New dude

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Ruttiger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New dude

Post by Ruttiger » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Long time JM player-have a red Q series Jazzmaster I got when Musicians Friend was blowing them out in 2005...I also used to have a Vista Jagmaster that I recently traded in as it was not getting played and needed some work. I bought that thing back in 1997 or whenever they first came out.

Here is the JM I still have-looking to upgrade the pickups in the VERY near future as they could use it.

TalkingBook
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New dude

Post by TalkingBook » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:29 pm

Welcome welcome neighbor. Be sure to check out this incredibly helpful comparison thread if you're planning on swapping pickups: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =7&t=33614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stuff: CIJ JM, Laney VC30, Highway One J-Bass, Markbass Little Mark Tube & Club 102

Band: litus.bandcamp.com

Ruttiger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ruttiger » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Thank you! And I have seen that thread-extensively, I think I found it doing some googling on pickups and it led me to this site. It's an incredible resource.

Kennedia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kennedia » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:21 pm

Hey Welcome!
That red tort on CAR with white covers etc looks sharp!
I've got a Q series JM too (Ocean turquoise) and have been looking at pickup options recently...
I actually think the CIJ stock pups are better than their rep though.

I see you've not swapped the bridge out either...I guess you've not had buzz issues then?
How about the trem arm?...mine rattled pretty badly till I taped it.
御茶ノ水は楽園だね!!

Ruttiger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ruttiger » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:15 am

My trem arm actually ended up getting wedged in really tight, so I haven't had any issues. As for the bridge-it had of course, terrible buzzing when I got it-I did have it set up with heavier strings, but mainly (and oddly enough) it really just seemed to go away over the years. I don't know if the bridge kind of settled in or what.

The neck pickup is good, I think, however it hums like crazy, and gets pretty muddy with any gain. The bridge pickup by itself just doesn't sound very pleasant...both together does sound pretty interesting. The guitar plays so wonderfully and stays in tune so insanely well, I feel like I should definitely get an upgrade-I'm thinking an Antiquity II in the neck and I in the bridge.

Congrats on your new guitar-assuming it is new?

Kennedia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kennedia » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:37 am

Ruttiger wrote:My trem arm actually ended up getting wedged in really tight, so I haven't had any issues. As for the bridge-it had of course, terrible buzzing when I got it-I did have it set up with heavier strings, but mainly (and oddly enough) it really just seemed to go away over the years. I don't know if the bridge kind of settled in or what.

The neck pickup is good, I think, however it hums like crazy, and gets pretty muddy with any gain. The bridge pickup by itself just doesn't sound very pleasant...both together does sound pretty interesting. The guitar plays so wonderfully and stays in tune so insanely well, I feel like I should definitely get an upgrade-I'm thinking an Antiquity II in the neck and I in the bridge.

Congrats on your new guitar-assuming it is new?
Thanks!..yes, I bought it a couple of weeks ago...and it kind of is literally new in a sense too...the guy I bought it from has had it in
storage since he bought it 10 years ago and it's never been played...totally mint...no fret or nut wear whatsoever...feels like a brand
new guitar.

I've been really impressed by the some of the same things you like about yours...the feel and tuning stability are the best I've ever experienced.
My bridge buzzed at first too...but like yours has settled down a lot after about 20 hours or so of play...but I will get some Mustang
saddles anyway to eliminate the problem entirely.

I've been having a better experience with the pups though....they're both far quieter than I expected...virtually no hum...and I really like
the sounds they produce too...especially the middle.

The antiquity pups sound like the best quality out there for the money....they cost half as much as much as the popular boutique pups while
sounding really good...so you're thinking a 2 in the neck & a 1 for the bridge?
Wouldn't that make the neck hotter than the bridge?
御茶ノ水は楽園だね!!

Ruttiger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Ruttiger » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:06 am

Possibly-I thought I saw this brought up as a possible combo on here at one point-will probably throw it out for discussion to see if anyone is using this setup before buying anything.

EVOL!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by EVOL! » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:44 am

Welcome Ruttiger. I am new here too.
Kennedia wrote:Hey Welcome!
That red tort on CAR with white covers etc looks sharp!...

...I actually think the CIJ stock pups are better than their rep though.
I concur heartily with these two points. You Jazzmaster looks killer. And I am finding that I like the CIJ pickups.
http://www.reverbnation.com/thebendingoflight
If you think my singing is bad, you should hear me play guitar.

thecosmos
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by thecosmos » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:20 am

Ruttiger wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:06 am
Possibly-I thought I saw this brought up as a possible combo on here at one point-will probably throw it out for discussion to see if anyone is using this setup before buying anything.
Bringing this thread back from the past. I too am interested in this pickup combo. Any updates on how it turned out?