"Vintage" bushings....a comparison & a questions (of course)...

Bringing your older offset back to life.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

"Vintage" bushings....a comparison & a questions (of course)...

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:13 am

Right, this is for the guys'n'girls who've dealt with this kind of thing before. Please observe the two pictures.

The top photo is my Klusons that were added to a 1960 neck that already had bushings in place . I left them in.
The bottom photo is the 6 bushings that came with my Klusons. I was told that they'd send bushings aswell, even though they weren't mentioned in the auction (so they were basically free)
I'd assumed that they were the real deal but, under closer inspection...
a) They look slightly different to the ones on my neck (notice the inner circle is raised slightly higher)
b) The last two (on the right) are slightly different (you can't tell from the picture but they're about a millimetre shorter)

I've looked on GPR and compared but none are the same. I'm also trying to find an older thread on a guy who makes great repro's(help...it was a recent post) to see if they're the same as the bottom 6 shown above.

So. Questions. Which, in your opinion are the correct 1960 bushings? Whats the difference, if any between the first 4 and the last 2??

Oh, and finally. I'm selling the bottom ones so I'd love a suggested (fair) price so I can add them to the "for sale or trade" section. I seem to remember "that repro guy" was selling them for £40 but I could be mistaken.

Sorry if this is a fiddly, overly detailed question. Its just that differences in JM parts seem to be, well, fiddly & overly detailed!!  :)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Re: "Vintage" bushings....a comparison & a questions (of course)...

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:05 am

Every original set that I have now looks exactly like the top set that were original on your neck. I am not sure what the others would have been from. Every reproduction set I have had or do have still looks just like the top photo. They could be original ones, just from another year, but I am not sure. I would definitely use the set that was in the neck though. Hopefully someone else will jump in who does know what those are from.

Justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:10 am

That is a photo from Jim's site. It shows the reissues as being the same as originals (except for the plating). Maybe I'm wrong, but the bottom set (in your photos) look like they could be from individual Klusons like those used on Gibsons. That might be worth looking into just to figure out what they actually are.

Justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:51 am

i love sharin foo wrote: Every reproduction set I have had or do have still looks just like the top photo. They could be original ones, just from another year, but I am not sure. I would definitely use the set that was in the neck though. Hopefully someone else will jump in who does know what those are from.
I figured as much, they look too grimy to be newer or replacements.
i love sharin foo wrote: Maybe I'm wrong, but the bottom set (in your photos) look like they could be from individual Klusons like those used on Gibsons. That might be worth looking into just to figure out what they actually are.
Ah. I hadn't even thought about other guitar makes. That might take some serious research. I don't wanna sell em if I don't know what they are.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

TheMilford
Expat
Expat

Post by TheMilford » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:34 am

The bushings on my '57 Supro Ranchero look like those "free" ones you posted.

Maybe they are older or they were used on different makes of guitars.
http://seasonfinale.bandcamp.com/
http://www.tronographic.com/

andrewaward
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andrewaward » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:38 am

Bottom ones are from a Gibson most probably (as someone mentioned)..........they look old enough to be 60s / 70s.

Not a lot of value to them as they are a "mix n match" set............

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:55 am

oh well. Looks like I may ebay them after all.

TheMilford
Expat
Expat

Post by TheMilford » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:10 pm

the middle (4th from the left) looks different than all of them.
http://seasonfinale.bandcamp.com/
http://www.tronographic.com/