Jag-Stang Project FINISHED Pg. 7

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
JohnnyAtomic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jag-Stang Project

Post by JohnnyAtomic » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:22 am

i generally dislike brown guitars, but that is looking really cool. I love the pepperoni pickguard.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 am

storyboardist wrote:Looks cool. Love the walnut stain and tort guard combo. It's like a the Crackwhore Jag,and an Elvis Costello Jazz had a baby via a Kurt Cobain surrogate.
A lot of my favorite things rolled together. :)
JohnnyAtomic wrote:i generally dislike brown guitars, but that is looking really cool. I love the pepperoni pickguard.
Thanks! I wasn't sure about staining because this is the first time I have tried it, but I am happy with how it looks. :) Normally I don't care for more natural finishes. I tend to like metallic and glitter flake finishes, but this one has a lot of character to it. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:47 pm

It is almost done. Wiring is basically done. I just need to figure out why the mini humbucker won't let me phase reverse it. It kills output when I try. Looks good. :)

IMG_2268 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2269 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 pm

Everything done except strings. Can you dig it? I can. :D

IMG_2281 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2278 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2284 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2283 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2279 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

michaeldwatson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by michaeldwatson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:12 pm

That is beautiful work. I'm extremely jealous of you right now :blush:

Leviman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Leviman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:13 pm

What's the wiring like on the humbucker?
Longhorn build http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62236

lokalfuz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lokalfuz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:00 am

HNB, did you say you got the tort through WD, or Pickguardian? That's the best tort I've seen in a while... Great looking build buddy!

paltic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by paltic » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:13 am

:-* chris, you are a GOD :?
+++ death by 60 cycle hum +++

pinkmoonfan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pinkmoonfan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:16 am

This was like the first DIY build thread that caught my attention here on OSG. I've literally checked this thread every week with baited breath waiting to see the final product. It looks absolutely fantastic. I'm not a big fan of the Jagstang bodies but combined with the dark stain and tort (of course, it's all about the tort) it gives the guitar a beastly, organic look. It looks like it was hewn straight from a tree. It's gorgeous. I would give anything for this guitar.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:31 am

michaeldwatson wrote:That is beautiful work. I'm extremely jealous of you right now
Thanks! I can't wait to get strings for it a bit later today. :)
Leviman wrote:What's the wiring like on the humbucker?
It has a single blue wire with a small white wire surrounded by copper braid. The copper braid (I assume) is ground and the white is hot. I am pretty positive the pickup just won't reverse because I tried swapping the hot and ground and it just reversed which switch position muted the guitar. No biggie in the big picture since the bridge does work both directions so I can still phase. :) Must be because of the ground connecting to the bridge plate and metal cover or something.
lokalfuz wrote:HNB, did you say you got the tort through WD, or Pickguardian? That's the best tort I've seen in a while... Great looking build buddy!
I got this guard custom made (because it needed the steeper Jag-Stang curve to fit but the Jag-Stang horn point was too high) from Pickguardian.com. I asked Tony if he had the parchment layer tort as an option vs the mint tortoise I had got from him before because I wanted to try it out. He said he gets it from the same source as WD. I have heard people having issues with how WD cuts guards. (Things not lining up, holes off, etd.) Tony has always done great work, so I haven't ever tried them. I just send him a tracing with the mods drawn on and he sends me back a guard. This one has lots of yellow. I really like it. The parchment gives it a more orange red vibe than mint layered. It warms it up a bit. :)
paltic wrote: chris, you are a GOD
LOL Thanks! I love the Costello Jazzmaster. When I got the body and saw the wood pattern, I thought about staining, and since that is my favorite stained guitar, I decided to give it a go. I am very pleased with the similarities. I used white strat knobs, switches, and the one pickup to kind of mimic the Costello, along with the tort guard and walnut (dark walnut on mine), I think it has a good connection. The pickup config was based off of the Crack Whore. Never used a mini humbucker, so I am excited to try it. Since it is supposed to be more like a single coil output, I decided to go with two 500k pots vs my normal 1meg treatment. Strat pickups on 1meg are too much for me. Full humbuckers, Jaguar pickups, and Jazzy pickups RULE with one megs though. :)
pinkmoonfan wrote:This was like the first DIY build thread that caught my attention here on OSG. I've literally checked this thread every week with baited breath waiting to see the final product. It looks absolutely fantastic. I'm not a big fan of the Jagstang bodies but combined with the dark stain and tort (of course, it's all about the tort) it gives the guitar a beastly, organic look. It looks like it was hewn straight from a tree. It's gorgeous. I would give anything for this guitar.
I really appreciate that. I am sorry I made you wait so long. LOL I wanted this finished a long time ago but bills kept keeping me from being able to order the pickguard. I had everything else a ways back. :) I get excited and ramped up from the builders here on OSG. It is a great place to see ideas. I completely agree with you that this has a really natural and organic vibe to it. Jag-Stangs are very curvey and sleek (in my opinion) so the stain looks nice. Tort is also swirly and organic as well so it works well. The red contrasts the dark brown. The white contrasts those and the chrome gives a nice accent. :) It has a log of personality that I am very happy with. Hopefully it sounds good too. LOLOL Definitely one of my favorite finishes I have done myself.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Hold on to your modem. Major pictures incoming.

IMG_2285 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2288 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2289 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2293 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2297 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2302 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2304 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2314 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2316 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2318 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2321 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2337 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

IMG_2336 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

I am really happy with the pickup sound. The neck pickup is really warm. The bridge on it's own isn't impressive to me, but I like the sound of them both together. :) It's a keeper.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

stilettoace
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jag-Stang Project FINISHED Pg. 7

Post by stilettoace » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:42 pm

I just love how that finish came out! It looks like you took lumber off a barn and encased it in glass.
Z-poxy to fill and level the grain. Many coats of Delft. Cure a month. Wet sand at 1500, then 2600. Polish with auto rubbing compound until it glows. Got it.
That's the way I'm going to do my "Chris Craft" guitar, when I get to it. Probably a three lipstick tube jag made out of mahogany.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:17 pm

stilettoace wrote:I just love how that finish came out! It looks like you took lumber off a barn and encased it in glass.
Z-poxy to fill and level the grain. Many coats of Delft. Cure a month. Wet sand at 1500, then 2600. Polish with auto rubbing compound until it glows. Got it.
That's the way I'm going to do my "Chris Craft" guitar, when I get to it. Probably a three lipstick tube jag made out of mahogany.
Yup! I stained it before the Z-Poxy though. The trick I used was to stain it once, sand it. (The stain will stay in grain.) Stain lightly again afterwords and repeat sanding if needed. It helped increase the contrast of the light and dark areas. :)

I really enjoy finish work. My method is definitely not factory style, but it works. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Murph
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Murph » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:27 pm

every project you do is amazing, straight up
mate, I'm going on art college this summer.
am i hippedihip?

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks! That's kind of you. :) I really enjoy having a project. Keeps me busy and I learn new stuff each time.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars