Re: The Fender Color Chart

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
robroe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The Fender Color Chart

Post by robroe » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:11 pm

I (re)made the entire fender color chart with clickable examples of each color. 
there are still a couple gaps i need help filling with stock photography, and 2 or 3 of the numbers don't seem to have a color assigned to them at all.
all the way down at the bottom Firemist Silver is reissued on a custom shop tele with the color #283....but im not sure what # it was before it got assigned 283....
the only blank spots i have left on the chart are 53 and 65 so i reckon its gotta be one of them.

http://www.choosebronze.com/fendercolorchart.htm

it would be so awesome if you guys could help me fill in the gaps on my chart with good stock photos of the colors im missing.  i cant find them anywhere, and ive been working on this page for a week now.  here's the list i need.

#-----COLOR
11 red paisley
13 blue sparkle  --------  FOUND by FALL REVERB
16 champangne sparkle
17 silver sparkle -------- FOUND by FALL REVERB
33 violin sunburst
35 ebony sunburst
36 blue burst
42 honey burst
49 seafoam green ----- seems like an easy color to find a stock photo but i cant anywhere
53 ?
55 frost white
59 back pearl
60 emerald green transparent
65 ?
68 lime green
76 midnight purple  ------- one of those ugly satin mexican strats w/ black pickguard im guessing
84 copper
93 purple metallic ------ a cyclone came in this color a couple years ago but a photo was never released that i know of
94 purple transparent
97 ?

check out the chart i made.  I had a fun time doing it, and its a hell of a lot more complete than the one they got on fender.com
if you find any guitar photos post em in this thread and i will put them up!
after putting so much time into making this thing i would love for as many people as possible to see/use it so feel free to post the URL on other message boards if you want.

Thanks!
Last edited by robroe on Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

robroe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by robroe » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:13 pm

also were blue flower strats or pink paisley ever assigned color numbers ? or did they just go with shell pink and dbl color codes?

Infliktor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Infliktor » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:44 pm

your welcome to take from my site if anything is suitable

I have a champagne tele and a blue green flip flop maybe more

photos may not be suitable though

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:35 pm

i do not know if it is your sample or my monitor, but the daphne blue looks like no DB I have ever seen.

All of the DB guitars I have seen in real life (including my CS strat) are a shade of (pastel) green

in fact I think it is the pastel colours ( sonic blue, daphne blue, sky blue,  foam green, surf green, surf pearl) that fender always has the most trouble representing on their colour chart.

btw  ... quite useful site ...  well done
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:36 am

Nice job .. keeping it just to stock photos is a great idea.

I do agree with sook though .. in fact, I think your sonic blue and daphne blue photos need to be swapped.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Fall reverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fall reverb » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:23 am

Nice idea, robroe!

Here's a pic of a Squier Supersonic with a blue sparkle finish -

A Silver Sparkle Squier Jagmaster -

Sea Foam Green -

http://www.gpguitars.com/images/CRW_2851.JPG

I would also add Mocha Brown, a colour that was quite often used by Fender in the 70's -

Here's a link to a pic of a 1971 Rosewood Telecaster -
http://www.davesguitar.com/product/C46098.JPG

In the early 80's Fender also released Strats with new finishes, categorized as 'international colours'; these were Monaco Yellow, Sahara Taupe, Maui Blue and Capri Orange, and several examples of these Strats can be seen here :
http://www.strat-central.com/cbs80s.htm

Let's also not forget Desert Sand, which was a.o. used by Fender in the late 50's on Duo Sonics -

Hope this helps a bit! ;)
Last edited by Fall reverb on Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man's got to know his limitations"...

robroe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by robroe » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am

THANKS FOR THE 2 VISTA PHOTOS!  i can stick em in photoshop and twist / blow them up!

thanks for all the other feedback too!  ill try and answer all the questions in one post

also....international colors are a good idea....but i need number codes for them before they go into the list.
same with mocha.  i found an old color chart from 1970.  some of the color numbers still match my chart to this day....and some of them dont....

for example, firemist silver is on it but its #08 which is now OTM.  OTM on the 1970 chart is #07  which is vintage blond now
but colors like sunburst, blonde, LPB, and black still hold the same numbers.

Antigua IS on the 1970 chart but its listed as #19 which is now sage green.

to answer your question about the daphne blue telecaster i put up....its a highway1 telecaster.  the highway 1 series paint jobs have always been a Satin Nitro finish.  its the same DBL as any other DBL its just they don't blow the high gloss on it.  its just how highway 1's are.  on the other hand I own a DBL MG65 mustang and the daphne they used on all the brand new mustangs is alot lighter than new DBL strats coming off the line too.  so basicly fender is putting out 3 shades of daphne blue right now.

you cant flip photos of the sonic blue and daphne blue because jagstangs never came in daphne blue, only sonic blue

robroe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by robroe » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:10 am

ohh yea, also desert sand was already on my list at 89

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:22 am

same with mocha
Ah... Mocha. Probably the most mis-diagnosed and misunderstood Fender color.

I remember a huge argument in the Tele section of the FDP concerning Mocha. I and several others felt 100% sure that that's what the color was called in the early/mid 70s. There was a much smaller handful that insisted that color was Walnut, and everyone was posting links and telling stories to back up their claim. Unfortunately, all the many links that backed up the color being Mocha were to dealers who were advertising a guitar in that color. After alot of debate, someone finally showed up and produced an actual Fender color chart from 1973 or 4 that identified it as Walnut, and a list from the early 80s that included Mocha. I think the early 80s list was from just after the International Color timeframe.

Based on the hard evidence from Fender themselves, I had to agree that the translucent brown found on the mid 70s guitars was actually Walnut. Mocha came much later and was a brown similar to Sahara Taupe.

I found this hard to accept. Almost everyone believes the 70s color is Mocha... even owners of the color and practically all the dealers and "experts". It's hard to shift on something after all these years, but the facts seem to be the facts. If anyone has hard evidence to the contrary, I'd love to see it!

8)
Q. Are we not men?

robroe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by robroe » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:51 am

fall reverb, your stock photos of the vistas are now included on the chart!  thanks.

i used the dressing room to make a sea foam green jazzmaster.

i would like to include a banner for this website at the top of the color chart like i did shortscale, but the banner at the top of this forum is in 2 pieces, 2 formats, and its a mess when you try and save it.  has anyone here made a single jpg banner for this site or is there a thread with a bunch of them ?

robroe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by robroe » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:53 am

also while searching last night i found a year 2000 richie samboura black paisley strat.  i have no idea what # it is either.  but i got a stock photo!!

is the J Mascis jazzmaster purple sparkle or purple metallic ?

serial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by serial » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:00 pm

I have most of these numbers on some old Fender stuff.  Either a catalog or a Frontline. 

Definitely on the Walnut.  I've got a bunch of old 70s Fender Catalogs and that's the finish listed.
Destiny's in her evening gown; you're always running late.
You tell her she looks wonderful but she'll just have to wait.

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:11 pm

sookwinder wrote: i do not know if it is your sample or my monitor, but the daphne blue looks like no DB I have ever seen.
That looks to be a Highway 1 Tele, so the matte finish is probably a big part of the discrepancy.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

fenderjapan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fenderjapan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:47 am

robroe wrote: also while searching last night i found a year 2000 richie samboura black paisley strat.  i have no idea what # it is either.  but i got a stock photo!!

is the J Mascis jazzmaster purple sparkle or purple metallic ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Ltd-editio ... dZViewItem
A+6 digits = 1997-1998
Last edited by fenderjapan on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:01 am

fullerplast wrote:
same with mocha
Ah... Mocha. Probably the most mis-diagnosed and misunderstood Fender color.

I remember a huge argument in the Tele section of the FDP concerning Mocha.
I remember that. There's a Walnut/Mocha (being cheeky here) Mustang (!!) on eBay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0095484658

"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."