Opinions on Supersonic 22 head?

Make it loud here.
HarktheUmpire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Opinions on Supersonic 22 head?

Post by HarktheUmpire » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:57 am

Although I'd rather spend a little more to get this instead. That's pretty much my dream amp; a Vibrolux Reverb as a head. Worth a trip to Puerto Rico?

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:09 am

The problem with playing stuff in stores is that theres not a whole lot of options in town for me but you're right that is the best way to get to know if you like something. That vibrolux head might be worth going all in for though...

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:07 pm

HarktheUmpire wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:57 am
Although I'd rather spend a little more to get this instead. That's pretty much my dream amp; a Vibrolux Reverb as a head. Worth a trip to Puerto Rico?
This actually sounds awesome! And would have been my exact plan if I should ever buy one of those from the 68 custom series... a Bassman/Custom channel (like the Supersonic) with functional Tremolo and Reverb...
I can only comment on the 60 Watt first generation Supersonic head - and I love it very much. But the 22 is based on the Deluxe Reverb, right?

pawnzito
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pawnzito » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:11 pm

I have a 68 deluxe reverb reissue and my band mate has the super sonic 22. We a/b’d it and while they were similar (when using the bass man circuit on the drri) the break up on volume was much more gradual with the supersonic. Also the gain circuit thing pretty much replaced his gain pedals. It’s a cool amp and definitely worth checking out if that type of amp fits the bill. The one thing I’ll say about it is it’s loud for what it is. At small venues he has a hard time being quiet enough.

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:50 pm

pawnzito wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:11 pm
I have a 68 deluxe reverb reissue and my band mate has the super sonic 22. We a/b’d it and while they were similar (when using the bass man circuit on the drri) the break up on volume was much more gradual with the supersonic. Also the gain circuit thing pretty much replaced his gain pedals. It’s a cool amp and definitely worth checking out if that type of amp fits the bill. The one thing I’ll say about it is it’s loud for what it is. At small venues he has a hard time being quiet enough.
Thanks for sharing. My plan for it would be for playing live, but now I know I can't use it as my practice amp as well lol. I'm both intrigued and scared by the idea of using my amp for all my gain. On one hand it sounds really useful, on the other then I don't have an excuse to hop on the current drive pedal craze ;)

welshywelsh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by welshywelsh » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:15 am

I had a Supersonic 22 combo. Was an enjoyable clean amp, but wasn't fussed on the burn channel, so used pedals exclusively for dirt. I found it was swallowed up at band rehearsal too (may not be relevant to you) so I moved to a stereo setup with a vintage Pro Reverb.

That only compounded the fact that the Pro Reverb was waaaaay better sounding, so I sold the Supersonic and now just use the Pro.

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:04 pm

welshywelsh wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:15 am
I had a Supersonic 22 combo. Was an enjoyable clean amp, but wasn't fussed on the burn channel, so used pedals exclusively for dirt. I found it was swallowed up at band rehearsal too (may not be relevant to you) so I moved to a stereo setup with a vintage Pro Reverb.

That only compounded the fact that the Pro Reverb was waaaaay better sounding, so I sold the Supersonic and now just use the Pro.
What made the Pro Reverb sound better in your opinion?

welshywelsh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by welshywelsh » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:03 am

shoegaze_head wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:04 pm
welshywelsh wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:15 am

What made the Pro Reverb sound better in your opinion?
To my ears the sound was a lot more rounded. I play post rock, so need to have clarity in what I'm hearing, even with all my dumb pedals on and the Pro Reverb did this better.

Not sure how prices are now and obviously vintage comes with risk, but it was similarly priced to a used Supersonic

HarktheUmpire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarktheUmpire » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:51 am

welshywelsh wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:03 am
Not sure how prices are now and obviously vintage comes with risk, but it was similarly priced to a used Supersonic
Although you should ideally always test the amp before buying, personally I find vintage amps mostly come with less risk than newer ones; they’re usually a lot easier to troubleshoot and fix even with basic soldering skills. Whereas if a new amp failed me, I’d have to depend on a skilled tech to fix it for me, which can easily get expensive. Some new amps (Tonemasters come to mind) even come with parts that will most likely go obsolete over time; they’re guaranteed not to last. My old amps I can fix myself, and I even enjoy working on them. There’s really no reason both my 60s tube amps won’t outlive me, and I’m 35.

Considering that they often sound better and are easier to maintain than new amps, I find a lot of vintage amps are still fairly reasonably priced. I also have no use for any of the extra features on new amps.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:48 am

I agree, vintage amps (60s-70s) are way less risk for a long-term purchase. You could buy a functional Silverface Pro Reverb for $500-1000 and the worst it could really need is a full cap job which is a very easy and relatively cheap job to do. Any modern PCB amp with any level of complexity is going to be infinitely harder to service or fix.

I did a cap job on a SF Pro Reverb and it took less than an hour and £50 in parts.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

welshywelsh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by welshywelsh » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:21 am

JSett wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:48 am
I agree, vintage amps (60s-70s) are way less risk for a long-term purchase. You could buy a functional Silverface Pro Reverb for $500-1000 and the worst it could really need is a full cap job which is a very easy and relatively cheap job to do. Any modern PCB amp with any level of complexity is going to be infinitely harder to service or fix.

I did a cap job on a SF Pro Reverb and it took less than an hour and £50 in parts.
Bookmarked for when my '73 PR blows up on tour

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:42 pm

Figured I'd give you guys an update, I've got it narrowed down to 2 amps that I am set on choosing between. First is (surprise surprise) the supersonic 22. I considered the 60 watt for a minute because I found one cheaper but the thing has 9 tubes and is 10 pounds heavier than the 22. Truth be told I wouldn't mind having it but between the 2 I would go for the newer option. Still haven't found any local that I could try out but I did get to try out the different amps that the cleans are based on, more of that below.

The second is a bit of a dark horse. I went to a local shop that deals primarily with vintage gear to get a feel for the amps modeled by the supersonic and see if there would be something cheap-ish to pick up. I actually found a '66 bassman I could have gotten with my budget but it was pushing the upper limit and I feel like I would be too scared to take it gigging. Turns out a guy I know from another music shop started working at this fancy vintage place, and he brought in his Sovtek MiG-60 he was considering selling. I plugged in not expecting to like it because I am in the market for a fender amp and these things are Marshall voiced, right (at least according to some people)?

I was blown away with how much I liked with my jazzmaster plugged into the MiG-60. I thought that I would only be able to get high gain sounds, but the lo input seemed clean enough to my ears, and if I wanted some gain I could just plug into the high channel. There was also a MiG-100 in the shop but the hi input's volume was half of its lo input, it was 500 more than the guy wanted for his, and I already felt like 60 would be plenty loud for my uses.

From what I read online the 60 is the best built of the bunch and reliable as all get out. I've never in my life considered getting a marshall amp until about last year when I got into Title Fight and since I've been getting little thoughts like "wouldn't it be so cool to get a JCM800?", maybe that MiG is a cheaper way to get that sound.

Now I'm stuck wanting the MiG-60, but the band I'm currently in is definitely more fender territory. Out of all the things in my life I'm worrying about right now, this honestly isn't bad.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:00 pm

Both great options. The Sovtek might be the “better” amp from a perspective of build quality & ability to maintain it forever.

I think the question will come down to whether you want single channel amp or not? Also, if you’re ok without clean cleans.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoegaze_head » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:48 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:00 pm
Both great options. The Sovtek might be the “better” amp from a perspective of build quality & ability to maintain it forever.

I think the question will come down to whether you want single channel amp or not? Also, if you’re ok without clean cleans.
The Supersonic was built last year so I'm praying if I get it I'll have many years out of it. Both amps are dual channel, are they not? The supersonic has clean and burn, and the lo is more plexi on the MiG and the hi is more JCM800.

In my mind the match up goes like this

Mig-60:
-cheaper
-more reliable
-unique

Supersonic 22:
-reverb and effects loop (not deal breakers without, but a welcome addition)
-more versatile

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:56 pm

Sorry, meant switchable channels.

With my recent experience, single channel amp just isn’t what I require from a workhorse. I want a button that gives me distinct sounds to reduce the fuck ups that I make when playing live.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?