Show me your organ!

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Re: Show me your organ!

Post by Orang Goreng » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:12 am

There's afreeware mellotron out there somewhere, I think. I may even have it.

Jesus, what a fun plug-in, that Vox one. The interface looks bit more like a Jag than a conti yo me, but what do I know. I just recorded a little demo for fun. The drawbars are surprisingly subtle, except the one that's almost on/off and little inbetween. Anyway, there's a band up North who cover a Shocking Blue song, and I've played organ with them on that song in the past, just for fun. We fully intend to do it another time, and maybe even more, but you know how things go. Hard to organise, and we live 200 km apart. But just in case I make sure I regularly play the song anyway, just so I don't forget.

There's wee bit over overdriven Philicorda-though-leslie in the back of the original track, but it's almost inaudible under the one I just overdubbed with that plug-in. Never mind the timing errors, it's just for fun. Shocking Blue holds the credits to the song, The Monroes/Tocado Records to the recording. But I'm sure they don't mind, otherwise I'll take it down.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3483316/Monroes ... dcover.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

scott_va
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scott_va » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:29 am

Orang Goreng wrote:There's afreeware mellotron out there somewhere, I think. I may even have it.
So far, I've only seen Windows-only ones.
Jesus, what a fun plug-in, that Vox one. The interface looks bit more like a Jag than a conti yo me, but what do I know.
A lot more than I do, for sure. I just read somewhere that it was like a Continental, but the software author never claims that.
I just recorded a little demo for fun.
That's great--nice playing there!

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:32 am

scott_va wrote:That's great--nice playing there!
Thanks. It always makes me wonder if I would shred on a guitar if I actually could. I always think I wouldn't because of my impeccable taste, yet give me a keyboard and it's wankage all over.

scott_va
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scott_va » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:36 am

But it's impeccably tasteful *combo organ* shredding! It's almost mandatory.

Keegan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Keegan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:25 pm

:D That's amazing, OG. I can just see you doing that on stage, the whole audience standing in stunned silence.
My Fender goes to twelve.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:41 pm

Oh, I wouldn't play those bits live. The organ is a supporting instrument there. I was just fucking around.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:55 pm

OG... will you be my band :ph34r:

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:53 am

I won't be in anyone's band ever again. If you need a recorded part, OTOH, just drop me a line.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:06 am

I just dug out my combo organ - a Skyline Forty Nine P, since you ask - a couple of days ago as I want to use it on a track I'm going to record soon.
I'll get a picture up soon, but the fact that I got both it and another combo for a fiver at a car boot sale a while ago should have you all drooling in anticipation.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:08 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:I just dug out my combo organ - a Skyline Forty Nine P, since you ask - a couple of days ago as I want to use it on a track I'm going to record soon.
I'll get a picture up soon, but the fact that I got both it and another combo for a fiver at a car boot sale a while ago should have you all drooling in anticipation.
That's a deffo on the latter statement. I've never heard of the Skyline brand, which makes it even more interesting. Where was it made?

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:14 am

Orang Goreng wrote:
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:I just dug out my combo organ - a Skyline Forty Nine P, since you ask - a couple of days ago as I want to use it on a track I'm going to record soon.
That's a deffo on the latter statement. I've never heard of the Skyline brand, which makes it even more interesting. Where was it made?
There's no legending to provide clues to its origins and I haven't looked inside it, but I'd guess it's a standard Italian job - probably from the late 70s/early 80s, near the end of the line for those kind of organs.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:16 am

I'm enjoying that Vox plug-in more and more. It's very limited, which is a good thing. Normally, when I record I start with the sound of each instrument individually adjusted to my taste. My taste is "mids and grit", which typically means that after eight tracks, I end up with only mids and grit, which means I have to change every sound again. This organ sound is much brighter and thinner than I would normally set it. Consequence is that it separates from the guitars so much better. Awesome.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:16 am

I liked your Jaguar/Continental demo too, by the way.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:19 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote: There's no legending to provide clues to its origins and I haven't looked inside it, but I'd guess it's a standard Italian job - probably from the late 70s/early 80s, near the end of the line for those kind of organs.
Get your camera out then. In the legendary words of Inspector Frost: Chop, chop!!!

The majority of combo organs were built by a handful of Italian manufacturers, rebadging the hell out of them. Knobs and lay-out may provide interesting guesses.

I once didn't buy a Lancia organ, because I didn't need it. In retrospect, that was quite stupid. I mean, having "Lancia" on a Combo organ... I'm secretly hoping there are combo Ferraris and Maseratis out there.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:16 am

Orang Goreng wrote:I won't be in anyone's band ever again.
The in was left out on purpose...