Show me your organ!

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
nssn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Show me your organ!

Post by nssn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:40 pm

PJazzmaster wrote: Image
These are great! I got the exact same model. Bought it because at the time I was really into Clinic, and they use it extensively. I can barely play it, but it looks nice enough to stand around being pretty. I paid 70 euro's for mine. It's nearly mint with a few scratches on the top.

The guy I bought mine from was convinced the legs weren't removable. He told me that was his reason for selling it: he couldn't get it upstairs.
I told him I thought the legs where in fact removable but he wouldn't buy it, almost implying that I was underestimating his intelligence... So together we put the Phili in my car.
At home took the Phili out, turned it upside down, yanked the legs out and carried it upstairs to my apartment 8)

So, If you are a viking-metal guitarist from Waalwijk who sold a Phili somewhere in 2006 please consider this as good news: you will be able to get a Phili upstairs. Luckily there are still plenty around in NL. Mine's not for sale though.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:08 pm

If on is a viking guitarist from Waalwijk, one probably has more serious problems.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

livinlavidaloca
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by livinlavidaloca » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:57 am

Surfabilly wrote:The guy I bought mine from was convinced the legs weren't removable. He told me that was his reason for selling it: he couldn't get it upstairs.
I told him I thought the legs where in fact removable but he wouldn't buy it, almost implying that I was underestimating his intelligence... So together we put the Phili in my car.
At home took the Phili out, turned it upside down, yanked the legs out and carried it upstairs to my apartment 8)
Can you please tell me how to remove the legs. When I got mine I tried it but didn't manage to do it and now I don't have it with me to try again. This would make it much more portable. Thanks man! 8)

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:22 am

The bit marked X is spring-loaded and coupled to the internal latch. Press it in fully, and the latch disengages. Same with the other leg, so you either have to do this with the organ on its side or back, or you need to have a helper who lifts the organ when you're pressing both latches.

(Also see the manual I linked to earlier in the thread)

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:16 am

I was out this morning when the postman tried to deliver my new digital camera, so I guess it'll be a couple of days before I can introduce my new (old) organ.

livinlavidaloca
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by livinlavidaloca » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:21 am

Orang Goreng wrote:
Thanks man!

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:35 am

nssn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nssn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:06 am

It depends on which model you have. Mine (a GM752) has 4 individual legs that aren't held in place by latches or anything.
They can be removed simply by pulling them straight out.

livinlavidaloca
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by livinlavidaloca » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:26 am

nssn wrote:It depends on which model you have. Mine (a GM752) has 4 individual legs that aren't held in place by latches or anything.
They can be removed simply by pulling them straight out.
Yeah I think I have the same model as you ... do German control markings (Lautstärke insted of Volume) indicate mine is a GM752 too? All I know is when I first got it I tried to take it apart to take out the legs but I couldn't even take it apart for some reason ... :whistle:

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:05 am

THat, I don'tknow. Hmm.

nssn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nssn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:56 am

livinlavidaloca wrote: Yeah I think I have the same model as you ... do German control markings (Lautstärke insted of Volume) indicate mine is a GM752 too? All I know is when I first got it I tried to take it apart to take out the legs but I couldn't even take it apart for some reason ... :whistle:
I wish I could check this but the philli is about 900Km away...
The legs weren't easy to pull out. The organ is quite heavy resting down on those legs for quite some years. So it requires some efford.

Dave
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:24 am

I won't make a new thread every time I get a new organ, I'll just update with this one.

Traded a couple things for a Farfisa Compact Duo yesterday. Wish I could say 100% how it sounds, but this one's a little goofy.

You can see someone in the past stuck a bunch of extra lights on the top above the switches which is kinda cool. The filters are a little goofy, 16' doesn't work on the first octave of upper manual, some keys only play 4' no matter what you have selected, lower manual takes turns working and not working, bass section is quiet, tremolo and vibrato don't work (though repeat percussion does), the plug for the power supply has been monkeyed with, etc... I was planning on keeping one and trading the other for something else but I'm gonna have to do some work on this one before I make any decisions like that.

Nonetheless, I'm up for the challenge.. Can't wait to hear it when its up and running. Pics or it didn't happen:

Brothers!

fibreman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fibreman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:05 am

Dave, that's just showing off, frankly.

Finally got the interweb back up to share my little treasure:

Dave
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:01 am

fibreman wrote:Dave, that's just showing off, frankly.
If it was working perfectly, it would be showing off. Kinda lost on this trade as is though... luckily I've found a tech but the reapirs ain't gonna be cheap. >:(

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:36 am

Okay....I've got to grips with my point'n'shoot digicam now AND we're having golden sunshine in Glasgow today, so here's my latest white elephant:

It's a Teischord C, aka various other things depending on what part of the world it was being sold in. Mine was obviously imported/distributed in the UK by Watkins.

It has a neat feature: a hidden (spring-loaded) compartment in the lid where the legs are stored. Yes - all four legs are included!

So how does it sound? Vintage, of course! Except for a few minor niggles, naturally. A few keys of the top octave go dead when you engage either of the 16' voices. All the C#s play Cs. All the 4' voices double the last octave (i.e.C3-C4 play as expected, then it goes back down an octave from D4 upwards) - I'm not sure if this is even a fault, to be honest.

There's a slight delay before the note kicks in when you press some keys. This could be intermittent or constant, I'm not absolutely sure. Maybe it needs to warm up a bit before it stabilises. Anyway, the vibrato does the same (and the 'Full Vibrato' switch is at best temperamental, at worst kaput). Also, the Vibrato speed control seems to be constant right up to the end of its sweep, when it gets a little faster. Not that surprising, given the battery sweat-like layer of fur that coated the pot when I lifted the lid to have a look inside; that, at least, should be a simple case of swapping in a suitable replacement, I would think.

The circuit diagram inside is a plus....as is the neatly-labelled row of dividers. So fault-finding should be fairly straight-forward for a seasoned tech. Unfortunately that's not me, and my friend who's a wiz with these things has already made it clear he doesn't want to know about this job.

I know one other vintage keyboard enthusiast who I might be able to persuade to get his hands dirty on this....otherwise it'd probably cost more than it'd be worth to me for all the use I'm likely to get out of it.

It is begging to be given the full treatment though. Watch this space, I guess....