Re: Jazzmaster body dating...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jazzmaster body dating...

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:22 pm

...I've followed someones suggestion in another thread & have put my Tortoise/nitro guard underneath something very flat & heavy. Its been there 36 hours & its coming out in the morning.

I've obviously had to take the whole guitar apart to get it off & I've been struck with a thought.

Yep. I'm thinking of fiddling with my guitar again!!

When I bought it the body was completely covered in an awful black/off black paint-job. Since reading posts on this forum I gather most early Jazzmasters had a date written on the body, under the neck pick-up.

Question - As its a fairly hidden area do you think its worth carefully scraping the paint off to see if there's a date written?? As they're usually pencilled its possibly a pointless idea. I'm just curious.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:41 pm

All the body dates I've ever seen were in pencil .. you could probably uncover it if you had the means to take the paint off say a micron at a time but I can't imagine how you'd manage it by hand .. I could be wrong I guess.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:34 am

isn't there the chance that it's already long gone if the original finish was stripped.. or was it ???

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:45 am

It was stripped but not in the body cavities. I'm giving up on the idea anyway. I want to rebuild it, my attempt at flattening the guard hasn't worked.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:13 am

:(

I don't know if you read the thread but a while back Zhivago sent the pickguard from the '64 JM he had at the time to Fullerplast who put it between two heavy pieces of glass and left it out in the hot Florida sun for a few days. It really flattened it out so I think the heat softening it up while being under pressure is key.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:14 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote: Question - As its a fairly hidden area do you think its worth carefully scraping the paint off to see if there's a date written?? As they're usually pencilled its possibly a pointless idea. I'm just curious.
my '59 body had apparently been renfinished a bunch of times, and i used a heat gun to remove finish in the cavities. i can still relatively clearly make out the penciled date, it looks as if it has sort of sunk into the wood.

it could be worth a try...

geoffreysnow
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by geoffreysnow » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:55 pm

worth a try especially if the scraped area can't be seen after assembly

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:20 pm

daydreamdelay wrote: :(

I don't know if you read the thread but a while back Zhivago sent the pickguard from the '64 JM he had at the time to Fullerplast who put it between two heavy pieces of glass and left it out in the hot Florida sun for a few days. It really flattened it out so I think the heat softening it up while being under pressure is key.
indeed, this worked pretty well :)
Resident Spartan.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:56 pm

??? Holy shit guys!!!  ??? Why didn't I think of that before!!!  :-[ Talk about Mohammed & the mountain. If I can't bring the Florida sun to London (can anyone?? Answers on a postcard, please!!) I'm gonna see if I can send this little puppy out to Florida.

So. Mr Fullerplast, if you read this post (& I appreciate you've already sent me screws free of charge..much respect). If I send you my Pickguard can you do the "glass panels" trick on it. Name your poison if necessary. My fat slab of a bockcase aint doing the trick!!

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:01 pm

Also. I've no Heat Gun (like mynameisjonas suggested) but I've got a bunch of razor blades & a bag of patience!!! D'ya reckon it'd be worth a go - just slowly scraping away at the paintwork?

Funnily enough I'll have to scratch over the refinners signature.  :D I never liked it there in the first place!!

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:55 pm

I never date a Jazzmaster just for it's body!
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:43 am

my body signature is in the bridge pup cavity...

Resident Spartan.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:21 am

zhivago wrote: my body signature is in the bridge pup cavity...
mine too. forgot to mention that...