on that vintone site looks SERIOUS. 
Especially considering the Fender Reissue spring reverb unit is just 500 bucks, and theirs starts out at around 750! Still they look sweet. I want that SimleX V-front amp even though the name is stupid.  http://vintone.com/simv.html
berlinbetty wrote: If this one cracks up on me, I might have to consider a new favorite amp... :(
My friend had a Marshall  MG250DFX (Korg makes them along with the VOX) that started crapping out on him like that. The sound would get pinched and really compressed, he'd hit the top of it and there was a loud pop, and it would go back to normal for a while. He gave it to me to fix and it turned out to be the power transformer. I separated the wire's that go to an from it, tying them back, and securing them so they wouldn't move around, and that fixed it. Maybe Korgs transformer design sucks? I hate it that such a great amp has problems like that though. By great amp I mean the Vox, screw the Marshall MG series.