Make it loud here.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: Ever re-fallen in love with an amp?

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:19 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:42 pm
Yes, my 76 deluxe reverb. I'm keeping it now. I changed the speaker from a Jupiter 12C to a Celestion G12H Creamback (75w). It's way better now. It was just too scooped and bright with the Jupiter. Now I have some mids that really cut through without sounding too bright.

The Jupiter is a great high-powered Jensen type speaker though. It'd probably sound great in a Tweed Deluxe to increase frequency range.
I have a quad of those Creambacks in my Green Matamp cab. I really like them. I use V30s a lot and the Creambacks don’t have that big upper mid spike.
This isn’t some kind of metaphor
Goddamn this is real

CS
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CS » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:31 am

This is a sort of situation. I use my bad cat bc30 as a bedroom amp because it's so large and heavy. On the rare occasions it goes out it sounds glorious. It's those excursions that keep me from selling it.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:12 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:42 pm
I have a Vox AC4HW that I’ve owned for a handful of years now. I always thought it sounded good but for some reason I don’t use it very much. Last week I fired it up and have been using it for a couple of hours every day since. It sounds fantastic. I’m running the bass near full and the treble down low, with the output on the cool setting, but plugged into the high input. My Telecaster with a slight boost from either a Lehle Sunday Driver or a Plumes is so chunky and clear, but not harsh or ice picky. There’s some serious heft to the tones. My unconventional tone settings (for this amp) really make all the difference for me.

This post was a terrible influence on my life, a few months later… :whistle:

Let’s just say I’ve got my Keeley treble boost & GE-6 ready, waiting for a quick trip to Manchester where I’ll collect a new amp in the next week or so :ph34r:
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:00 pm

Absolutely. My Peavey Classic 212. 1977, solid-state front end, 50W tube power section. My main and live amp from about '02-'08.

It's currently third-tier in my pile, but it always sounds so great when I plug into it. Different. Halfway between my clean tube amps and my solid states. The inherent drive/fuzz voicing is incredibly interesting, versatile EQ, and deeeeeeeep reverb.

Just a special, weird thing. It can't do the other, more popular things very well (maybe "blank, clean, Fender-ish") but I don't have anything else that quite does what this does.

I really need to take it in for a servicing and give it a new lease on life by about 30 more years.

SeymourG
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SeymourG » Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:28 pm

It took me a lot of years to eventually get to an early 60s 6G6 Bassman. I play surf and was trying to play as clean as can be with a black panel '65 bandmaster or twin. But when I heard my Jag through the bass channel on that bassman, I realized I needed a little snarl in my tone.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Aug 06, 2024 5:50 am

Mostly just amps I shouldn't have...

:ph34r:
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Tue Aug 06, 2024 3:24 pm

“… you shouldn’t have re-fallen in love with….”

Yes: Roland jc77. Got it for cheap on Craigslist, played it a bunch for a couple years then it got consigned to keyboard amp duty at home when I started using a super reverb. It turns out that it’s amazing paired with another JC or Fender. Or on its own. Clean, articulate, not harsh, the EQ really changes things.

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:57 pm

I fell in love again with the mid '60s black panel Deluxe Amp. Almost like a Deluxe Reverb, well almost because it has a gain stage less in the vibrato channel. I prefer the lower preamp gain, a bit more headroom and gradual onset of power amp drive. It's a practical format amp for me, compact and portable but loud enough for band use and gigs.

About ten years ago I had one for about a year before I replaced it with a Tremolux Amp/2x10" cabinet. While the Tremolux set worked well at that time, lately I was thinking about a more practical amp for me and switched back to the Deluxe. I can't drive a car (epilepsy) so I like to be able to travel to a rehearsal or gig by public transit carrying a guitar, pedalboard and amp if I can't get a ride. I fitted a Neo Creamback lightweight speaker so I can just about carry the Deluxe and the other gear.