New Dream Amp (Matchless) Day

Make it loud here.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: New Dream Amp (Matchless) Day Incoming!

Post by Maggieo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:19 pm

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:05 pm

zhivago wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:43 pm
Very nice! :-* :-* :-* :-*

A Matchless Lightning has been my main amp for about 6 years...you're gonna love this amp for sure! 8)

Thank you. Yes, I remember seeing yours on the “Set Up of the Day” thread a little while back and being inspired. For some reason, I feel like they’re one of the classiest looking amps being made. I thought about a Lightning as well. This Spitfire so happened to be one of the better deals on Reverb at the moment and black being an attractive choice. Other colors I would’ve liked to have tried would have been green or the wine, but black is right up there.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Scheduled for delivery tomorrow at noon. Tomorrow’s work day won’t end soon enough

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:44 am

Seriously, are you done working yet? :D

Congrats! I've wanted a Matchless ever since I saw The Grifters using one long ago but have never so much as tried one.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:41 pm

luau wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:44 am

Congrats! I've wanted a Matchless ever since I saw The Grifters using one long ago but have never so much as tried one.
Thank you! Same here in that I have never played one. I don’t think I’ve ever heard one outside the internet. I came home to unbox it. Looked at it for a few minutes and it looks great. It’s lighter than I imagined. But, this is not at all a light amp. Just not as heavy as I was thinking which I’m very glad for.

I’ll still have to wait at least a few hours before I can get home to it. On top of that, I’m absolutely exhausted from being an adult today :fp:

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:24 pm

luau wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:44 am

Great band. Sean Eden from Luna and Dan Seta from the short-lived 4 piece version of Idaho are my favorite Matchless players.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:48 pm

And exhaustion has gotten the better of me. I’m simply too tired to reinstall the tubes and fire it up. Tomorrow!

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:21 am

When mine arrived years ago, it was in an over-sized non-original box, as I got it on ebay.

I somehow managed to carry it up three flights of stairs in that silly box...right at the end I almost lost my balance...had I fallen backwards I would be wearing it as a hat. A very heavy, expensive, painful hat! :wtf: :D

By the time I got it unpacked, I too was too tired to play it! :D
Resident Spartan.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:08 am

zhivago wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:21 am
When mine arrived years ago, it was in an over-sized non-original box, as I got it on ebay.

I somehow managed to carry it up three flights of stairs in that silly box...right at the end I almost lost my balance...had I fallen backwards I would be wearing it as a hat. A very heavy, expensive, painful hat! :wtf: :D

I’ve finally got to spend (some) time with it, and oh man. I can’t really find a setting on the amp that sounds bad. It’s cleans are like a Vox, but have a better character and more pronounced. It also has much for headroom. It really probably is the perfect amp for me and my ambient style.

Mine arrived in a Dr Z amp box. I can see how carrying a big amp box would get you off balance. That’s a LOT of amp. I’m telling you, carrying this reminded me of the one thing I hate about shows and that’s transporting gear. It’s not my most heavy piece of equipment. But it’s so nice, I see some inevitable booboos coming along as I bump it into doors and whatever else is in my way.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:27 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:08 am
zhivago wrote:

I’ve finally got to spend (some) time with it, and oh man. I can’t really find a setting on the amp that sounds bad. It’s cleans are like a Vox, but have a better character and more pronounced. It also has much for headroom. It really probably is the perfect amp for me and my ambient style.

Mine arrived in a Dr Z amp box. I can see how carrying a big amp box would get you off balance. That’s a LOT of amp. I’m telling you, carrying this reminded me of the one thing I hate about shows and that’s transporting gear. It’s not my most heavy piece of equipment. But it’s so nice, I see some inevitable booboos coming along as I bump it into doors and whatever else is in my way.
Re: bumps, my Swart AST came with a hard sided cover which is a genius idea. Barely heavier than a plain padded cover, but with better protection for the front and back. UnderCoverNYC makes these.

Glad you like it. Seems perfect for the sound you’re going for.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:53 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
zhivago wrote:

Really glad to hear you are digging it...the clean/edge of breakup Matchless sound can ruin other amps forever! :D :)
Resident Spartan.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:32 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:27 pm

Re: bumps, my Swart AST came with a hard sided cover which is a genius idea. Barely heavier than a plain padded cover, but with better protection for the front and back. UnderCoverNYC makes these.

Glad you like it. Seems perfect for the sound you’re going for.
Definitely, I do have a padded cover that I’ll be using. And yes, the sound. Had our first rehearsal yesterday with it. It’s going to take some getting used to finding the sweet spot. The good thing is that it sounds good everywhere, but trying to find where ir sounds best is my objective now

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:32 am

zhivago wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:53 pm
Unicorn Warrior wrote:
zhivago wrote:

Really glad to hear you are digging it...the clean/edge of breakup Matchless sound can ruin other amps forever! :D :)
Oh, you’re so right. Did not expect that but it was the first thing I noticed.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Dream Amp (Matchless) Day

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:33 am

Last night’s rehearsal

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Dream Amp (Matchless) Day

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:03 pm

Just came to say I did my first outdoor gig with this thing. I got so many compliments on my tone. It delivered in spades and does everything I could ever want. Best amp I’ve ever had. This comes after years of owning super nice guitars and average-ish amps. After years, I finally understand that amps are just so crucial. Dare I say more crucial than your guitar.