PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: potential return of sunn amps?

Post by panoramic » Mon May 08, 2023 8:31 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:24 am
panoramic wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:19 am
that don't look like microwaves inside.
Like empty with a spinning plate with a burrito on it? I'd be down for that...very "Geddy Lee playing in front of appliaces" vibe

like NOT LIKE THIS
or this
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Mon May 08, 2023 8:40 am

panoramic wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:31 am
like NOT LIKE THIS
The chances of that are approximately zero, but they could (read: 99% probably wont) do a better job of modern construction than most. A circuit board with only components mounted to it, and individual wires that go to chassis mounted parts would be a start.
Instagram: thetonyballs

CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CaptainCrunch » Mon May 08, 2023 9:28 am

Gibson bought Mesa/Boogie recently, didn't they?

On one hand, it makes me wonder if Fender wants to compete in that more boutique-ey space with a name more associated with high-gain. On the other, Fender hasn't been shy about making Fender amps with pretty non-Fender sounds, and how much room for growth is there in the market for big volume and big bucks?

Wanted a 300T real bad back in the day, though.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon May 08, 2023 9:49 am

The doom corner of the market that lust after and cherish the old Sunn stuff (Model T and Beta's) the most feverishly, although popular enough, would probably still count as a niche market. Especially at the wattage some of those old beasts put out. Not many stages and soundpeople will take or tolerate a 150w tube amp head without a fuss, and people are moving away from high-power amps in their droves. It's rare I can even open up a 50w head!

I'm intrigued to see where they take this.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Mon May 08, 2023 10:13 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:40 am
panoramic wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:31 am
like NOT LIKE THIS
The chances of that are approximately zero, but they could (read: 99% probably wont) do a better job of modern construction than most. A circuit board with only components mounted to it, and individual wires that go to chassis mounted parts would be a start.
that ac10 gutshot made me sell off my ac10, it's like a tube overdrive pedal made from a microwave.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue May 09, 2023 6:35 pm

There are ways to do PCB and SMT very well for audio—they can be made robust, durable, and good-sounding.

They aren’t always, and that’s usually down to getting the price point to match up with the target market.

Really those inexpensive “microwave” tube amps are a net positive IMO. Before that, people could either buy expensive amps or a Crate or Peavey solid-state. That was it.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Wed May 10, 2023 8:23 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 6:35 pm
There are ways to do PCB and SMT very well for audio—they can be made robust, durable, and good-sounding.

They aren’t always, and that’s usually down to getting the price point to match up with the target market.

Really those inexpensive “microwave” tube amps are a net positive IMO. Before that, people could either buy expensive amps or a Crate or Peavey solid-state. That was it.
they just feel like they are made to break, the ac10 is a really good example based on the amp tech vids I've watched on it.
I do agree that it's great to have tube amps available at lower pricepoints and some of them sounds amazing or are total workhorses like the hot rod deluxe and the pro junior. The experiences I have had with the vox stuff has not been the best, similar with some of the oranges I have tried.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Thu May 11, 2023 1:26 am

I'd rather see this brand resurrected as a line of big fuck off tube monsters. I get the love for the recent Fender Tonemaster series, but I don't think that "more of that with a different badge on" is a particularly interesting proposition. I also suspect the enthusiasm for big old solid state amps (as great as they are) might be a bit of an OSG-flavour-of-the-month scenario than anything else.

If I were Fender, I'd be thinking about how many amps Matamp and Orange manage to shift in USA and be going after that.
a total idiot jackass

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:00 am

I thought those 96 days have (subjectively) to be over by now…but nope. Still 56 left…

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:12 pm

What little they post on their IG doesn't scream 'big company' in the slightest...it's really odd. The whole thing. It's got a strange air about it that I can't put my finger on *rubs chin emoji*

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:45 am

Fresh email just dropped:
Greetings from Sunn Amplification

We hope this email finds you filled with anticipation for what's to come. We want to express our heartfelt appreciation for signing up to be part of history with the re-launch of Sunn.

We know you're full of questions about what's coming next, and we can't wait to share all the details with you. Firstly, please mark August 1st on your calendars because that's when we're revealing everything about our vision, our team, and our plans for the future of Sunn. As a valued subscriber, you'll be one of the first to receive all this exciting info.

Our team has been hard at work assembling a group of seasoned Music Industry professionals who not only share a deep admiration and respect for the Sunn brand but are also dedicated to establishing Sunn Amplifiers as a formidable presence in the market once again. We take immense pride in producing Sunn amplifiers that are built in the U.S.A.

Sunn Musical Equipment has been an integral part of music history and we are committed to building upon that legacy. Our aim is to build powerful amplifiers, speakers and music products that reflect the pioneering spirit of the original Sunn designers. There will be Sunn products to suit all artists at every level, and all built with a commitment to sustain our legacy. By joining us, you have become an essential part of this journey.

We greatly appreciate your support and enthusiasm as we embark on this exciting venture. Stay tuned for more updates in the coming weeks leading up to August 1st, when we unveil our plans in their entirety.

Thank you once again for joining us as we re-launch the Sunn brand. Together, we will make Sunn Amplification shine brighter than ever before!

If you have any immediate questions or would like to share your thoughts, please feel free to reach out to us. We value your feedback and look forward to connecting with you. Follow us on social media, you can find all our channels below.

Warm regards,

The Sunn Musical Equipment Team
Seems promising. Talk of USA-build amps. And a picture of tubes in the email...

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:57 am

I can’t believe I had to wait a month to be told to wait another 6 weeks :fp:
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:14 am

Whatever they make will suck in some way, its just the way that mass amp manufacture is nowadays. That said, the pic shows me two 6550s, two small bottle preamp tubes, and a tube rectifier which says to me Sunn 200S. Something along those lines is step in the right direction.
Instagram: thetonyballs

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:30 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:14 am
Whatever they make will suck in some way, its just the way that mass amp manufacture is nowadays. That said, the pic shows me two 6550s, two small bottle preamp tubes, and a tube rectifier which says to me Sunn 200S. Something along those lines is step in the right direction.
I can't see any bolts mounting the preamp sockets to the chassis, which I guess indicates some level of board-mounting. There does appear to be some on the power tubes (I think).

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:13 am

I emailed to pry into their plans and said:
Hello!

Well, this is great news. Are you allowed to share any information about what direction you will be taking? Reissues of old tube or solid state amps? Fresh designs influenced by the old ones?

Many Thanks

Johnny Somersett
And their response was this:
Hi,

Thank you so much for supporting Sunn. We cannot share specific product details until the launch date on Aug 1, however I can tell you that all the amplifier types that you listed are covered 😊
....so I reckon some Beta Leads, 200S's and Model T's are likely.